Quantcast
Favorite low end mic for bass cabs - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite low end mic for bass cabs
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
You don't need to send the Apex out for modding. Just open up the mic and remove the inner perforated screen filters on either side of the mic. It's very simple. Just be careful to grip the screws tightly when removing or the ribbon's magnet will suck them into the ribbon causing a sag or a tear. I did this and had to retention my ribbon. Do a search. There are before and after clips on the web and they are not subtle. If you are daring there are instructions on how to do other mods to the mic but I don't feel they are necessary. Apex 205 is a great inexpensive ribbon mic on low/sub frequency instruments.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I just figured the lundahl tranny might be a worthwhile upgrade to the stock one they usually tend to open up the mic a little and add some clarity.

but I'm still interested to see if anyone has tried that GAP tube ribbon mic. I like the idea of potentially blending the Ribbon with a dynamic mic on kick drum.

however spending $100 on the apex and removing the mesh myself is tempting I've also just heard that sometimes they have QC issues and sometimes have ribbon sag, etc. So I figured buying a Shinybox/Cascade or an oktavamod mic would avoid the QC issues and address the acoustic issues.
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
It's a bit late if you've made the ribbon route your choice but, the PR40 is great for more than just bass instruments. I've used it on guitars, vocals, baritone brass, etc... A very versatile mic! And it sounds great on kick and bass guitar. Haha
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Audix D4! Blended nicely with my DI coming from Ampeg Tube SVT.

Peter.
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I love the MD421 on bass cabs. It has sort of a gritty sound to it, perfect for punk/rock stuff. For smoother sounds I prefer to use my AT4050. Can't go wrong with either of those.

Never used a ribbon on bass cabs though, something I must try!

I think that the Cascade Fathead ribbon mics sounds great in stock form (I own a pair).
But I'm also interested in the Golden Age R1. Though i've read that the Active FET version of the R1 sounds better than the tube version.
๐Ÿ“ Reply