Quantcast
SM7b and Gap Gre-73, Which FMR Comp? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM7b and Gap Gre-73, Which FMR Comp?
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I think a general tendency is to put a big fat mic on a big and low vocal. The SM7b might be too scooped in the upper mids for your vocal range and timbre which would be the lack of definition you're hearing. I'd try a condenser - preferably a 414 - it's got a bump right where a lot of baritones need it.
I've gotten stunning results with an SM7b with Todd Lewis of the Toadies and Burden Brothers but he is definitely a rockin' tenor not a baritone.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
speaking of the 414 on baritones, Brad Roberts of Crash Test Dummies has been tracked a fair number of times through a 414b-uls, especially for most of the last album. Producer/engineer/mixer said it just had a way of naturally capturing the low end.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dafo ➑️
speaking of the 414 on baritones, Brad Roberts of Crash Test Dummies has been tracked a fair number of times through a 414b-uls, especially for most of the last album. Producer/engineer/mixer said it just had a way of naturally capturing the low end.
Ah yes - Jerry Harrison. I was referring to the upper mid boost on the 414 but they do have a decent low end as well. I used to use a 414 on all my vocal tracks (because they were the only condensers I had back in the late 80's early 90's) but I noticed that on one female artist who had a very piercing high alto low soprano voice the 414 sounded awful. It accented that range. But it sounds great on baritones!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal ➑️
I have both the RNC and the RNLA and I had 2 PBC-6s
Now, personally I sold the PBCs because I have a decent
collection of hw compressors and those, while built very well
and with a very interesting sound to them, they were never
my first choice for anything.
The PBCs are very unique in the way they compress,
also the attack and rel behave slightly different from what
you'd expect. None of that is a "problem", just something
you need to be aware of if this is gonna be your only compressor.
They always compress the signal, they cannot be transparent,
but they are great for tracking vocals for example (if the color
matches).
The RNC and the RNLA are more versatile in my opinion
and faster to set.
The PBC have some nice "in depth" setting, sidechain filters,
dual mono possibility (if you have 2), and various linking options
but again, I wouldn't advice it as your first or only comp.
I am starting to lean more toward getting both the RNC and RNLA.
I hear the RNLA is great for Bass and some vocals and the RNC for clean transparent tracks and as a way to tame the peaks. Thanks for you input.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets ➑️
Maybe I'm missing something but the OP says he wants more clarity which leads to the pre IMHO. Someone mentioned earlier they use the 73 with an sm7 and it's a great combo, but the 73 has been modded. Seems to me, therein lies the key. It all kinda starts there really.
I plan on doing the full mod. look below for the result I had today with the SM7b
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hold on, low and behold I tried something different today. I took off the foam cover off the SM7b and it was just the bare mic even w/o a pop filter. My oh my what a difference, It was so much clearer but retained what makes this mic great as far as it sitting in the mix.
I am still going to do a shoot out with my friends Octava modded MXL, I think it is this one MXL v87 Mod but not sure. It is supposed to sound somewhat like a U87 . He has the same Stock Gap Pre-73 I have and a somewhat treated room. Since my tracks are one take files, they will line up right in his DAW. Two clips one just Piano and softer Vocals, and another a more involved Rock mix. I'll do this comparison 1'st with no plugs
and another with some slight sweetening and some Reverb for the both of the tunes.
And yes I will Get the Full mod for the Pre-73. I am scheduled for Monday at his Project Studio recording the vocal takes with his Mics, then bring the files home. I'll keep you posted and may provide some SC Clips. Again thanks everyone
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
not to further complicate things, but if you are going to spend hundreds of dollars modding the Gap, consider you can get a Daking Mic Pre One used for 600 or less.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dafo ➑️
not to further complicate things, but if you are going to spend hundreds of dollars modding the Gap, consider you can get a Daking Mic Pre One used for 600 or less.....
Yes I have heard great things about the Daking, however I already own the Pre-73, like it and the Full Mod is only $250.00
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska ➑️
Hey thanks for taking the time for the reply and url's
Impressions. I think the SM7b kills the Audio Technica 4047. WHY:
It sits in the mix better, a more pleasing tonality, and surprisingly while smooth it doesn't lack the detail I was expecting.
I know many love Audio Technica LCD's but I have owned both the 4033 and the 4050. I ended up selling them and bought a SE tube mic(that one is discontinued I forget the model). A Bro of mine sold his 4050 after trying my Se and bought one himself.
Back to the songs. Really cool stuff going on, like the arrangement and the songs are happening. and she is a great Singer. I do want to note that IMHO the Vocals are back in the mix a tad more than I would like. The synths are a little too prominent. Also perhaps a little too wet with Reverb.
I know these comments of mine are subjective and it all comes down to ones personal preferences. You do write and record some pretty good stuff.
Thanks man! It was kind of funny, she had these vocals and I just had her sing them to a click a cappella ~ then I "built" the music around her vocals. Just did it for the X Girlfriend to help her out...and I wrote/recorded each tune in one day.

Kind of makes me miss the pbc6a! I agree w/you about the sm7 too. The 4047 was a bit murky sometimes.
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Your barking up the wrong tree and as usual everyone is throwing doggy biscuits up there

ITS YOU

YOU HAVE TO ENUNCIATE WHEN SINGING.........PERIOD

And this having been said, you know enough to know everyone should have an RNC, and a compressor when tracking vox, you don't need to ask us, or debate which FMR compressor to get........JUST GET IT........medium attack medium release, look for about 3 db of gain reduction, try not to go more than 5db,

Oh, and the extra presence brought to a voice by a compressor will make your track much clearer and "in your face", whoever was saying it won't help is full of it.

The compression should be a given, don't ask just do it everytime from now on.

heh...ok...I'll be a hypocrite and talk gear changes....cuz I feel like it:

One of the most underrated vocal mics is the 421, in modern times you would think the only thing your LEGALLY allowed to use it on is toms and as a second cab mic.....

...but back in the day, this mic was used for everything, some of the 70's KISS, Cheap Trick and also I believe on "Never Mind The Bollocks" used it as the single kick drum mic, it still gets used on snares, and back in the day it was a bass cab mic of choice......BUT, It was first designed as a Vocal mic, A friend of mine scored a hit 15 years ago and that's what she sang into, I tried it myself and think it's every bit as good as the SM7, the difference being...

WAY more top end and presence in the 421, The 421 is BADLY underrated in modern times, but you could literally run a studio off a bunch of 421's nothing would really be the worse for it (maybe rooms and overheads....but I've never tried it)

If you want if you want a dynamic lead vocal mic with a bit more of an open, detailed sound, try the 421.

RE20's cool too but you won't notice as much of a difference
πŸ“ Reply