Quantcast
Favorite low end mic for bass cabs - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite low end mic for bass cabs
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Favorite low end mic for bass cabs

What's your favorite "low end" mic for recording bass cabs. I'd like to keep it around $200 but would be willing to splurge for a Heil PR40 but I think it's kind of similar to the M88 in many ways so I don't want a muddy mess down low in the mix.

I usually record a Markbass 1x12" combo and run a DI, but I'm looking to blend in a mic.

Typically the following mics get used for drums.

Beyer M88 kick
Beyer M201 Snare
Audix D2/D4 or CAD M179 on toms
overheads can vary

So since a lot of the time my bassist likes track while I drum I can't use my preferred weapons of choice D4 or M88.

So what would you guys do pickup a used AKG D112, used Beta 52, used ATM25, something else. Obviously I'd like something with a different EQ from whatever I use on kick so that the two don't interfere with each other.

Since I usually use D4 on floor tom I could pickup an additional one without encountering issues.

Obviously it'd be nice to have another flavor around to use on kick drum where the more pre EQ'd sound is desired which is why the D112 would be appealing. In these instances I could throw the M88 on the bass cab.

I may also consider using the D112 with something like an i5/e609 to do high-low miking on guitar cabs.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apex 205. Simply unbelievable. Take out the inner perforated filter and check ribbon sag and you will have one the most killer bass mics there is. I like it better than the Beta52 (for bass). YMMV.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sennheiser e602
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
used seinnheiser MD421 will be nice
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
any of the Beyer M-88/EV RE-20/Sennheiser MD-421 etc style mics that float your boat. I'm a fan of the 88 and the 441/421. Very useable on so many other instruments and the 88, 20, 441 make great vocal mics, too.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Try the Shure Beta 52A
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
+1. Loving a used Beta 52 on bass amp (a tiny Eden Nemesis practice amp). Liking it more than the D112 I used to use. I use a high pass filter to cut the bass in the low kick frequencies to keep them from clashing.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
oddly enough I don't have a 421 right now perhaps that's money better spent I love how I forget about obvious options
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Heil PR40 is killer on bass cabs, of course it is important to what preamp you plugin it. But it is really not low end mic. Mine is going to Daking
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PR40, ATM25,GrooveTubes GT55, 421,all the rest.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzxtreme ➑️
Sennheiser e602
This, in combination with a 57/58.

My go-to bass recording setup, no DI required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie folk guy ➑️
a 421
If you like old school bass sounds a 421 is nice, but I wouldn't exactly call it my favorite on bass cab.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
well I do own other good bass cab mics
M88 and D4 to name a couple but I'm just thinking worse case scenario if I'm using them on drums while tracking a bassist.

and I like old school sound so that works
so basically I'm leaning toward PR40 or MD421. With the possibility of D112 or Beta 52.

I figured adding another flavor to my mic collection would be better than duplicating what I already have.

The e602 is a great suggestion I used to love using those on kick drums the other benefit is they sell for about $160 now.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Beta 52 in combination with a 57 (to capture some bite).

Used this set-up along with a little DI mixed in on this recording: Temporary Solution by aFREUDIANSLIP - YouTube
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungler ➑️
Beta 52 in combination with a 57 (to capture some bite).

Used this set-up along with a little DI mixed in on this recording: Temporary Solution by aFREUDIANSLIP - YouTube
I remember seeing aFreud a number of times when they played with BOB.
Old 21st September 2012
Deleted 6aa6ee2
AKG Perception 200 on a 15in cab about 3 feet out. Dial in sound to taste, blends well with DI and gives some fullness, paired with transformer based pre (GAP73 on the low side) can give a nice sound that mixes well.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

I like the m179 - with a good room and proper placement, no DI is needed.

-tINY

Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
RE20 on Bass Cabinet.

