Calling All HS80M Users...A Survey - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Calling All HS80M Users...A Survey
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Calling All HS80M Users...A Survey

Hi all,

I recently got a pair of HS80Ms and am also experiencing the tweeter hiss problem. They produce hissing even when there aren't any inputs present (nothing is connected besides the power cord). It is not very loud at all but when my room is quiet it becomes a glaring problem.

While many people share this problem, a good amount claim that they have zero hiss coming from their tweeters and this gives me hope. I am no EE so I have no idea what can be causing this and would like to conduct a survey to try to zero in on the problem (and hopefully save us all!!). While the source itself might not be the problem, I want to see if sending the signal through a different circuit that might be more resistant to interference (such as 1/4", XLR, unbalanced, balanced, Mid EQ, etc.) creates a solution.

To help, fill out the following survey:

Level:
Input Type (Balance):
Mid EQ:
Room Control:
High Trim:
Low Cut:
Hiss Detected:

NOTE: The hiss is very faint unless in a quiet room. Make sure to put your ear literally right up against the tweeter to detect the hiss.

With your help maybe we can once and for all solve this problem!!
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Level: +4dB
Input Type (Balance): 1/4" TS (Unbalanced)
Mid EQ: 0 dB
Room Control: 0 dB
High Trim: 0 dB
Low Cut: Flat
Hiss Detected: YES!!!
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have these speakers and have never noticed a problem... and I'm not going to try to notice it anytime soon.

Crap... I guess I'll go turn them on now and see if I can hear the hiss. It'll be like the time 20 years ago when someone pointed out John Bonham's squeaky bass pedal on Since I've Been Loving You and now that's all I hear.

Thanks alot...
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
use balanced input cables
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee3 ➑️
I have these speakers and have never noticed a problem... and I'm not going to try to notice it anytime soon.

Crap... I guess I'll go turn them on now and see if I can hear the hiss. It'll be like the time 20 years ago when someone pointed out John Bonham's squeaky bass pedal on Since I've Been Loving You and now that's all I hear.

Thanks alot...
Did i mention the port resonance?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee3 ➑️

Thanks alot...
Sorry! Maybe you are better off not participating this time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibravibra ➑️
I suspect this could be a contributing factor but not in the way you might be implying.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
+1, also check nothing else in your setup is causing it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's probably this, indeed.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm using balanced cables and I've got the hiss too.
I wouldn't call it hiss in a whiney-hiss sense, it's more of a highpassed pink noisy hiss.
When reasearching this earlier I found that every HS80Ms users have that, well apart from the deaf ones...

It's annoying me even more since I recently treated my room.

I've got everything in standard settings.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

I am using balanced cables and have no hiss problem. I like my HM80s, don't love them though. They need careful placement and good room treatment but I guess that's true of all speakers.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
No HS80 here, but the little brother HS50...and yes... Hiss.. a tiny amount. Unbalanced into my Monitor Station, TRS out (tried on several interfaces..hiss present on all so..)

Still love them though:D

Sent from my HTC One X
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaccona ➑️
I'm using balanced cables and I've got the hiss too.
I wouldn't call it hiss in a whiney-hiss sense, it's more of a highpassed pink noisy hiss.
When reasearching this earlier I found that every HS80Ms users have that, well apart from the deaf ones...

It's annoying me even more since I recently treated my room.

I've got everything in standard settings.
I'm sad to hear it =(. Are you using 1/4" TRS or XLR for connections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye ➑️
I am using balanced cables and have no hiss problem. I like my HM80s, don't love them though. They need careful placement and good room treatment but I guess that's true of all speakers.
Awesome! Are you using 1/4" TRS or XLR for connections?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm using XLR.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Level: A line below +4dB
Input Type (Balance): TRS
Mid EQ: 0
Room Control: 0
High Trim: 0
Hiss Detected: Yes, very low

When I got these monitors, I heard the hiss and was obviously preoccupied about it. I found that the hiss got louder at certain hours of the day, and figured it's an electric supply issue. I live in an apartment building and I guess some kind of static issues are generated when people use certain electric devices. I bet this is the problem for some of the people who have hiss.

The good thing is that the hiss, at least for me, is too low to bother me when I sit 3 or 4 feet away from my monitors.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think every pair of monitors I've owned had a hiss when I put my ear right up close to it.. I think it's just the nature of the electronics. ( especially in this price range)..My monitors being in this price range also.. ..Haven't tried this with very high end ones..
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman ➑️
I think every pair of monitors I've owned had a hiss when I put my ear right up close to it.. I think it's just the nature of the electronics. ( especially in this price range)..My monitors being in this price range also.. ..Haven't tried this with very high end ones..
Pretty much that.

