Quantcast
Dirt Cheap Mics That Sound Great. - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dirt Cheap Mics That Sound Great.
Old 3rd March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
blue balls

Aside from the usual suspects, I had a Blue Ball (the blue one) that was pretty damn decent on guitar cab, especially combined with a condenser. Liked it much more than a 57 (which i've never been overly fond of) for that application. Used it for rap vocals on a project once and it worked better than i expected, even just through a duet 1. The Ball really seems to step it up with nicer pre's too. When I put it through an older TLA tube pre i used to have, man that thing would start to come to life. Sold it for $55 couple years ago and now kinda miss it.

I was introduced to a fellow local engineer last fall and when i walked into his studio to check out his setup for an EP his band was recording what did i see but his personal guitar amp mic'd up with nothing but a pair of Blue Balls. He was running acoustic guitar into his solid-state peavy bandit and man did the rhythm guitar sit nicely in the mix.
Old 5th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Smile

I'll share mine too,

AKG D190es on toms, acoustic guitar, overhead, or anything that requires more high end sensitivity than a Dynamic but less than a condenser. (espetially as a stereo pair)

Apex 415 on reso head of a kick, cardiod, 10db pad. nice natural low end decay.

Studio projects C1 (first edition) on acoustic, high pass to your taste, call it a day.

MXL R144 on overheads (nice for a small room if you have a cloud over the drum set), almost never fails on guitar cabs.

all these can be had either new or used for the 150$ budget.
Cheers!
Mike.
Old 7th March 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Apex 215 is a great sounding inexpensive ribbon mic. Use it all the time in pair with a 57 on guitar cabs and sounds cool on some voices and other sources as well. Michael Joly has a sweet mod for it, although I've never used a modded one.
Old 5th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
RFT DM622

Ok, not new or in the shops, but cheap as pants and yields cool tones on acoustic, hand percussion, drums....can even sound good on vocals in the right context.....a little thin, omni and with a great sort of sheen in the top for a dynamic, but and old sheen, not a new, plasticky one.
Wait, I like old sheen! Just grabbed one on ebay.

I never spend $100 on pants! ..but you got me curious.
That, & Im a sucker for mics with those cool looking old screw on Tuchel thingys.
heh
Old 6th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d ➑️

That, & Im a sucker for mics with those cool looking old screw on Tuchel thingys.
heh
Cool, let's hear your impressions when you get it.
Old 6th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Superlux s502. It's sort of a copy of a schoeps ORTF, sounds great especially for the ridiculously low price.
Old 9th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

heh
Wow, the price for those mics went up fast, guess it's not such a "secret weapon" anymore - bought my first one back in '12 for about 8€, the second one was 33€ already and the third one almost 50€ - nowadays it doesn't go under a hundret dollars?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 ➑️
Wow, the price for those mics went up fast, guess it's not such a "secret weapon" anymore - bought my first one back in '12 for about 8€, the second one was 33€ already and the third one almost 50€ - nowadays it doesn't go under a hundret dollars?
I think it's more random, some still dirt cheap, some less so......I payed about 50 quid each for my two a few years ago. After selling two previously and regretting it/missing them. These are not leaving.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AKG D200E
AKG Model D 200 E

It's from the 70's and made of plastic and can generally be had for under $50. It sounds fantastic though due to its reasonably wide bandwidth flat frequency response and gentle low end rolloff. I always have great success on acoustic guitars (it might be my favorite for strumming), but recently used it to record an upright piano. It fit in the mix perfectly. I used a little bit of Lo-Cut on my Chop Shop EQ to tidy up the low end and that was it.

Brad
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️
AKG Model D 200 E

It's from the 70's and made of plastic and can generally be had for under $50. It sounds fantastic though due to its reasonably wide bandwidth flat frequency response and gentle low end rolloff. I always have great success on acoustic guitars (it might be my favorite for strumming), but recently used it to record an upright piano. It fit in the mix perfectly. I used a little bit of Lo-Cut on my Chop Shop EQ to tidy up the low end and that was it.

