Quantcast
Dirt Cheap Mics That Sound Great. - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dirt Cheap Mics That Sound Great.
Old 27th December 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Audix f-10. I use em on gtr cabs n toms sometimes.
Old 30th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM ➡️
AKG D200E
AKG Model D 200 E

It's from the 70's and made of plastic and can generally be had for under $50. It sounds fantastic though due to its reasonably wide bandwidth flat frequency response and gentle low end rolloff. I always have great success on acoustic guitars (it might be my favorite for strumming), but recently used it to record an upright piano. It fit in the mix perfectly. I used a little bit of Lo-Cut on my Chop Shop EQ to tidy up the low end and that was it.

Brad
Mine is metal.. early ones were then they went to plastic just like going from.a d12 and 112 on the casing
Old 30th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Me singing into the $60 (or less) AKG D790.
D790>Mbox Mini 2.

First track heavily processed.
Second more raw.
Same vocal.
Chris
Attached Files
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
isK's ICDM dynamic. A mere $60 normally, already a steal, I think can still be had on promo for half price. Heard it. Very nice mic. You won't find better value.
Old 31st January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dare I say the slate ml2? It is a very handy mic on snare and gtr cab where I want more than 1 mic but want to keep the phase coherent is awesome. Especially when you need a quick go to
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
How's the Rode NT1-A? It has super low self noise.
Old 2nd February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➡️
isK's ICDM dynamic. A mere $60 normally, already a steal, I think can still be had on promo for half price. Heard it. Very nice mic. You won't find better value.
Has iSK been mentioned before this thread? The Pearl certainly satisfies "dirt cheap" at $29.99. Does it sound dirt cheap? No, not here anyway. Pearl usually gets a try on my voice for songs. I almost feel silly even trying it when I have so many other "boutique" mics sitting in their cases. But when I close my eyes and play back, sometimes it's like... "Well damnit. There it is. WTF?" I'm also digging it on hat lately, I did a few songs with it on snare, parallel to the head about an inch off the rim edge, a few inches up. Also had nice luck as a snare bottom mic, and I've used a pair for Glyn Johns with good results.

And that ICDM looks great also. Likely comparable to EV ND76 in sound, for half the cost. And at 2 for 49.99 free shipping (WHAAAT!?), it's just stupid inexpensive. If I was outfitting a cover band with stage mics, I'd at least try a pair at that price, and if they functioned as expected, I'd put them all over the stage.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yep! Yet another example of "you get what you pay for" disproved, as is often the case. For those who listen objectively, at least.
Old 3rd February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick ➡️
prodipe tt1. $27
+1000

I can’t recommend it enough. I own 5 units (and I already have around U87, U47, Shure, Manley, and so on).

It’s the best bang for the buck in the dynamic mic world.
Old 3rd February 2019
Deleted 80fad10
Haven´t read the whole thread... but i like the Electro-Voice Co4 for live and rehearsal as an alternative to an sm57. They sound not great but more than OK. The three I have did cost me less than one sm57. So it´s a no brainer.
Old 11th February 2019
Here for the gear

I Haven't found a Marshall mic I don't like, but the MXL990 and the MXL V67i (or G) stand out. Excellent sound, and you'd never believe they're as good as they are for the price.

..Joe
Old 11th February 2019
Sterling ST-31 1/2" condenser. About $50 used. One of the best snare drum mics ever. You will wonder why you used a 57 so long.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

I came across the red5 microphones.
Currently using and happy with the RV4 pencil condenser, the RV6 (no longer available and my fav) and the RV8.

Red5 Audio RV8 & RV10 |
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Are the transformer circuit mods difficult (for a noob) on the V67G and similar mics? I'd love to try an RK-12 on them.
Old 12th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head
I was impressed by the SE X1D for toms/percussion. At $79 new I found it to be a good deal.
Old 12th February 2019
Here for the gear

There's lots of good values these days, but these are my faves, if a bit generic. I like any / most of the Chinese long ribbon mics. Mxl V67 is my favorite budget LDC. Naiant makes a nice omni SDC. I also have a big soft spot for the audix i5.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Anyone know the difference between the MXL 2006 and V67 ?
Old 14th February 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom ➡️
Anyone know the difference between the MXL 2006 and V67 ?
Quite a bit harsher on the high end. Can't recommend it over the v67, especially at the same price point. I honestly think the mca-sp1 is better sounding.
Gear Guru

Another nice/cheap condenser, is the AKG P120.
They're sold used on the Guitar Center website,
commonly for around $50 total price.

The biggest minus the P120's have, is their relatively wide cardiod pattern pickup. Very flat frequency response, until a "bump" around 10 KHz.
(which adds some "air") Fine for YouTube and demos.
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best mic's new under $200
SM57
CM3
BIV ribbon
CAD179
e906

I have never use MXL mic's but one of them gets praises here once in a while.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Learner ➡️
I was impressed by the SE X1D for toms/percussion. At $79 new I found it to be a good deal.
my new fav on toms!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
I have never use MXL mic's but one of them gets praises here once in a while.
I haven't either but actually several of them get high marks on here pretty regularly, e.g. the 67, 770 and 990. The 144 ribbon also I've seen get good bang for the buck marks, which is intriguing to me at a mere $100 for a ribbon.
Lives for gear

AKG d8000m - my bang for the buck when you get stupid deal of the week $19
close to Shure beta 58a little more in the mid highs better side rejection
(only con is handling noise depending on performer but for studio good)
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Audix I5
A\T 3035
MXL 603s
Superlux E523\D
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
beyer m201
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hope you guys are happy! this thread just cost me $60 for two Behringer C2 microphones. I've been very happy with my MCA SP1's. I have 4 of them and have one on loan to a client to use for his vocals. I loaned it because his MXL sounded terrible! The MCA sounds really good; much like a 414.

As far as the Behringer is concerned, 2 mics with a cary case, stereo bar, windscreens, and stand adapters for $59.99/free shipping feels a lot like stealing...

Steve
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➡️
I haven't either but actually several of them get high marks on here pretty regularly, e.g. the 67, 770 and 990. The 144 ribbon also I've seen get good bang for the buck marks, which is intriguing to me at a mere $100 for a ribbon.

cant stand my pair^ ..I never use them anymore

the other ribbons that I have are
- Stellar RM-7
- Sterling ST-170

and they sound great ..FWIW
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing ➡️
Hope you guys are happy! this thread just cost me $60 for two Behringer C2 microphones. I've been very happy with my MCA SP1's. I have 4 of them and have one on loan to a client to use for his vocals. I loaned it because his MXL sounded terrible! The MCA sounds really good; much like a 414.

As far as the Behringer is concerned, 2 mics with a cary case, stereo bar, windscreens, and stand adapters for $59.99/free shipping feels a lot like stealing...

Steve
I picked up a Behringer XM8500 $15 used on craiglist. MSRP $25. (50 Hz-15 kHz, -70 dB, 150 Ohms) Nice mike similar to sm58? yea it feels a lot like stealing.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Has every mic brand and model been mentioned yet? This is just a "we have gone full circle" check.

Resume.
Old 16th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound ➡️
Has every mic brand and model been mentioned yet? This is just a "we have gone full circle" check.

Resume.
Hardly, but thanks for sharing.
📝 Reply