Quantcast
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 problem - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 problem
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 problem

Hi, I'm new to the forums, I'm having a problem with my Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 interface/mixer.

It was working fine up until yesterday, basically when I record (I'm using Reaper) I don't get any signal unless I really shout into my mics or tap them hard. Even then all I get is a very distorted track of what I've shouted etc, at a very low volume.

I've done a bunch of tests and the following are alright:

-XLR leads
-Microphones
-USB cable
-Laptop

This morning I also recorded into both Reaper and Audacity with a Behringer uca202 coming out of a Tascam Portastudio coupled with an M-Audio Buddy preamp (my old setup for demoing stuff) and that worked fine.

So basically I've ruled out everything except the mixer. It turns on fine, lights up and I can get it to clip so I think the problem must be somewhere later on in the chain. I get the same results no matter which of the channels I use and like I said its taking signal in so I don't think its dodgy XLR inputs anyway. The mixer hasn't taken a knock or anything.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks a lot guys,
Luke
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Found this thread when researching the Multimix 8. Are all 4 mic channels bad? Do line level inputs work?
Old 28th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth ➡️
Found this thread when researching the Multimix 8. Are all 4 mic channels bad? Do line level inputs work?
Thanks for the reply, everything seems to be fine except the USB output, I'm just using the main mix outputs into an old Tascam Portastudio as a soundcard. Recording drums this way means I can still use 4 mics on the kit but the tracks can't be mixed seperately. Kinda annoying as its trial and error trying to get a decent sound this way, it does sound good after moving the mics around but defeats the purpose of the Multimix
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ok so the analog part of the mixer is still fine, which narrows it down to a couple of possibilities:

1) The Multimix's ADC. You might be screwed if this is the case since you probably won't be able to fix it yourself. Is it still under warranty?
2) The drivers. Maybe try re-installing ASIO or see if Alesis has a driver update on their website.
3) DAW/computer. Did anything change with your computer? If you installed something that's eating your CPU/memory resources, you may have to re-adjust your buffer size and drive error compensation.
📝 Reply