Brad
...Also works pretty good as a hi-hat mic.
Old 10th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Mentioned once already but worth a second mention: MXL V67g One of the few earliest available LDCs that employed negative feedback to tame the harsh high end of most Chinese made mics. Pretty flat freq response but not dull or muddy by any means. It's kind of a cheapo classic.
Old 11th May 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I really like the Sterling Audio ST51 ($99). Use it for quick demos on vocals.

Here's one I did recently https://soundcloud.com/dimensionsound/slow-down

ST51 on vox into an ART MPA II with upgraded tubes.

cheers
Old 27th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Cool, let's hear your impressions when you get it.
this RFT sounds surprisingly good. some weight & nice top end.
ie; nice old sheen indeed!
Old 27th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
this RFT sounds surprisingly good. some weight & nice top end.
ie; nice old sheen indeed!
Old 28th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Not bad for an AT-3035 straight up into stock M-Audio Project Mix I/O preamps.
Just 2.1 compression and a hint of plate reverb in post production.
Tracked dry as a bone.

https://soundcloud.com/ogredaddy/submarine-races-mono

Guitar is just bleed into vocal mic, all mono.

Think this mic was about $160.00 on sale.

Posted to youtube as well.

Old 29th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️
AKG D200E
AKG Model D 200 E

Brad
Mike Tarsia from Sigma in Philly turned me on to D200E! $30 on ebay! Sounds great in the kik too!
Old 3rd June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Seems like I'll have to buy an EV 635a...
Old 3rd June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunguia ➑️
Seems like I'll have to buy an EV 635a...
Get 2.
Old 3rd June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie folk guy ➑️
AT Pro25ax $130 (an economy version of the famed ATM25 great for toms, bass cabs, guitar cabs, bass drums, vocals)
Resuming an old thread.
I've found it at a super price, 115€, I'll use for sax,kick,tbones, how you find it? have you some clips to listen?

Thanks
Old 4th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
ATM63 - Sleeper

I've read the entire thread, don't think this one has been mentioned.

Audio Technica ATM63 (Discontinued) Made in Japan, built like a tank (all metal).....great alternative to a SM57 on snare, I like it even better than the Audix i5. Generally you can find them for under $50-60, although lately I've seen the price climbing a bit (I should probably stop talking about them) Some people are asking close to $200 them on 'the bay'...probably not getting it though.
Old 27th November 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Anyone tried this

Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone - Monoprice.com
Old 27th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Recording Tools mc700

Sample: 11.voices 88MS
Old 24th December 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for the AKG D200e...awesome for acoustic guitar, mandolin, cavaquinho, ukulele etc
They come up on ebay for peanuts. RFT DM622 can be had fairly cheap too.
Old 25th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
1 more for the ev635a. check out "white lie" here: Christy Hays . the whole song was cut with one 635, and if I'm remembering correctly I didn't really eq much either.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterrok ➑️
1 more for the ev635a. check out "white lie" here: Christy Hays . the whole song was cut with one 635, and if I'm remembering correctly I didn't really eq much either.
Sounds great! Those mics are just so 'right'. Anything you record with them feels 'right'. I LOVE my two......
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
RV6 large Condenser by Red5 Audio.

SoundonSound did a review of the slightly more expensive RV8 & RV10.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun0...s/red5mics.asp
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Get yourself a few of those old Radio Shack "Ball-Top Cardioids".

(They can be had at yard sales for a couple o' bucks apiece.)

They were cheaply-produced knockoffs of the Shure SM58, with cheap pot-metal bodies (and a crappy "ball-top"), then loaded with "reject" capsules culled from the manufacture of real '57's.

They all sounded different, so collect a few different-sounding ones, and mark them like they were EQ settings.

Unscrew the (crappy) "ball-tops", and use them to mic guitar cabs, etc.
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Are you talking about those RadioShack Realistic mics? They do sound alright!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've always liked cheap mics. I pretty much use 2 Naiant mics (one for vox one for recording instruments) and an MXL 992 when I need something that's "fancy". I used to use an SM58 for everything and will buy another one when the other mics crap out.
Old 26th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Wow, this thread is still going!

I'll have to add a few more to the list. Also FWIW, I have since used that f14 on almost every session I have had and am happy to report that it gets picked over many others in the studio.

P.s. It does sound great on a Neve and an API but doesn't need either one to get the job done.
πŸ“ Reply