The hiss I have is not connected to any electrical issues or anything.
I've heard my monitors in different locations and others as well.
Many people really don't notice the hiss, it's not loud.

It's just the active monitors, I was told about that before I got em a few years ago and I heard the hiss in the store, too.

They hiss. Period. Other speakers have the same thing going.
Unless your hiss is not pretty quiet and noticeable only while having no background noise in the room, but while playing music through the speaker it is normal for them.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Had the HS80's years ago! I used one of this lil guys and the hiss was gone!!!! Calling All HS80M Users...A Survey-imageuploadedbygearslutz1347534650.146666.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Calling All HS80M Users...A Survey-imageuploadedbygearslutz1347534678.914502.jpg  
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaaceman ➑️
Level: +4dB
Input Type (Balance): 1/4" TS (Unbalanced)
Mid EQ: 0 dB
Room Control: 0 dB
High Trim: 0 dB
Hiss Detected: YES!!!
Same here.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It might sound seriously crazy, but I recently got my HS80M's a couple of weeks ago. I hooked it up to my interface with balanced cables (To a Saffire 6) and settings in +4db and 0 on eq's, I heard some hissing, but I figured out that the hissing was caused whenever my laptop charger was plugged into my laptop. Got a new laptop recently also, and when I hooked that one up, it turns out it was my older laptop causing the problem. Hisses are gone now.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Balanced cables here. Hiss is in-audible unless I stick my ear right up to the tweeter. It's a non-issue, because I don't listen to monitors with my ears plastered against them.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine have a hiss, that is completely drowned out by my computer fan (which produces the least noise of any fans I've ever had in a tower). So it's inaudible to me unless my ear is about 1" from the speaker that's furthest from the tower.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This thread made me turn on my HS80's and stick my ear up to the tweet..

I have a highly grounded power distribution system in my studio and I can detect no hiss of any kind. I use balanced XLR connectors. They are dead quiet.

I would imagine that not having a properly grounded electrical system could cause all kinds of noise.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I run Mogami Gold quad patch cables TRS-XLR, have a treated room, and I have a high end Monster Power Conditioner (clean stage 2). I detect no audible hiss.

I run everything on mine flat, level is +4dB.

I'd assume that it's probably a combination of poor power filtering and using unbalanced cables. I'd be more worried about hearing hiss while you are using them than when no signal is passing through them. Because if you honestly spent the time learning the speakers in your environment chances are you'd be compensating naturally for this hiss making it in essence a non issue.

I'd try getting a good power conditioner (not just a cheap furman) and run balanced cables. Report back with your findings then.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My HS-50's do have a nice hiss. My Adam A7X's sitting right next to them, using the same power source, and hooked into the same interface using the same type of cabling are 110% dead silent. Zero noise of any kind that's audible unless you put your ear immediately on the ribbon. Even then, it's so quiet you need to listen for it very carefully.
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hmm...I want to test my monitors with some sort of power conditioner but that is an expensive experiment... For those of you with power conditioners (and don't have hissing), if you plug your monitors directly into an outlet do they start hissing?
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's definately not related to power issues or unbalanced cables.

I've heard at least 6 different pairs in different environments and they all had the same hiss.

I don't wanna sound rude (really :p) but maybe people just don't hear it due to the specific environment (outside noise, other gear noise) or hearing loss.

Maybe include the age in your survey! Lol!
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hmm...I want to test my monitors with some sort of power conditioner but that is an expensive experiment... For those of you with power conditioners (and don't have hissing), if you plug your monitors directly into an outlet do they start hissing?
My Furman's cost me $100 each shipped from Amazon.

I have a pair of the HS80's as well as the HS10W. I have a 1,700 sq-ft room, so sometimes the sub comes in handy when playing back LOUD. I have used every combination of the settings dialing them in, I currently have them set as follows:

Level: A line above +4dB, though this gets changed often, depending on what I'm listening to/for.
Input Type (Balance): TS, as my Fostex's MON outs are unbalanced (at least I assume they are; it doesn't say what they are in the manual and Fostex USA is no more. This will warrant some investigation).
Mid EQ: 0
Room Control: 0
High Trim: +2
Low Cut: off, but it depends on if I am using my sub or not; either way, it makes no difference regarding any noise.
Hiss Detected: Not audible unless I press my ear up tight against the tweeter and it's there even if nothing is plugged in. The same is true for my JBL's, cheapie M-Audio DX-4's and my DIY Aurotones.

