Quantcast
Surprised at the Performance? of this amp - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Surprised at the Performance? of this amp
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Surprised at the Performance? of this amp

Hey guys, I just wanted to get some opinions on this slight paradox I found in my system.
Since I started mixing I've been using a pair of marantz HD 550's, (Not monitors but They where given to me. I'd get studio monitors if I could pay for ones that top these. ) Anyway I have been using a pioneer HIFI amp from the 80ish with them because the guy gave that to me at the same time. I recently got given a Sherwood 5.1 receiver and I thought id try it out. And the first thing I noticed is how scarily wider the sound is, sort of like if I used a stereo widener on my old amp.

Any ideas on why this might be? I've turned off all processing on the receiver of course.

Interested to hear what people think.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi
There is nothing to say that either of your amplifiers are actually working properly and without undue crosstalk.
Without having them properly tested all bets are off.
Crosstalk between the channels should be at least -50dB or lower at all frequencies in my opinion although the actual specific number will be highly debatable. A pickup on a gramophone record struggles to make -25dB crosstalk at even 1KHz (worse at other frequencies) yet can still appear to perform well.
Although you claim to have turned processing off on your Sherwood, it is not impossible that some is actually involved, they just don't tell you it's on and a bit of 'something' will sell it to the punters over other brands.
Matt S
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
You are right of course, Without breaking out my oscilloscope there isn't a real way to know.

The "unseen processing" was my first concern but if there was any artificial widening going on I would have noticed it on the distorted guitar tracks I ran though it when I noticed this, I know this isn't conclusive but having listened to a lot of my mixes (on top of the guitar stuff) I haven't noticed anything that isn't as I set it with the old amp but I have more of a sensation of wearing headphones or something :P
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…