Getting Back In The Game - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting Back In The Game
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Getting Back In The Game

Hello Everybody,

So... Here's the deal. I used to be in the business of recording music full time back in the day (2003-2008). I used to run a studio in Nashville full of high end gear and mics, console, etc. I am slowly looking at getting back into the game on a part time basis, and I am looking for some advice on what to buy. I haven't been searching for "low-end" or as I like to call it "budget conscious" gear for quite some time. I need some help.

Here is what I know

I will be using Pro Tools. I'm aware there are other options but I know PT.
I want to be as mobile as possible (travel to bands spaces, live recording etc).

My first question is what interface should I get. When I was doing this full time I was using Pro Tools HD with Lynx Aurora converters. I would like to get the best quality I can for less than $1500. I will buy used if i need to. I would like it to be scaleable, and include preamps. What are my options?

Presonus?
RME?

What else is out there that's good?

Thanks guys,

It's great to be back on the forums.

Last edited by AudioFocus; 16th September 2012 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Added questions.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you're on a Mac, I'd look for a metric Halo 2882. If not, probably RME.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah. Currently using a MacBook pro (mid 2010). I'll be getting an iMac as soon as they refresh them. I'll take a look at the MetricHalo. Thanks.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ok. The Metric Halo looks nice but no smux on the ADAT. I should have been more specific. I would like to be able to get 12 channels in at 88.2 or higher. I realize that I will need some sort of secondary set of preamps with ADAT out, or just line ins with ADAT out. It looks like presonus has stuff like that but I'm worried about quality. I'm not expecting miracles here, but....

Anybody have any experience with the Presonus stuff? How does it sound?
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi matey!

If I were you I'd look at the Apogee Ensemble. Conversion is good, preamps are clean. Should be able to pick up used for $1500 or so. The presonus stuff isn't bad IMO, but apogee conversion is worth it, I think.

Cheers!
Tim
πŸ“ Reply