Quantcast
Buying a Yamaha GO46? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying a Yamaha GO46?
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Buying a Yamaha GO46?

I currently have an Echo Audiofire 2 interface, and I basically just want to try simple recording tasks and I thought an interface with preamps would be a good idea. I'm completely happy with my Echo otherwise. The Yamaha GO46 was once a higher priced item, but it's been discontinued and can be bought for about as much as I could sell my Echo I figure. In the opinion of this forum, would it be a good idea to buy the Yamaha GO46?
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Well I scored one of these for dirt cheap so I guess I'll be finding out shortly whether or not it's completely bunk or a good value.
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Well, for the price that I paid for this interface, the quality is staggering. I can hardly believe it. There must be some catch. I've read some unfavorable reviews that have mentioned that these units either fail entirely or start cutting out eventually. But while it's working, it's an exceptional interface. I'm on Mac 10.7.5 and I have no issues to speak of. That may or may not change in the near future, but right now this is superior to my Echo AudioFire 4.
Old 6th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It's become completely unresponsive, and what a shame it is because in terms of build quality and recording/playback this is an awesome machine. I have this awesome interface in my possession, and I can't use it whatsoever. I'd like to believe that there is some way to get this device up and running, but I'm doubtful at this point. Is there anyone actually using the GO46 right now on Mac?
Old 6th October 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I picked one of those up for like $60 on ebay awhile ago. Seems they have gone up a little in price now. The unit works for me on mac snow leopard 32-bit using Reaper and garageband, but there is no compatible software panel for 10.6 and above, so basically you are using whatever settings are saved in the unit(muting, routing, etc). It's basically a re-badged Terratec phase x24 FW, so it would be cool to possibly reflash the firmware to make it show up as a terratec as they have more updated drivers. Not sure how to do that though..

I'm assuming you already power cycled the go46 and restarted the computer, but try that if you didn't. If you have access to a windows vista 32 or XP system, try and install the drivers, hook up the unit and open the control panel. That might unfreeze the unit for use on the mac again.

Great sounding units though, hope you get it going.
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I picked one up for $56. Ok so right now, for example, I have it running and it is working almost flawlessly, however I'm having issues routing digital audio into the GO46 and additionally my MPB does not recognize the device unless it is running off of firewire power. I cannot run it from the DC adapter it seems. This is disappointing because again it's an improvement from my Echo AF4, but it's just too patchy whereas my Echo works reliably. I have never had a single issue with my Echo. Clearly it's a firmware issue, and I keep wondering if there isn't a workaround...
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Dude, great deal for $56 and totally useful as a standalone stereo mic pre(really solid SPL designed preamps) or as a headphone amp. I messed around with mine on mac and crazily enough the terretec phase control panel works with it. Here's the link: Index of /Producer/PHASE/PHASEX24FireWire/Update/Beta

Check it out, you should be good to go.

Also, the 12v adapter won't work with the unit if you are plugged into a 6 pin firewire port that already supplies power. It's just meant for using with a 4-pin firewire or when using the go46 in standalone mode.
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Oh another thing, if you do want to run it off the 12v when hooked up to your Mac, you can get a 6 pin to 4-pin adapter to plug into the mac slot, and then get a 6 pin to 4-pin cable. That should break the power connection and let you not use the mac's power.
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hmm I tried the Terretec Phase firmware but I still get the same "cannot find server" error. I'm using 10.7.5.
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Maybe try running in 32-bit mode by holding down the "2" and "3" keys upon start-up from a complete power down.
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Mountain Lion supports 64-bit mode only. Even if it did, I'm not encouraged that this will work. This is officially for sale again. I mean it works, just not on my system apparently. Are you interested?
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Oh, I though you said you were running 10.7.5 which is Lion. Lion supports running 32-bit kernel, but you are right 10.8 mountain lion does not.

Sorry, I already have 2 of them, so I'm not in the market. You should easily be able to get what you payed for them on ebay or clist though. Good luck.
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm quite disappointed, but I can't say I didn't try. I actually was running 10.7 when I started this thread, but I have since updated to 10.8. I appreciate all of the suggestions though.
Old 15th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey,

I know this is a bit off topic, but there's just not much specific instruction out there for using the GO46 with Garageband, esp. r/t the settings (GO46, GB, and Mac sound control panel settings).

I've got a GO46 using 10.5.8 and Garageband... I've never been able to get all the variable settings correct!

I'm getting an input signal on GB (sound levels) and I can record without a problem, however, I can't get an sound through the computer's audio out.

I get audio out from the GO46 headphone jack, but its in left-ear mono and is obviously pre-GB since the GB amps/effects aren't coming through.

I've messed with the settings for hours and no luck! Can you help?

Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply