Quantcast
$100 at guitar center...go! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
$100 at guitar center...go!
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
$100 at guitar center...go!

so i recently got a $100 gift card at guitar center.

i'm mainly interested in recording gear / mics rather than instruments or cables or mic stands.

here's what i got
3 akg C418's
2 sm57's
2 akg c1000's (yeah, yeah, i know, i know)
2 cascade fathead II's
akg d112
akg perception 220
cad equitek e100
oktava mk319
sennheiser e609
a custom sub kick
little nady SDC

2 focusrite sapphire pro 40's
art pro vla II

mackie control universal and extender

SO.

WHAT SHOULD I BUY? (i can maybe pitch in another $50 or so)

Last edited by hunterchristyabr; 18th September 2012 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: left off mic
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
what do you feel you need right now?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Psssssssst heh
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
GC has some great prices on used gear, I'd look at their used listing on the website.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Save up your money and get a Shure SM7b. $350 at GC. My favorite vocal mic.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
What kind of music do you record or produce? Do you record a full band? I'm guessing with a subkick that you do. If so, maybe kick in some dough for a Beta 52 or another model kick mic for bass cabs. If you record heavy guitar, maybe a Sennheiser e609.

If it were me, I'd be coughing up another hundred for a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. Or getting a pack of Rotosound Flatwounds and some drum heads. Or looking into a piano VSTi.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
He already has a D112. ^^^

I think an audix i5 or sennheiser e906 might be a good idea, and for more money a MD421
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
I think an audix i5
this +1

or a nice sony mdr-v6 or ath-m40fs
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Two monotrons. One to mod and one to keep normal haha
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Boss ➑️
What kind of music do you record or produce? Do you record a full band? I'm guessing with a subkick that you do. If so, maybe kick in some dough for a Beta 52 or another model kick mic for bass cabs. If you record heavy guitar, maybe a Sennheiser e609.
Yeah, I do some full band stuff, some acoustic stuff, my stuff is electronic rock.

I actually have an e609, i just edited the above list since i forgot it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackstallion ➑️
Audio-Technica Pro 44 Propoint Cardioid Condenser Boundary Microphone | GuitarCenter
Hmm. interesting. i've heard of people using these as room mics. anyone have any experience?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
He already has a D112. ^^^
Well sure. But if one is tracking a live band, it's helpful to have another kick mic for recording bass when the D112 is being used on the kick. Just sayin. I had a D112 for years, but always had to borrow my friend's Sennheiser to cut rhythm tracks live.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Buy a Zoom H1 and record all your performances.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricity17 ➑️
GC has some great prices on used gear, I'd look at their used listing on the website.
+1

i've seen some pretty good microphones in the 130-150 range go for super cheap in the store (around 30 sometimes!). you might be able to get a couple decent mics with that money if you go used. or at least something to mess around with. can't guarantee what shape they'll be in though haha
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
yeah, i think i'm leaning towards outboard gear. im pulling together a list of "how about this and this vs that and those" if people wouldnt mind giving me some opinions?
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I buy the gear that I need when I need it. I don't buy gear because someone else says I might need it, though I'd consider what they said if it made sense to me, possibly for a future purchase.... when and if I needed it.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I buy the gear that I need when I need it. I don't buy gear because someone else says I might need it, though I'd consider what they said if it made sense to me, possibly for a future purchase.... when and if I needed it.
+1 best advice so far

if you have nothing to buy why buy anything at all and people wonder why the world is full of financial issues people forget how to save money they just want to spend spend spend
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
no, you're absolutely right. i just thought it would be a fun exercise in what to do with little more than this gift card.

i do need some outboard gear, and new mics are always helpful. but i'm not saying i'm going to go buy something just for the sake of buying something. just always curious what others might have to offer by way of opinion.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have a drum set, forget mics. Buy new drum heads.

Do it.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterchristyabr ➑️
no, you're absolutely right. i just thought it would be a fun exercise in what to do with little more than this gift card.

i do need some outboard gear, and new mics are always helpful. but i'm not saying i'm going to go buy something just for the sake of buying something. just always curious what others might have to offer by way of opinion.
I guess as one that has made financial mistakes in the past I don't find anything fun about spending money irresponsibly as it can become quite costly in the long run and can make living really suck.

