Quantcast
Problem with bouncing tracks on tascam portastudio 424 mkiii - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Problem with bouncing tracks on tascam portastudio 424 mkiii
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Problem with bouncing tracks on tascam portastudio 424 mkiii

So earlier today I was recording a little song on my Tascam Portastudio 424 mkIII. The song consisted of two tracks of acoustic guitar (one mic'd, one piezo, for cleaner low end), vocals, and percussion. I wanted to bounce the guitar tracks (2 & 3) onto the then empty track 4, which would later become the percussion track. When I did do the bounce, however, the resulting mix of the two tracks contained a high-pitched, ever-present tone. I attempted to eliminate it by unplugging any mics, setting the trim of inactive tracks to zero, etc, but the tone remained in the subsequent bouncings.

Is this a common problem, one that I'll just have to deal with? Or is there some solution that I've overlooked?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehm ➡️
So earlier today I was recording a little song on my Tascam Portastudio 424 mkIII. The song consisted of two tracks of acoustic guitar (one mic'd, one piezo, for cleaner low end), vocals, and percussion. I wanted to bounce the guitar tracks (2 & 3) onto the then empty track 4, which would later become the percussion track. When I did do the bounce, however, the resulting mix of the two tracks contained a high-pitched, ever-present tone. I attempted to eliminate it by unplugging any mics, setting the trim of inactive tracks to zero, etc, but the tone remained in the subsequent bouncings.

Is this a common problem, one that I'll just have to deal with? Or is there some solution that I've overlooked?
If I remember correctly ( it's bben awhile since I used one)..Seems my friend was using one and was experiencing the same issues..I think the motor is closest to track 4 and was picking up whinning noise ( I'm sure it was a problem with his machine and needed reapir), so he bounced back the other way..Tracks 4,3,2 over to track 1..Good luck..
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman ➡️
If I remember correctly ( it's bben awhile since I used one)..Seems my friend was using one and was experiencing the same issues..I think the motor is closest to track 4 and was picking up whinning noise ( I'm sure it was a problem with his machine and needed reapir), so he bounced back the other way..Tracks 4,3,2 over to track 1..Good luck..
Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. I hope it works, as bouncing tracks is a feature I could definitely find useful. Other than the whining noise, the quality of a single bounce is actually not bad, which is nice.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. I hope it works, as bouncing tracks is a feature I could definitely find useful. Other than the whining noise, the quality of a single bounce is actually not bad, which is nice.
Here's a "trick" I used when I had my Tascam 234 casstte recorder. If your model has direct outs,get a small mixer and run out of your direct outs into the mixer, then send the mono out of the mixer into a track (any track, now you don't have to bounce)on your recorder..You have the option of EQ'ing/fx'ing each track before summing..!..Used to work very good for me..Good luck.
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman ➡️
Here's a "trick" I used when I had my Tascam 234 casstte recorder. If your model has direct outs,get a small mixer and run out of your direct outs into the mixer, then send the mono out of the mixer into a track (any track, now you don't have to bounce)on your recorder..You have the option of EQ'ing/fx'ing each track before summing..!..Used to work very good for me..Good luck.
Awesome! That sounds very practical, and does offer more flexibility. That's probably what I'll do.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Awesome! That sounds very practical, and does offer more flexibility. That's probably what I'll do.
Good luck..Thing is, the way that analog gear has come down in price, you probably can grab a great let's say, an" 8 channel console with killer signal path/EQ/mixbuss for a little price..Wish I had this chance when I was recording to cassette....Recording this way sorta makes you commit to a mix.., but at least you can do it over and over to you get the mix as you like it before you print it to another track on the Tascam.
📝 Reply