Quantcast
Behringer DI's - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer DI's
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Behringer DI's

Hey everyone, I'm looking into buying a DI box for recording purposes but am unsure of which route to take. I hear great things about the Radial and countryman DI's but I don't have 200+ bucks to spend on one. So my question is has anyone used a behringer di before? And would you recommend one? I'm looking in to the Behringer Ultra DI DI100 Behringer Ultra-DI DI100 Box at zZounds
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't get that I've used Behringer DIs. Try a Whirlwind DI
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a Behringer active di and and Art passive one. The Art sounds nicer and is still very cheap.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjew24 ➑️
Try a Whirlwind DI
Whirlwinds are great little DIs. Radial has one at a $99.99 price point. Behringers work, but I would choose the Whirlwind DI over the Behringer one for virtually any scenario.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I would choose palmer over radial
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Recording what?

Many interfaces have a high-z, high-gain input for instruments built in...

-tINY

Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Don't do it. Of all the pieces Behringer make, their DI's are among the worst, IME and IMHO.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Whirlwind Imp 2 can be had for just 30 dollars. Get that.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

Recording what?

Many interfaces have a high-z, high-gain input for instruments built in...

-tINY

Mostly for guitar. Unfortunately my interface was bought on a budget as well. I made the mistake of buying the Line 6 Studio UX2. I hate it. I'm hoping a decent sounding DI will make atleast some improvement on my raw tones.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I wish i would have joined the GS community sooner!

Anybody else know of some decent and affordable DI's?
Im for sure going to look in to whirlwind DI's though!
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
check palmer's PAN series. they are excellent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaga129 ➑️
Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I wish i would have joined the GS community sooner!

Anybody else know of some decent and affordable DI's?
Im for sure going to look in to whirlwind DI's though!
If you can get the WhirlWind " HotBox" DI for cheap, it'll be worth it..!..Good luck..
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Behringer's DIs sound very veiled and dark. Everything ran through them is 2d and muddy. I had a pair then built a couple of countryman clones. Night and day difference.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaga129 ➑️
Mostly for guitar. Unfortunately my interface was bought on a budget as well. I made the mistake of buying the Line 6 Studio UX2. I hate it. I'm hoping a decent sounding DI will make atleast some improvement on my raw tones.

That's not too likely... proper guitar inputs is something Line 6 has a lot of experience with. Adding a cheap DI to plug your guitar into instead isn't likely to improve anything.

Do you have an unusual guitar or pick-ups with issues?

-tINY

Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Behringer's singleton DIs are the worst pieces of gear that Behringer make IMO. Noisy (VERY noisy), badly constructed and pass a brittle-sounding shadow of what went in. They are better avoided at any cost.
Old 13th September 2012

🎧 10 years
For the OPs problem I agree with tINY. If you are plugging your guitar direct into the Line 6 a DI is unlikely to improve things.

Behringer do a number of DI units. Are the people who don’t mention a particular model referring specifically to the DI100?

I have some of the DI100s and not experienced the problems that others have mentioned. Mine are about ten years old and still look like new. I also own some BSS Audio AR 133 DIs too, with which to compare them. In general use, they are to all intents and purposes interchangeable. No one yet has even mentioned they can notice a difference let alone that one is so much better than the other.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

That's not too likely... proper guitar inputs is something Line 6 has a lot of experience with. Adding a cheap DI to plug your guitar into instead isn't likely to improve anything.

Do you have an unusual guitar or pick-ups with issues?

-tINY

When i record at my house i get a lot of hum. Im pretty sure it is from wiring in my house. I dont know much about di's but getting rid of ground noise is their main use right?

Also I just read all over the place where people are talking about how the countryman di's have such a clear sound.
I tried mixing the stems from a song with which the guitar tracks where recorded with a countryman type 85 and i couldnt believe the difference between the raw guitar and my own.

Sorry if im coming off as a noob to everyone haha. I know very little on this subject.
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hum can come from dozens of sources and grounding wiring is just one of them. What type of computer are you using (laptop vs desktop)? What's your signal chain (is it a guitar going straight into the Line 6 only, or are you going through an amp first?)? Anything else you can tell us about your setup?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Chesi ➑️
Hum can come from dozens of sources and grounding wiring is just one of them. What type of computer are you using (laptop vs desktop)? What's your signal chain (is it a guitar going straight into the Line 6 only, or are you going through an amp first?)? Anything else you can tell us about your setup?
I'm running a schecter c1 elite directly into my line 6 studio ux2 which is hooked up to my laptop. When I move around or point the guitar different directions the hum changes volumes but never goes away. When I use the same setup at my drummers house I don't have a single problem with noise
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Your pick-ups are receiving the hum from somewhere in your house...

