Quantcast
SM7B set-up - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM7B set-up
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
SM7B set-up

I really want a SM7b and I see in order to get one I am going to have to weaken the wallet.

Basically I'm wondering if this cheap set up will give off decent sound?

SM7B > gap pre73 mk2 > art dual pre USB > computer/reaper.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
You're on the right track.. I've had the GAP 73(modified) for almost 3 years. With the SM7B, you'll get great results. It has enough gain on it to really push this microphone. I haven't used the mk2 model of the pre-amp so I can't vouch for that, but the original is great.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The SM7B is an incredible microphone that is quite affordable. You'd be surprised what you can do with this microphone which is quite versatile. Hey, can I use "quite" again? LOL Seriously though---it's one of those hidden gem's out there.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Several years ago I picked up an older SM7 for just under $300, off Ebay. Great investment!!.
I have yet to find someone who it DOESN'T sound good on...... where as some of the big fancy LDC's I've used can NOT claim the same thing.
You should be able to get a used SM7b for around $300.
With the other pieces you already have, you'll be doing great.
Good luck
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Awesome i was really worried if the ART interface would cause a problem but judging by the responses i should be fine.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
SM7b sounds amazing on almost any vocal, even if paired up with a cheaper preamp. That's one of the great things about it. The only problem is some preamps don't have enough gain since this is a very low output mic. However, people needing more gain can just get a cloudlifter and they're good to go.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I disagree with everything that has been said so far.
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Then why are you in here Kenny? You seem to have too much hate for the SM7b. Some people love it, some people hate it. Im on team love.

As far as your Pre amps you should be fine getting enough gain. I run mine into a Art Opto pre into my 003 surface and I've never had a bad result. Enjoy the mic. You'll enjoy it.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telestrastic ➡️
Then why are you in here Kenny? You seem to have too much hate for the SM7b. Some people love it, some people hate it. Im on team love.
I'm on team hate.

Does the OP only want to hear from team love?

Quote:
I say no. Just use a 57.
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
I'm on team hate.

Does the OP only want to hear from team love?

Well considering he was looking for help for setting up a SM7b, I would say yes he does. But regardless, feel free to spread your hate. That's something this world needs more of....
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Cheeeeeellllllllll Kenny!

Sm7b is good. Not anything super special, but if what's going in sounds good, it does a good job of picking it up.

I use it in horns, drums, cabs, and vocals. It excels at getting good lead vocal sound in bad rooms.

Use an amp with some metal in it, this baby takes on character well. The tone controls are wonderful as well, and give a full palate of different flavors.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

The proper set up is:
1) Unplug sm7 from cable
2) Place sm7 in drawer or in classified ads
3) Connect better mic to xlr cable
4) Record music

Just kidding

Kind of.

What the hell with the sm7? This is STILL going on?

And "Team Love"?

eww

I mean, it's an ok broadcast mic for people that like to eat the mic. It's ok on people that scream, but this is because basically anything will work. As just stated>sm57/58

It can be an ok instrument mic.

The incessant threads about this mic blow my mind though.

You'd think it was a freaking light saber, and everybody's aiming to be a Jedi or some sh*t.

Before you get all googly eared on the sm7, might want to check out some other mics as well.

Just sayin'

In fact, been saying for years. Have seen many people get these, use for a year, and figure it out...ie get something else.

Switches or not, good luck getting air and 3d from this microphone. Nuance isn't it's strong point.

Best of luck.
john

PS: Before the throngs of SM7 lovers burn me to a crisp, GS IS about balance no? Or has it become the SM7 police state?

Use what you works for ya I say.

EDIT: I don't actually hate this mic. That said, stirring stuff up is good now and then.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telestrastic ➡️
Well considering he was looking for help for setting up a SM7b, I would say yes he does. But regardless, feel free to spread your hate. That's something this world needs more of....
Maybe I'm reading this wrong:

Quote:
But I'm not seeing where he only wants to here a "yes" from this question.

You brought up the word "hate".

Quote:
Some people love it, some people hate it. Im on team love.
The fact that I'm not on "team love" put me on team "hate" with your wording.

It's a microphone. I don't hate you or anyone else here.

Are you afraid I'm going to change the original poster's mind?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

king 2070....love that sig.

john
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
Cheeeeeellllllllll Kenny!

Sm7b is good. Not anything super special, but if what's going in sounds good, it does a good job of picking it up.

I use it in horns, drums, cabs, and vocals. It excels at getting good lead vocal sound in bad rooms.
Maybe I have to keep looking for a "bad" sounding room because it never excelled in my rooms.

I'm sure it's fine for everything except vocals.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT ➡️

It's ok on people that scream,
I bought it for a screamer and it still sucked.

