Quantcast
Using RME Babyface compressor or... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using RME Babyface compressor or...
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Using RME Babyface compressor or...

is it better to go for FMR RNC 1773 VS the Babyfaces inbuilt compressor/other compressor plugins?

Do you think an external compressor hooked up to Babyface would be waste of money$?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by therush ➡️

Do you think an external compressor hooked up to Babyface would be waste of money$?
Generally speaking, yes. Why use a compressor at all? What are you trying to do? We needed compressors with analog tape because of dynamic range concerns. In a 24 bit recording world, we have no need to concern ourselves with dynamic range. We use compression in mixes, or use outboard compressors as 'flavors' rather than to protect the dynamic range. If you can put some high dollar comp (or a comp of which you happen to like the sound...) on an input to try to achieve a certain sound on the way in, why not? But I personally only compress in context of a mix.
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I read that some combine the FMR RNC 1773 with Babyface, and experience a warm natural compression on the guitar-line signal, eliminating buzz and whatsoever.
But if theres a ton of plugins that produce the transparant quality like the FMR RNC 1773...then yes waste of money...
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by therush ➡️
I read that some combine the FMR RNC 1773 with Babyface, and experience a warm natural compression on the guitar-line signal, eliminating buzz and whatsoever.
But if theres a ton of plugins that produce the transparant quality like the FMR RNC 1773...then yes waste of money...
How do you eliminate buzz with a compressor? If you have a buzz in your guitar setup, find it and kill it. Far better answer than trying to mask it or hide it under more gear.

My own mantra is to keep it simple and clean. Usually better results are gained by fixing a problem, and usually the simpler setup/signal path yields better sound.

The RNC has a great reputation as a budget piece of gear, but you have to recognize it for what it is... a budget piece of gear. Consider if you need an outboard compressor at all, and if you do, what you expect it to do for you. If you need a budget external compressor, maybe the RNC is the right answer. In the box effects offer a whole lot for very little money, and you can open as many instances on as many tracks as you need, until you choke your computer, and there are so many emulations of the classic high dollar compressors available that I would find it hard to justify buying a single outboard unit. (For example, a few months ago UAD blew out their laptop Express Card which included a couple of different Urie 1176 emulations for $200. I bought a $30 Express Card adapter for my desktop, and now I have multiple 1176s available on either my desktop or my laptop for a total expense of $230. Seems like a better deal than $175 for a single outboard comp.)
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tracking with a compressor is an option but not a necessity unless you are tracking to tape.
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you for your words of recordingwisdom on the subject

Now I have some options to consider before I´ll start recording with Logic Pro 9.
📝 Reply