Best,
Old 21st September 2012

🎧 15 years
I tried sm57, re20, md421 and at4033 in a blind test and I picked the at4033. Usually under $200 used.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not sure I would call any of my usual suspects -- RE-20, MD421, PR40, 44BX -- "low end". But occasionally (especially for a grind-y rock sound) I find an SM57 is just what the doctor ordered.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Haha, nice! Yeah that was my band for many years. Small world!
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Recently slapped a sm58 on my bassists cab, directly on the cone. Blends really well with the DI I also took.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross ➑️
Not sure I would call any of my usual suspects -- RE-20, MD421, PR40, 44BX -- "low end". But occasionally (especially for a grind-y rock sound) I find an SM57 is just what the doctor ordered.
I suppose for a dynamic mic they are on the premium side but to me most sub $500 mics are low end I wouldn't really consider them high end or high fidelity oftentimes these dynamics are very vibey and less versatile than a high end ribbon/condenser (in the $1k+ category)

I suppose low end and high end just vary depending on budget and perception

You could consider AKG D112, Shure SM57, Shure SM58, and many other "low end" mics "high end" because they are in every venue/studio for the most part.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Apex 205. Simply unbelievable. Take out the inner perforated filter and check ribbon sag and you will have one the most killer bass mics there is. I like it better than the Beta52 (for bass). YMMV.
How close in can/should you get a ribbon mic?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheva ➑️
How close in can/should you get a ribbon mic?
You can get it as close as you like. Since it's a figure 8, you'll have to balance the proximity effect from very close placements with the ambient room noise picked up on the back end of the mic with further placements. Just make sure to keep it away from any port holes. You don't want to damage the mic. I will usually place mine about 3-6 inches off the grill, but that's just me. Experiment and find out what you like best. Each situation will be different.

I've used the Apex 205 on bass cabinet before, and it's a good mic for that application. In fact, the Apex 205 does an amazing job with the low end, especially if you swap out the transformer for a Lundahl. Currently, however, I tend to use the Apex 205 for kick drum, and not so much for bass guitar cab. Recently, I've discovered something I like even better.

Now i run the bass through a DI and use an AT4033 on the cab. The AT4033 is excellent at preserving all the detail, snap, and presence of the bass while cutting out a bunch of the mud that would otherwise just slow me down come mix time. So now I use the DI track for the low end heft and the AT4033 for the definition, so you feel the DI, but hear the AT4033.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound ➑️

Now i run the bass through a DI and use an AT4033 on the cab. The AT4033 is excellent at preserving all the detail, snap, and presence of the bass while cutting out a bunch of the mud that would otherwise just slow me down come mix time. So now I use the DI track for the low end heft and the AT4033 for the definition, so you feel the DI, but hear the AT4033.
Yup!
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
nice to see so much AT4033 love I just picked up an AT4033a from here and it should be here in the next few days.

I'd always loved that mic for acoustic and electric guitars, it's not bad for drum overheads and certain vocals.

Now I have much food for thought.

I've been looking to get a pair of long ribbon mics for some time. I was thinking of getting a pair of Cascade Vin Jets with Lundahls which appear to be the same price as the Apex 205 with mods.
Old 24th September 2012

🎧 15 years
My bass isolation cabinet with 4033a mic.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite low end mic for bass cabs-iso-bass-2.jpg  
Old 24th September 2012
Deleted 1846071
I also like the Apex 205 & AT 4040. Apex is more woofy, AT is more tight.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apex 205 "can" be "woofy" if you don't take out the inner perforated ribbon filter/shield. Remove them from both sides of the ribbon mechanism and see how this mic opens up. There are even some before and after clips somewhere online. Also, placement is key. I find that if you back the mic off a minimum of 6-8 inches there are all kinds of tones you can achieve with subtle mic placement changes. I was surprised that i could get a more defined sound by backing the mic up off the grill. Strange, even counterintuitive but true IME.

Also, agreed that the 205 is a killer kick drum mic. I use it like I would use a subkick. I did a shootouts between the 205, a DIY subkick and a Yamaha Subkick (you know the $400 dollar one) and the Apex came out on top. I literally tried dozens of placement angles and distances and the Apex won every time. YMMV. I do need to try an at 4033 though. Soon.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
ok so you guys are really tempting me with the ribbon idea

it looks like an oktava modded apex 205 is $399
cascade vin jet lundahl is $399

what about a golden age project R1 tube active ribbon mic at $299, not sure if it'd need mods but for kick drum (like a subkick) and bass cab that transformer and tube smoothness might be kinda cool in a musical way?
πŸ“ Reply