Here is the finished product:

We used the TLM 103 as my Valvet didn't sound great on him.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

mix sounds real nice and punchy especially the gtrs. Nice work....as always.

I am on laptop speakers, still sounds great.

I kinda was thinking more of the all too familiar growling Metal thing, but as I said....what really won't work on that?

See...with mixes like that one, why do people not listen?

john

I have a little soft spot for the tlm mics anyways BTW 170, 103....whatever.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I forgot that that song has no screaming. 80% of that record is screamo with some singing but I can't find anything posted. Sorry.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can take the point of view of a lot of wannabee nobodies or you can believe the real pros.

The Thriller Effect

Over the course of past 30 years, the SM7 found its way into the recording studio. Case in Point: Michael Jackson’s groundbreaking album Thriller. Quincy Jones and recording engineer Bruce Swedien used an SM7 for most of Michael’s vocals and, according to legend, all of Vincent Price’s.

It was a brave choice. First of all, Michael Jackson’s previous album, Off The Wall, had already become the first solo record to produce four Top 10 singles and a GRAMMY Award for the single “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”. That set the bar pretty high. But Jackson was determined to do even better and the same production team was put in place to make it happen. The resulting 1982 Thriller album (remember – this is vinyl) went on to become the best–selling album of all time at an unheard-of 110 million copies sold.

With all the ultra-high-end recording microphones available to the producers, why the unassuming SM7, then a standard for radio and voiceover applications? Here’s what Bruce had to say about it in his track-by-track memoir, In the Studio with Michael Jackson: “One of my absolute favourite microphones is the Shure SM7. I recorded most of the big hit records of Michael’s career with him in front of one of my SM7s. I’ve been pretty vocal about how much I love that microphone, it’s a great mic.”

“I was allowed the freedom to make microphone choices, and nobody ever said a word. I just did it. For example, I used a Shure SM7 on most of Michael’s lead vocals — ‘Billie Jean’, ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ — and boy, did that raise some eyebrows! But I love that mic, and I have six of them. The first one that I bought was in 1977 … one of the first SM7s to be used on a major music project. It’s dynamic of course and it worked just flawlessly with Michael – if you notice you can hear all the lyrics very clearly.”
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradahman ➡️
You can take the point of view of a lot of wannabee nobodies or you can believe the real pros.

Quote:
The Thriller Effect

Over the course of past 30 years, the SM7 found its way into the recording studio. Case in Point: Michael Jackson’s groundbreaking album Thriller. Quincy Jones and recording engineer Bruce Swedien used an SM7 for most of Michael’s vocals and, according to legend, all of Vincent Price’s.

Taken from the Shure microphone blog.

Truly unbiased.

BTW - I never said the mic was never used on hit records. I said it sucks for recording vocals.

I've mixed (not recorded) many great sounding records using that mic on vocals, and while the results still sound great, it was 20X as much work and frustration to get there. Something that only happens with that mic. 2nd least favorite mic is the Sony C800g. Hate that mic as well.

Is there a reason why everyone has to like this mic?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You have your opinion and that's kool. I trust Bruce Swedien's a lot more.
You shouldn't trust either of our opinions. You should try the mic yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Just because it works for Bruce, doesn't mean it will work for you.

Just because it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Just make sure you buy with a good return policy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm on team hate.
That disqualifies as much as unreserved team love. The SM7b is indeed a decent mic that shines on many sources, but not on every source (I think no mic can claim that). So I imply that "team hate" just didn't find the right setup with the right source and "team unreserved love" just hasn't found the one source the SM7B just doesn't work well with it. I'm no pro but I experienced both cases. There are voices that excell on that mic and others that just don't work well with it (at least not without excessive EQing).

Quote:
I say no. Just use a 57.
Well as there are as many "57 haters" out there as there are "SM7B haters" of what use is this recommendation? SM7B and 57 are totally different mics with totally different charachteristics - so imho a "use this instead" statement, without even knowing what source the OP exactly want's to record, is absurd.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons ➡️
The SM7B is an incredible microphone that is quite affordable. You'd be surprised what you can do with this microphone which is quite versatile. Hey, can I use "quite" again? LOL Seriously though---it's one of those hidden gem's out there.
+1.

It's been often said and bears repeating that you need a good preamp to bring the SM7b to life as the gain is VERY low.

One combination that worked extremely well for me was adding a dbx 160XT to the chain. I read somewhere that Mutt Lange favoured this comp on backing vocals and it worked great for me with the SM7b. The dbx 160XT (or 160X) is pretty affordable on the used market and a total sleeper. Dare I say that I use mine more than my pair of 160VUs? I was pretty stunned by the amount of 'growl' the 160XT added and for a voice like my own that is rather on the reedy side it seems to work great.

