Apogee One Internal Mic vs. Shure SM57 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee One Internal Mic vs. Shure SM57
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Apogee One Internal Mic vs. Shure SM57

Hello
I was wondering if it would be worth the money to upgrade the internal mic on the Apogee ONE with a Shure SM57 or SM58. The ONE mic sounds good, but I do not know if a standalone mic will be a good upgrade. Looking to record gainy rock sounds. Any advice?
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
it is difficult to say because "good upgrade" would be subjective.

Which mic in particular being the best upgrade would be a little more intense in most scenarios than simply a 57/58 especially without knowing what the source is are we talking about a singer, instruments, an entire band?

While those two mics CAN work for those things they will far be it the best choice available and depending on exactly how much you are willing to spend and what exactly you are doing we can probably suggest a better option.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I would be looking to record mostly electric guitar and some acoustic guitar and maybe a little electric bass. Budget < 150 for the mic. But, I don't know much about mics and do not know if the built-in on the apogee does the job as well as a mic in this range. I had assumed the shure was the best.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
for what you want to do you may want to consider the CAD M179 this will have a better low end extension and better detail in the mids and highs than the shure 57

If you go with a Shure do the 57 if vocals aren't a concern it's more tailored as an instrument mic
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the responses. What I am mainly interested in now is how much of an improvement a standalone mic will be for recording elec guitar and bass over the internal mic of the ONE. Thanks.
πŸ“ Reply