Upgrading from Rode K2 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading from Rode K2
Old 29th June 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears ➡️
I really like my Mojave MA-200. They also make fantastic drum OH mics in mono or pair.
I have been playing with tube Hi-Fi equipment since the age of 8 when I helped my father built our tube amplifier. I really don't like Jensen amplifiers - they have no "meat" (too thin, too clear, just like tap water) in the output! For the same token, I won't consider Rode Classic II either.

With the vintage Telefunken e88cc, you get extreme fine details with elegant and airiness sound that seems to come from nowhere (all directions). All High-End Hi-Fi guys are in love with Telefunken tubes. It's just a matter of cost, of course!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➡️
...so I'm assuming that there's a typo in your description, and the E88CC was actually $48, not $480...I didn't think you were actually recommending someone invest over $600 in upgrades to improve the sound of a mic that can be had for $400 pre-owned...

https://tubedepot.com/products/telef...ond-e88cc-6922

NEW 1 set Black Crystal Steel D39mm Sound Isolation Feet Speaker Spikes, Audio Cones, HiFi Mounts Amplifier feet-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Kingwood (Violetwood) | Artisan Dice
No! "Vintage" Telefunken diamond bottom US$480. The US$48 is a E88CC-TK Telefunken Black Diamond made in Solvakia in 2015.

If you prefer more accurate sound with minimum colouration, I would suggest replacing the tube with a vintage Siemens JAN 6922. I bought a second Rode K2 just for that!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRodeK2 ➡️
With the vintage Telefunken e88cc, you get extreme fine details with elegant and airiness sound that seems to come from nowhere (all directions). All High-End Hi-Fi guys are in love with Telefunken tubes. It's just a matter of cost, of course!
...the only problem is, the Telefunken E88CC tubes you referenced from Tube Depot are newly manufactured re-issue tubes, not NOS...the jury is still out on whether they perform like original issued NOS Tele tubes, which do sell in the $150-300 range...

...and BTW, the marketplace is rampant with fakes:
E88CC Telefunken NOS, or used tubes

...yes, I employed an NOS Siemens 6922 Gold-Pin tube in my K2 and it made a very noticeable improvement...I also found much less expensive "made in Germany" RCA Gold-Pin 6DJ8 tubes that were re-labelled Siemens 6922, as well as "made in Holland" variants that were manufactured by Amperex...these were all quite good options for the K2...

Last edited by kidvybes; 29th June 2015 at 07:27 PM..
📝 Reply