To my ears, the SM7b just has the right combination of smoothness and cut. Open but tight sounding, it responds VERY well to the talent behind it: Johnny Cash-types sound deep and full, female songbirds sound pristine on it.

I never touch the EQ presets on the SM7b and always leave the 'screen' on.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 ➡️
That disqualifies as much as unreserved team love. The SM7b is indeed a decent mic that shines on many sources, but not on every source.
Correct. It's not good on vocals.

Quote:
So I imply that "team hate" just didn't find the right setup with the right source
Possibly but it is the only microphone I've purchased twice and sent back. I've used many others (every famous one you can name) and while many of them were not "the one" on every occasion, I could see using them on anyone. For example, sometimes the U47 beats out the M149 or vice versa but both still sound pretty good most of the time. The SM7b (for me) wasn't even close.

Quote:
There are voices that excell on that mic and others that just don't work well with it (at least not without excessive EQing).
For me, that mic needs excessive EQ which is why I'm not a fan of it. It needs it and doesn't take it well.

Quote:
Well as there are as many "57 haters" out there as there are "SM7B haters" of what use is this recommendation? SM7B and 57 are totally different mics with totally different charachteristics - so imho a "use this instead" statement, without even knowing what source the OP exactly want's to record, is absurd.
Suggesting a 57 "instead" is absurd but telling the OP that an SM7b is a good choice isn't?

Have you heard the voices that he/she will be recording?

Can we no longer recommend microphones on this forum without first hearing the source?

For me, the 57 is 1/3 the price and will sound better almost every time.

But I'm just basing this on the hundreds of singers that I've had experiences with. YMMV
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT ➡️
Before you get all googly eared on the sm7, might want to check out some other mics as well.

Just sayin'

In fact, been saying for years. Have seen many people get these, use for a year, and figure it out...ie get something else.
Lots of assumptions here I'd say.

Personally, I own quite a lot of mics but for vocals especially I keep coming back to the SM7b often. And I bought quite a few mics that I sold again sometimes after mere weeks but my appreciation of the SM7b actually increased over the years.

The SM 57 is one of the greatest inventions ever IMO and it works so great on guitar amps, snares, etc, etc but personally I never had success with it on vocals no matter what kind of singer I tried it on.

YMMV and that's great. Just don't diss people because they hear and taste things differently than you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You shouldn't trust either of our opinions. You should try the mic yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Just because it works for Bruce, doesn't mean it will work for you.

Just because it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Just make sure you buy with a good return policy.
Cool man. But hey, stop big timing the low end board. When I can afford a U47 or 67, I'll throw away my sm7b just for you. Till then that's the only mic I can afford that Bruce loves on vocals.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
For me, that mic needs excessive EQ which is why I'm not a fan of it. It needs it and doesn't take it well.
Maybe you DO need to treat your room (Kidding and hiding......... )

My experience is the polar opposite. With the SM7b I tend to use little EQ but it does that it well when needed.

Even though any good preamp will do, my faves for the SM7b are the Chandler LTD-1 and the UA 2108. Being able to drive the preamp a little (for euphonic response rather than actual distortion) has a lot to do with my LOVE for the SM7b. You just can't do that with Mackie-type preamps.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker ➡️
Just don't diss people because they hear and taste things differently than you.
Who was dissing "people"?

Thanks to Mitt Romney I know that corporations are people but was unaware that microphones were as well.

YMMV has been used many times in this thread.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Cool man. But hey, stop big timing the low end board. When I can afford a U47 or 67, I'll throw away my sm7b just for you. Till then that's the only mic I can afford that Bruce loves on vocals.
So it's OK to mention that Michael Jackson and Bruce Sweden use it but it's not OK to mention a 47? Gotcha.

I'm sorry. I don't have that many sub $500 microphone stories.

I did say that I preferred the 57 to the SM7b. YMMV
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Suggesting a 57 "instead" is absurd but telling the OP that an SM7b is a good choice isn't?

Have you heard the voices that he/she will be recording?
Well as he/she already made his/her choice and was asking about how his/her (man, this gender neutral talk is annoying ) preamp setup performing together with the SM7b this thread is afaik not about what alternatives are out there...

Quote:
Can we no longer recommend microphones on this forum without first hearing the source?
You can do what you want in this forum, as long as it's not abusive, but I always found it difficult to recommend a mic without knowing what it will be used for...

Quote:
For me, the 57 is 1/3 the price and will sound better almost every time.

But I'm just basing this on the hundreds of singers that I've had experiences with. YMMV
OK, agreed, your later comments in this thread clarified what you meant, while your first post was a bit provocative without offering much explanation, so maybe that's why I felt the need to comment it
📝 Reply