Music is an expensive habit/hobby/addiction and so is shopping so the two don't go well together in my mind to those with poor self control.

I still stand behind taking a look at what YOU need vs getting suggestions on what you need from others.

If you have instruments in the studio new drumheads, new strings, etc can often be a no brainer or at least to stock up on such things.

I wouldn't spend $100 at GC on cables when I can fire up a soldering iron and buy bulk cable/connectors from redco for a fraction of the price.

$100 pretty much only buys you a low end workhorse dynamic mic like SM57, i5, e609, etc.

I hate sounding like a snob but the $100-$150 range really kinda sucks especially given your list of mics (which pretty much covers that price range amply).

If you had more to spend I'd say get something like a large diaphragm dynamic like Heil PR30/40, EV RE20, Sennheiser MD421/441, Beyerdynamic M88, etc. That's something I don't see on your list that could be beneficial for bass guitar, kick drums, vocals, etc.

Or maybe sell off your two LDC mics and upgrade to a better LDC.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie folk guy ➑️
I guess as one that has made financial mistakes in the past I don't find anything fun about spending money irresponsibly as it can become quite costly in the long run and can make living really suck.

Music is an expensive habit/hobby/addiction and so is shopping so the two don't go well together in my mind to those with poor self control.

I still stand behind taking a look at what YOU need vs getting suggestions on what you need from others.

If you have instruments in the studio new drumheads, new strings, etc can often be a no brainer or at least to stock up on such things.

I wouldn't spend $100 at GC on cables when I can fire up a soldering iron and buy bulk cable/connectors from redco for a fraction of the price.

$100 pretty much only buys you a low end workhorse dynamic mic like SM57, i5, e609, etc.

I hate sounding like a snob but the $100-$150 range really kinda sucks especially given your list of mics (which pretty much covers that price range amply).

If you had more to spend I'd say get something like a large diaphragm dynamic like Heil PR30/40, EV RE20, Sennheiser MD421/441, Beyerdynamic M88, etc. That's something I don't see on your list that could be beneficial for bass guitar, kick drums, vocals, etc.

Or maybe sell off your two LDC mics and upgrade to a better LDC.
Amen!!
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, I was going to let this just slide by... but...

Blowing a giftcard isn't financially irresponsible. It's a gift. It can't be invested, it doesn't accrue interest (in fact, sometimes quite the opposite!), and it's fun to spend on something you wouldn't normally buy - and to do it with someone else's money. The tired rhetoric of 'only you know what you need to buy' and 'save your money for something more expensive' is boring. Instead, tell us what you would you blow an extra hundred bucks on.

If not new drumheads, I might have a look at their used gear. Filter by category and price range.
Guitar Center
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins ➑️

Blowing a giftcard isn't financially irresponsible. It's a gift. It can't be invested, it doesn't accrue interest (in fact, sometimes quite the opposite!)
agreed. To the OP, you keep mentioning outboard gear, but I can't see spending $100 at GC on anything that exciting in that dept., unless you are patient and keep searching the used section.
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricity17 ➑️
This, without question. There was a Beyerdynamic M201 a month or so back that got marked down to $90 (didn't quite get home in time to snag it). Shure KSM 109s and 137s will go in that range. Lots of worthwhile additions for the price of a middling amount of patience.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Fullcompassaudio rocks....
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Sonic Maximizer?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzyo ➑️
Sonic Maximizer?
Please tell no one uses those!!!
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
using it based on someone else's needs is being irresponsible whether or not it's a gift imho

I could tell you to buy something you will have absolutely no need/want/use for when you could have something else that would've come in handy

Perhaps look used for some nicer mics I had no idea you could get $90 M201 mics I could go for a few of those myself.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

The 3 funkyest guitar strap they have...

-tINY

Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I doubt the OP is going to buy something because someone else needs it.
You're missing the point.

People start these kinds of threads not because they need someone to hold their hand and tell them what to buy, but because they are interested in what is working for others and where other people spend their own money. Not all of us keep a sweetwater or GC catalog as bathroom reading material (or do we?) and asking these kinds of questions opens doors to new products we sometimes overlook and never knew we couldn't do without!
πŸ“ Reply