Quantcast
Yamaha A1 Amplifier and Yamaha NS244 Montiors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha A1 Amplifier and Yamaha NS244 Montiors
Old 12th September 2012
Yamaha A1 Amplifier and Yamaha NS244 Montiors

I recently stumbled into some old yamaha pieces i was hoping to use as a secondary monitoring system but I cant much about them online.

First is a set of Yamaha NS244 speakers. Ive found next to nothing about these online, some say they are the big brother to NS-10s, some say they sound like trash. I hooked them up to my home stereo and they dont sound that bad but i just wanted to know if they had any business being considered a "studio monitor".

I wanted to hook them up to an amplifier I also just got, a vintage Yamaha A1. This I could find quiet a bit on here

Yamaha A-1 on thevintageknob.org

It seems like with the DISC button engaged it would be a stand alone power amp, which would work well for what I need (to bypass any EQ circuit).

Just looking for some opinions my fellow slutz, on how this would turn out as a secondary monitoring system. Thanks!
Old 11th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
All I can tell you is that I had an A-1 from about 1979 until it quit about five years ago. It got tons of use, and I loved it. I never really thought of it as a monitoring amp. In Disc mode, doesn't it only accept input from the "phono in?" I don't remember to be honest, but that's kind of how I remember it. Also, if I recall, it only has RCA inputs and home speaker wire outs...(black and gray thumbscrews if I recall). I think one of the more qualified engineers can better inform you as to how it would serve from a reproduction standpoint. I just know that I liked it for spinning vinyl on my old Dual turntable.
Old 10th November 2017
Here for the gear

fireandglass,
Did you ever try out the NS-244s?
Do they sound similar to the NS-10Ms, as in not pleasant and very middy?
I'm considering picking up a pair just for pleasure listening.
Thank you!
Old 19th May 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowFish ➡️
fireandglass,
Did you ever try out the NS-244s?
Do they sound similar to the NS-10Ms, as in not pleasant and very middy?
I'm considering picking up a pair just for pleasure listening.
Thank you!
I ended up picking up a pair of NS-244.
They are 2 ways with a 10" woofer, a soft dome tweeter and nice build quality.
The woofer seems to have a slight but very annoying peak around 800hz that was not dealt with via the factory crossover.
Besides that, the 244s have profoundly deep and tight bass, slightly forward mids and nice highs.
I didn't enjoy listening to them because of the midrange peak, so I removed the passive crossover entirely, changed the tweeter to a SB29rdcn that can be crossed very low and biamped them using a Ashly crossover. As a fun project and to learn more about passive crossovers, I am going to design a new passive for the modified speaker and will try to flatten out the FR.

In a nut shell, the NS-244 is an inherently flawed 2 way design with anything but a flat frequency response and an annoying midrange peak. It does play low though, besides that it reminds me of another 2 way speaker with a white woofer that I used to own, I just can't think of the model number right now...
📝 Reply