Headphones for mixing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Headphones for mixing
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Headphones for mixing

Hey

I want to buy new headphones for producing/mixing, i know that i should use good monitors but cant afford them yet, so for now i focus on headphones.

I can pay max 120Β£ , i want them to be "flat" , dont want any bass boosters etc.

Any suggestions?
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I am no expert, but I like my AKG k240s headphones. They seemed to be the most "flat" when I tested them out against similarly priced headphones (such as the sennheiser hd280s).

K 240 Studio
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
I am no expert, but I like my AKG k240s headphones. They seemed to be the most "flat" when I tested them out against similarly priced headphones (such as the sennheiser hd280s).

K 240 Studio
x2 I love my AKG 240. Everything translates really well
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Nowdays you can find really good headphones for mixing and producing.
Check out Beyerdynamic DT770 pro (close type) and Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro(open type) headphones. They are very good headphones. The price starts from 180 USD on line.

P.S I have listen even very famous tracks that were mixed with that headphones.But it depends on you. You should understand the headphones that you use, then you can get good sound.
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
About the AKG 240, these are 55 OHMS right? Won't i need amp for them?

I also consider Audiotechnica ath-m50 , anyone own them?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the Sennheiser HD280's
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 for the 240's. Not running them through a dedicated amp, just the headphones output on my monitor station. Also runs fine from the onboard soundcards headphone output on my comp

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim de beatz ➑️
Check out Beyerdynamic DT770 pro.
+1
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00stiffy ➑️
+1
+2
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
AKG 240s for me
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
akg 702 is the only thing close in price I can reccomend as flat unless you dont mind used

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-H...item337c187057
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedily ➑️
AKG 240s for me
AKG 240s are not bad, I used to work with them. Classic tool. I saw them more using by technicians. But for mixing and producing Beyerdynamic 770 and 990 are better for me: objective opinion.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maivo ➑️
About the AKG 240, these are 55 OHMS right? Won't i need amp for them?

I also consider Audiotechnica ath-m50 , anyone own them?
You dont, but running them through some sort of interface really helps. Also It took mine a while to "break in" or at least for my ears to adjust to them. Really friendly tools now and great for a budget

I the DT770s were the ones I wanted, but I didnt want to drop that much cash at the time.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hello guys! First post here on gearslutz) Thought I'll be a question about our monitors replacement but I have walked into this thread and wonder why nobody mentions Fostex? Their T50RP are the best headphones I've worked with - the mixing result sounds adequate on most other loudspeakers and headphones and even studio monitors. They are not comfortable to the top of the head and sound quiet without amplifying, but they have the most flat response of all headphones, wide spectral boundaries and they are very "speedy", you can hear details which other headphones simply can't translate because of membrane inertia or smth. And they can handle a VERY BIG amount of loudness without distortion and ear distraction. I've bought myself a new second hand pair from the guy who didn't understood their sound, for the half of the price) And I'm very happy. I remember myself several years ago at the headphones store, I tried Fostexes there and music from my player sounded almost like cotton waffle ****, that was a first impression. That day I bought myself Sony MDR-7506))) How stupid I was.. Now I had re-listened to many albums in these Fostexes and they sounded like unknown unreleased master tapes, very interesting details revealed, some overtones and rhythms that was buried in the porridge of other headphones.

Second place goes to the MB Quart QP805HS - they sound very different, like complete midrangy ****, with absolutely no highs) But really they can play very low bass) And highs are simply slightly attenuated. Seriously, it is an interesting competition to do mixing with them, because if something sounds good in MB Quarts it will sound brilliant on other source))

iPod's white in-ears are third in my list.

All other headphones I've used sounded too beautiful, and as a result mixes were very bad)
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
but they have the most flat response of all headphones
unless you want to hear the bass drum bass guitar and all other lower instruments

thinnest bass of any headphone I've ever owned and I own alot of headphones.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
it is linear, going down to 20 hz or around, simply not overhyped, it is really deep, especially with amplifier. of course with that much of ohms you wont get a fatness from a notebook's minijack out
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Everyone seems to hate them, but i got given a set (Pair?) of Beyerdynamic DT48 and i love them, most mixes translate quite well once you really get to know them (admittedly it did take me a months to work them out properly)
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm using AKG K601s which are a bit light on the bass if not driven by a proper headphone amp. Otherwise they are very precise and clear.

It's still going to be hard to mix exclusively on headphones, though.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I went IEM a year ago, I only consider headphones for tracking now(Superlux 7506 knock-offs). That said you should never rely solely on headphones for mixing.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
maybe not the best out there but "I" love the mdr7506... I would never mix with headphones, but they're nice to double check bass-frequencies because they go low. and the louder you can listen mixes with them, the better they translate out there.
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Akg k1000

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I would consider the Shure SRH-840. It has a great balance and detail and I think it translates quite well to monitors when compared, though I've never mixed on headphones... I prefer it to Beyer 770, 990 and ATH-M50.
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
audio technica ath-m40fs are great. I personally use them
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

I also use Sony MDR7506's. They are great overall headphones for most situations and they never get uncomfortable. My only problem is that they are pretty bass heavy and I feel they could be flatter. Im looking for a new pair and it seems a lot of people are using DT770's and AKG240's so I might have to test them both.

Unfortunately iv blown two pairs of Sonys up and had another set nicked!
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Denon ad 2000
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Can't go wrong with Beyer. They have the least "fatigue"
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i've had the Beyers, very comfortable and great for tracking bass/drums, but the Denons are incredible and tighter/more accurate in low end without losing any "beef". I have been re listening to my entire cd collection for pleasure, and they are a great tool in mixing (i go back and forth from my mid field JBL's and the Denon's, the Denon's giving me a little more detail )
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Shure SRH 440's are the best bang for your buck.

I paid $50

They're my first mixing headphones and they do the job.
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
+1 AKG 240 MKII.
I recently also got a pair of Shure SE215 for listening purposes (imo, don't they are really flat... :( ) and the shures can pick out things the AKGs can't e.g. quiet noise.
πŸ“ Reply