You can get hum-buckers, or figure out the source of the noise - look for cheap dimmers, apliances with variable-speed motors, and anything else that uses big motors or cheap controls.

-tINY

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzxtreme ➑️
I would choose palmer over radial
As Z says. Palmer makes excellent DI,s
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

I have three Behringer DI20 boxes and they all work well and I have no sound issues....also, for $20 apiece brand new, you can't go wrong.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Radial Pro DI mono box was $80 at my GC the other day brand new. IMHO and IME these are lightyears better than the Behringer boxes and much better than most other budget DI boxes.

Don't assume you have to spend $200 on a DI box, look used too.

And as tiny mentioned Line 6 knows guitar stuff, may not always be the best quality tones since they do modeling but it's far from terrible. There is likely something in your home environment causing hum/interference.

I'd say if you can't pinpoint the problem maybe try a decent power conditioner Monster Power does decent power conditioning and you can get a 2 outlet model for about $40. I actually scored a couple foir $17 each at AMS a few weeks ago for a new day new deal and as an added bonus they came with a couple of 12' instrument cables (not a huge monster cable fan but $36 for two power conditioners and two cables is a great deal). IMO and IME the power conditioner will probably help fix more than using a DI in place of the Line 6.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie folk guy ➑️
Radial Pro DI mono box was $80 at my GC the other day brand new. IMHO and IME these are lightyears better than the Behringer boxes and much better than most other budget DI boxes.

Don't assume you have to spend $200 on a DI box, look used too.

And as tiny mentioned Line 6 knows guitar stuff, may not always be the best quality tones since they do modeling but it's far from terrible. There is likely something in your home environment causing hum/interference.

I'd say if you can't pinpoint the problem maybe try a decent power conditioner Monster Power does decent power conditioning and you can get a 2 outlet model for about $40. I actually scored a couple foir $17 each at AMS a few weeks ago for a new day new deal and as an added bonus they came with a couple of 12' instrument cables (not a huge monster cable fan but $36 for two power conditioners and two cables is a great deal). IMO and IME the power conditioner will probably help fix more than using a DI in place of the Line 6.
Thanks, i was planning on using a DI into the line 6 interface though. Would that be a bad idea? and also do DI's have any use in a guitar rig for live purposes? Sorry im very uneducated on this subject, and i find that the best place to learn is on the forums from people who actually deal with this stuff!
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The Line 6 features a built in DI feature I don't think it'd serve you much of a purpose to buy a dedicated DI box.

Depends on what you are doing live for it to be useful. They are useful for me live on my acoustic gigs I run my acoustic pickup signal to the DI to the FOH and I use the thruput to my recording interface (kind of like a splitter).

If you are getting noise in your home environment its likely dirty power, interference, etc. So if you can isolate the problem and eliminate it you should be fine. Power conditioners can also be helpful and in addition to cleaning your power (which can eliminate noise and interference) it also helps protect your gear from harmful surges.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a Behringer DI400P... and its sound? Ehhhh.... Its meh at best. I have a couple of Radial DI's that sound a lot better.
Old 14th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I wouldn't go with the Behringer. I've used ART in the past and they are great for the price. They even do a tube one which works well.

For a little bit more you can get a Focusrite ISA One which is a mic pre and has a DI built in too. That's what I use most of the time these days.

Good luck.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you can't afford a Radial ProDI, then you might consider one of the DI boxes from EWI: LDB-101.
Old 14th September 2012

🎧 10 years
From the description (When I move around or point the guitar different directions the hum changes volumes but never goes away. When I use the same setup at my drummers house I don't have a single problem with noise), the hum is most likely to be caused by induction. That is, alternating currents present in nearby electrical equipment induce a current in the pick-ups . The DI, however much you spend on it, will see this as a signal and it will still be audible.

DIs are very useful in live applications for getting unbalanced signals into the mic input of a mixer. They also work well at eliminated hums caused by ground loops. Most PA rental companies and venues with in house systems will carry DI boxes.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Cheap and gets the job done.... the ART Tube MP.
ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp | Musician's Friend
30 bucks. Sure, it's a cheap mic pre... but it can also double as a D.I. box if you set the volumes accordingly, how's that for versatility?
Just change the tube, would be my only suggestion, and not even something you would have to immediately do, it doesn't really do too much to the sound. A new tube will run you like $15, $20.

Palmer stuff is awesome if you don't mind spending the bones. Their PDI-09 can be had for like 160 bucks, but it's a good unit, and has built in speaker simulation that can come in pretty handy if you're running preamp signals direct.
πŸ“ Reply