Calling All HS80M Users...A Survey - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Calling All HS80M Users...A Survey
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Level: +4db
Input Type (Balance): XLRs from monitor controller to monitors. Combination balanced (XLR-TRS) and unbalanced (RCA) connections to controller.
Mid EQ: 0db
Room Control: 0db
High Trim: -2db
Low Cut: 0db
Hiss Detected: Not from monitors, no... running noiser equipment (Tascam 688) presents some hiss, of course.

I'm 32, my ears work fine! ;-)

Have owned the HS80Ms since 2009.

They run off the same power strip/ground point as all of my other gear.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
They do hiss, but it's not a problem since it's so quiet.

If it is still noticeable while you're mixing I would first check to see if it's interference from a pre, or a computer monitor etc.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I recently moved from a bedroom setup into my own studio. The hiss has dramatically dropped.

They are also alot less sensitive to that mobile phone blipping interference. Even with a phone very close come to think of it.

I had other monitors in the 'bedroom' set up too, which were unaffected. I'm thinking they have a poor power supply, that's very sensitive to dodgy electrics and causes some spill/hiss.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just to be clear, I think we're talking about a hiss issue that is only audible when your room is really silent. It easily gets drowned out by the slightest volume of music.
So it's not really a problem when mixing or listening but it's there as soon as you stop the playback, which can be annoying.

I'll try a few things you guys suggested (some I did already) but since I still believe this is just a side-effect of the monitors' design I don't expect it to help.

EDIT: I've attached a crappy iPhone recording I just did to show the noise.
Ignore the usual mobile phone recording noise throughout the file but pay attention to the additional (pretty much 10-16k) hiss from 0.05 Min - 0.10 Min.
That's the phone closeup to the grill of the HS80M tweeter.
Attached Files

HS80M.m4a (109.9 KB, 106 views)

Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie folk guy ➡️
And to properly isolate hiss you just proved that the monitor isn't the cause of the issue by plugging into a straight wall outlet with no power conditioning. This means you are using dirty power the POWER is the cause of the HISS, NOT THE SPEAKER.
Do your monitors hiss when plugged directly into an outlet?
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My HS80s have a very slight hiss. At first it bothered me and I thought the tweeters may be damaged, but knowing that they are all like that is reassuring. It doesn't make any difference in terms of hearing your mixes.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaaceman ➡️
Do your monitors hiss when plugged directly into an outlet?
I hate to say this but all my outlets have Monster Power conditioners built into them at my studio so everything gets at least Clean Stage 1 filtering.

Most things running off the outlets are either going through Monster Power Conditioners with Stage 2 filtering or through Furman power strips that also have power conditioning built in.

And as I said if I were to conduct such a test and my answer was yes they hiss when plugged into a wall outlet could still make dirty power/something else in your environment the cause of your issue. If I say no they don't hiss it still doesn't isolate your monitor as the problem because you could still be getting hiss as a result of something else in YOUR enviornment.

Cell phones, monitors, other electronics, etc.

Now to get back to my points before if this neglible amount of hiss (from what others have indicated) is only noticeable in a dead silent room with nothing in use than how is it even an issue when it comes time to do mixing through the speakers if it isn't noticeable when you are listening to something?

I just don't really see the purpose in participating in this thread when you are refusing to invest in a power conditioner to protect your gear. I have over $100k invested in gear a power conditioner (even a very good one) is a very neglible expense to protect that investment.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I just don't really see the purpose in participating in this thread when you are refusing to invest in a power conditioner to protect your gear. I have over $100k invested in gear a power conditioner (even a very good one) is a very neglible expense to protect that investment.
Huh?? I am asking all these questions because I am interested in getting one. I have limited funds so I'd like to make sure it is a good investment first.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibravibra ➡️
use balanced input cables
It can't be that:

Quote:
They produce hissing even when there aren't any inputs present (nothing is connected besides the power cord).
If nothing is connected besides the power cord, the type of input cable obviously won't matter.

I have had my HS8Ms for years, and have never noticed any abnormal hiss. There is a very slight hiss, that is audible when I put my ear 1" from the tweeter, but this is normal for any speaker.

Try toggling all of the switches on the back (low cut, etc). Also, are you using the power cable in a 3-prong outlet, or are you using a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter? If the latter is true, the monitor is not properly grounded. Then, try different outlets, and a line conditioner (you can "rent" one from Radio Shack).

All else fails, contact Yamaha. Here's a quote from another forum member who started a thread with the same issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Goblin ➡️
For anyone who might have similar issues:

Yamaha repaired it for me. So, if you're having similar issues, there shouldn't be a problem getting it fixed (for free).
Cheers.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Huh?? I am asking all these questions because I am interested in getting one. I have limited funds so I'd like to make sure it is a good investment first.
they are imho one of the best monitors you can buy under $1k, I certainly wouldn't own them and use them if I hated them I could pretty much buy whatever I want and I chose to use those.

