Worth upgrading to UR824 ?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Worth upgrading to UR824 ?

Dear All,
Hello.

I recently upgraded from a Fast track Pro to UR28M and there has been a drastic change in quality IMHO. I do not record externally and do all production within the DAW and use softsynths.

Are the converters on the UR824 better than those on the UR28M and will upgrading to the UR824 from my current UR28M give any noticable improvement in sound clarity and depth ?

Or does the UR824 have only more I/O than the UR28M and the pre's and converters are the same?

Converter quality is of prime importance for me..

So shoud l ,

1. Spend another $500 and upgrade to the UR824 from the UR28M?

2. stick with the UR28M and buy and external AD/DA , like the RME ADI-2 ?

please chime in,

thanks and best regards,
Chandan
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Same converters, save your money.

This is directly from a Higher -up at Yamaha Canada.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Sir ,

Did you personally try out both the UR28M and UR824 to be sure that they both sound the same ? OR is this just based upon what some marketing rep said ?

As per info on the steinberg website , the UR28M supposedly does NOT have the JETPLL jitter elimination tech which the UR824 has , so practically the UR824 should sound better ?

Just wanted to know that for the extra $500 , did they upgrade the converters too ?

Best Regards,
Chandan
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll go one better than that. My wife has the UR28m and I have an MR 816 csx and I can't tell the difference.

Reason......same converters.

Save your money........ Hey sounds like the guy from the old ING Direct ad !!
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by targa2 ➑️
Same converters
No? A forum member said the 824 sounded a LOT better.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK.

You win.

Spend the money.

BTW. The guy from Yamaha who told me about the converters was no rank and file marketing rep. He's management and a very no bull**** guy whom I've dealt with on numerous occasions through Club Cubase.

He has absolutely no good reason to tell me a lie regarding the specs because I have their flagship interface and he knows that. In fact it would have been to his advantage to tell me the UR28 M was inferior to the MR 816 because I was getting ready to buy my wife the MR 816 and I asked the guy at a Club Cubase meeting if there was any significant difference to these new units.

If he wanted to put another $800 in Yamahas till he would have lied and said " oh god...get another MR 816 It's waaaaaaaaaaay better. "

If there local marketing rep ( whom I have met ) had have told me the same thing I would question him because he's not of the the same class of character as the guy I dealt with.

Last edited by targa2; 21st September 2012 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you read the specs in both interfaces you will see they don't have the same converters. I tried both and can tell you the 824 sounds a lot better (better conversion also than rme or motu) in my two monitors (KRK V6 s2 and PMC TB2s+).
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So the 824 converters are different than the 816x, and the ur28m are the same as the 816x? Am I getting that right?
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No mate, each one have diferent converters, in scale quality : 28-816-824 ... 28 is not much better than most of the rest of audio interfaces in the market.
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hello All,

I finally recieved the UR 824 last week and it does indeed sound a whole LOT different than the UR28M . clearly the converters are not the same and the overall sonic fidelity and stereo seperation is indeed far superior.

Best Regards,
chandan singh
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good mate! I will probably get mine for christmas if Steinberg release the ultimate recording pack with cubase 7 included (not 6.5 with 7 upgrade posibility).
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The fast track mkii, mobile, pro, etc. were real duds. I don't think you will notice such a big difference from additional upgrades.

My main interface right now is a Focusrite but for my laptop I like the cheap light m-audio stuff.
I had a fast track mkii and it had pres that sounded like a battery powered sony tape recorder from 1993. The fast track C400 was a major upgrade.
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hey guys,

I'm also looking to move from Motu Ultralite which I have for many years. My budget is $1000 and looking at MR816, UR824 and Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. As a cubase user would I benefit more from steinberg products or FLS 56 would be better option.

Thanks
Old 25th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
What are your i/o requirements?

I love the sound of my Focusrite and at long last (just in the past few months) they've finally sorted out their drivers and I'm getting great latency but the hardware itself is unreliable. I'm on my third replacement in under a year and I will not be a return customer when the warranty is up.

If any RME product within your budget meets your i/o requirements then I would highly recommend looking at their stuff.
Old 30th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solic ➑️
Hey guys,

I'm also looking to move from Motu Ultralite which I have for many years. My budget is $1000 and looking at MR816, UR824 and Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. As a cubase user would I benefit more from steinberg products or FLS 56 would be better option.

Thanks
If you have firewire connectivity , the FLS 56 is awesome and has really low jitter !

Besides , one problem with the UR824 dsp mixer is that it can't be used when cubase is running . What a bummer !
Old 23rd January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersync.09 ➑️
Hello All,
I finally recieved the UR 824 last week and it does indeed sound a whole LOT different than the UR28M .
clearly the converters are not the same and the overall sonic fidelity and stereo seperation is indeed far superior.
Best Regards,
chandan singh
Hi ! thanks for the valuable advice
One question ... well two.
As i am interested only on line level signals, i.e. ADA conversion quality (i intend to use an external mic preamp if needed) is it possible to by-pass the internal mic preamps ?
Moreover, i guess your comparison has been made by-passing the mic preamps ? if not you could listen differences caused by their quality.
I think the mic preamps in the 824 are on a higher level than those on the UR28M.
Which OS are you using by the way ?
Thanks a lot again, gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 23rd January 2015 at 08:44 AM..
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
is it possible to by-pass the internal mic preamps ?
No it is not possible to bypass the preamps.
Old 23rd January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➑️
No it is not possible to bypass the preamps
Hi and thanks for the information.
This is a pity ... and a limit
With this feature a cheap but very well designed and built interface could be competitive in a high end set-up.
Preamps cannot be that good in a cheap unit.
From what i understand mic preamps in the end are what gives a characteristic "flavour" to sound.
There are sound engineers in love with their preamps/consolles ....
Regards, gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 14th February 2015 at 07:56 PM..
πŸ“ Reply