I have a pair of Fostex VF160's, when plugged into those (they're chained together), and using the monitor outs (-10dbv), I run TS lines into the 1/4" ins on the Yamas and do get a bit of hiss, but I chalk that up to the Fozzies. I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 212 interface, and when hooked up in the same fashion, there is no hiss. My desktop motherboard has a "Blu Ray" compatible output (whatever that means) and when I run a stereo 3.5mm male to RCA female Y-cable and then RCA to TS 1/4" males into the Yama's, there is no hiss. Same when I plug said cable into my MP3 player.

I hear no hiss when there is nothing connected to the Yama's despite how I have them adjusted.

The only weird thing I have noticed is that the Fozzies have the 1/4" MON outs as well as a pair of RCA "main" outs and when I have the Yama's hooked up to the MON outs and then run RCA outs from the mains into my Peavey PA as well, the hiss moves from the Yamas to the PA. Again, I assume this to be attributed to the Fostex's.

I have everything plugged into Furman M-8Lx's, with a proper ground (both of my power circuits are grounded/hooked up to 4-foot copper/steel spikes driven into the earth in my well/water shed which is attached to my building).

I would assume that any hiss anyone is getting is a power conditioning issue. I have had my Yama's turned up to one notch below max, with the sub at about 70% up, with the 100Hz cut off on on the HS80's. No hiss.

FWIW, when I plug headphones into the headphone jack on either of the Fozzies there is a slight hiss, but no hiss from the Scarlett 212 or computer when doing the same. If I run the Fozzies into my Scarlett, there is no hiss if I plug my headphones or Yamas into that for monitoring.

In short, the only time I get any noticeable hiss from the Yama's is when they are plugged into the MON outs on my Fostex's. Anything else that I plug them into produces no hiss.

DISCLAIMER: As far as putting your ear against the tweeters and listening, well, I have never met a pair of speakers that don't produce at least some hiss at such a close proximity; even the $4,000-a-piece Tannoys they have at a studio I work out of sometimes. If it's electrical, there will be some audible hiss if you press your ear up on the tweeter, but I am referring to hearing it from my chair, where which I don't hear any hiss, unless I am monitoring straight from my Fozzie's.

I hope this wasn't too confusing, been up all night working on a mix.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
you can often find decent Furman and Monster power conditioners for $100-$200 they serve many purposes aside from cleaning your power and giving you some resistance to interference. They protect your equipment from harmful surges and yes I have had a house get struck by lightning and the only electrical items that survived where on my power conditioners and high end APC power strips (with battery backup). Not to mention if you gig, live in an older house, etc were similar surge related issues can occur.

I'd say $100-$200 to protect potentially thousands of dollars in equipment is a very small price to pay and I say this after having to rebuild from the devastating effects of power surges.

And to properly isolate hiss you just proved that the monitor isn't the cause of the issue by plugging into a straight wall outlet with no power conditioning. This means you are using dirty power the POWER is the cause of the HISS, NOT THE SPEAKER.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaccona ➑️
It's definately not related to power issues or unbalanced cables.

I've heard at least 6 different pairs in different environments and they all had the same hiss.

I don't wanna sound rude (really :p) but maybe people just don't hear it due to the specific environment (outside noise, other gear noise) or hearing loss.

Maybe include the age in your survey! Lol!
years ago I worked at a major mi retailer and we sold many pairs of HS50 and HS80 monitors I've never encountered these hiss issues nor did I have clients report of such issues and believe me I can tell you about many poorly made products.

The Yamaha HS and JBL LSR series monitors imho and ime seem to be the best bang for buck monitoring systems you can get in low end. A lot of the Dynaudio and Adam options kinda kick you up into a higher price bracket.

I've used HS80M for years in my own rig and have never had these hiss issues. I just had an appointment at my audiologist to get some molds done for in ears and for musicians plugs they did a hearing test and I passed with flying colors didn't miss a thing.

So either there is a manufacturing issue that has arisen in the last couple of years or there are other variables causing this hiss. Like I said before have any of you made bad mixes as a result of this "hiss"? If it isn't affecting the way you do your job than what is honestly the big deal?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie folk guy ➑️
The Yamaha HS and JBL LSR series monitors imho and ime seem to be the best bang for buck monitoring systems you can get in low end. A lot of the Dynaudio and Adam options kinda kick you up into a higher price bracket.
I had a pair of LSR's for a short while. I never ran into any hiss with them. Only the HS-50's. I've tried them through power conditioners and battery backups with no avail. The only thing I can think of is that they're more sensitive to power issues as they may be using another type of amplification circuit from the LSR's I was demoing and/or the Adam's the I currently own.
πŸ“ Reply