But as with any investment it also pays to protect your gear. So I think it's silly that you guys are refusing to spend what can cost as little as $40 to protect your electronics from surges/dirty power.

And the original purpose of this thread has been to determine if it's a design flaw, it's not, as someone else just pointed out Yamaha will fix the issue under warranty for free.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
they are imho one of the best monitors you can buy under $1k, I certainly wouldn't own them and use them if I hated them I could pretty much buy whatever I want and I chose to use those.

But as with any investment it also pays to protect your gear. So I think it's silly that you guys are refusing to spend what can cost as little as $40 to protect your electronics from surges/dirty power.

And the original purpose of this thread has been to determine if it's a design flaw, it's not, as someone else just pointed out Yamaha will fix the issue under warranty for free.
Alot of monitors in the $750-$1.5K now, well ok under/around $1500, that are getting lots better. Better amps, better components, and design.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music ➡️
Alot of monitors in the $750-$1.5K now, well ok under/around $1500, that are getting lots better. Better amps, better components, and design.
agreed but as I said I've used my pair and many others over the years (probably 7 now) and don't have issues with these monitors. To my ear they offer a pleasing sound and mixes always translate well. This is a scenario of room and personal preference too.

Any monitor can sound better or worse depending on subjective preferences and how well tuned the room in use is.

While there are newer models that seem better only time will tell how well they will hold up to long term use.

Yamaha's HS series may not have the longest track record but the NS10 is an industry standard for decades and still going strong.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
agreed but as I said I've used my pair and many others over the years (probably 7 now) and don't have issues with these monitors. To my ear they offer a pleasing sound and mixes always translate well. This is a scenario of room and personal preference too.

Any monitor can sound better or worse depending on subjective preferences and how well tuned the room in use is.

While there are newer models that seem better only time will tell how well they will hold up to long term use.

Yamaha's HS series may not have the longest track record but the NS10 is an industry standard for decades and still going strong.
I have NS10's..
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have NS10's..
there really aren't that many fancy new monitors that have those types of proven track records until you really start moving up in pricepoint. Certainly nothing I can think of that you would see as often as an NS10. I can easily find brand new warrantied pairs of HS80M for $500 USD.

And that's not to say I hate Focals, Adams, Genelecs, Dynaudios, JBLs, etc.

Simply that I definitely consider the reliability/reputation of a product prior to purchase as it decreases the risk in buying.

There are a lot of popular products produced today that simply suck in terms of QC and reliability. Many products aren't built to last or to be versatile in a number of environments/situations. When you work with location recordings or have the potential to change spaces (which is definitely my case I've moved many times the last 10 years). I think these are important considerations.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
there really aren't that many fancy new monitors that have those types of proven track records until you really start moving up in pricepoint. Certainly nothing I can think of that you would see as often as an NS10.
Is it true that ONE OF the biggest differences between NS10's and the HS series is that the HS's are ported? I think the port allows them to go lower which they knew would appeal to home studio folks. NS10's aren't really known for going very low from what I read.

That being said, Ive been reading Mike Senior's "Mixing Secrets for Small Studios" and, though I'm still in the first few chapters, he recommends plugging ports on ported speakers to reduce resonance.

I just totally thread-jacked here...lol sorry
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 ➡️
Is it true that ONE OF the biggest differences between NS10's and the HS series is that the HS's are ported? I think the port allows them to go lower which they knew would appeal to home studio folks. NS10's aren't really known for going very low from what I read.

That being said, Ive been reading Mike Senior's "Mixing Secrets for Small Studios" and, though I'm still in the first few chapters, he recommends plugging ports on ported speakers to reduce resonance.

I just totally thread-jacked here...lol sorry
Yuuuup...
That's what I do!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yuuuup...
That's what I do!
Lol u plug with a sock? Ur low-end mixes sound significantly better?

I plugged mine with some scrap Auralex I had laying around, ran the RTA on REW, and could see the difference dramatically.

However, I wanted that low-end there so I took it back out. I didnt realize that the impact on resonance was so significant though. Im gonna try again but do waterfall tests instead of just freq response.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Lol u plug with a sock? Ur low-end mixes sound significantly better?

I plugged mine with some scrap Auralex I had laying around, ran the RTA on REW, and could see the difference dramatically.

However, I wanted that low-end there so I took it back out. I didnt realize that the impact on resonance was so significant though. Im gonna try again but do waterfall tests instead of just freq response.
Ok.. Do what ya want..

Bass and Kick are two tracks, I can reference check and easily adjust..with my KRK12S sub, BerdmcsDT880, or the 2012 Malibu Radio. And I'm done!
I'd rather gain with the plugged port then to hear low-end.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
^ Well with a sub to compensate for the lack of low-end......of course.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
^ Well with a sub to compensate for the lack of low-end......of course.
I worry about the low-end later! I have 50-60+ plus tracks to worry about!
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
careful guys you are giving away my hidden secrets lol it'd been so long ago I forgot to mention that I plugged the ports on mine.
📝 Reply