Quantcast
Etymotic IEMs for accurate monitoring on the cheap - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Etymotic IEMs for accurate monitoring on the cheap
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Etymotic IEMs for accurate monitoring on the cheap

You might know that Etymotic are kind enough to to provide frequency response graphs for all their IEMs. As an ER4P owner (and previously HF5) I've played with the idea of reverse EQ-ing the published graphs to further improve accuracy. After some trails I've found a method to do that to my satisfaction, and I've been quite pleased with the results. If anyone's interested I can provide some details and impulses. The regular caveat stands, it won't replace a proper monitor speaker setup. It should also be said the target curve makes statistical assumptions on the shape of your ear, there's no ideal curve that works for everyone. Lastly this does nothing about the lack of crossfeed which IMO needs to be added prior in the processing chain. This ties in with Low-end Theory as such: Etymotic HF-series models can be had for $100 and you'll have a balanced-armature(ribbon-like smoothness) IEM that possibly trumps more costly IEMs in terms of accuracy if you are able to add processing to the signal chain. Let's see if it holds true in practice!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…