Quantcast
VintageVoice'd MJE-v250 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VintageVoice'd MJE-v250
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
VintageVoice'd MJE-v250

anyone tried michael joly's mod of the mxl v250? really curious how it sounds. looking to pick up one for vox and acoustic guitar mainly, but if it sounds good i might just get a pair and use them for overheads as well .

anyone tried one?
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I ordered a pair and they got shipped out Monday and my band is setting up to start doing some tracking so I'll be sure to post some samples and comparisons
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
sweet please do, il be looking forward to hearing them
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD1176 ➑️
sweet please do, il be looking forward to hearing them
+1
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Joly's mod's are truly excellent. I still can't believe the results that I'm getting from my Rode NT1a that he modded! I really can't live without this mic now.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have two mje modded mxl 990 and they are amazing on everything i have put them on.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
They arrived at the end of the week and I am super stoked to try these on drums now. I knew nothing about the stock mics before so I was pleasantly surprised to see how small they are. Moving in to my new place is done enough that I can go into the studio tonight...
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevjonez ➑️
I have two mje modded mxl 990 and they are amazing on everything i have put them on.
Do those have the k47 style capsule?
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slymo ➑️
They arrived at the end of the week and I am super stoked to try these on drums now. I knew nothing about the stock mics before so I was pleasantly surprised to see how small they are. Moving in to my new place is done enough that I can go into the studio tonight...
Awesome dude, have you had a chance to put them through their paces? If so how are you liking them?
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Finally got some stuff recorded...it was fast, down and dirty over here
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just gotta say I love these mics. I'm selling a bunch of my other mics because I finally found a sound that I really like. I know everyone's mileage may vary but I really find this design gives me a sound that is true to the source. Because of that I was able to really tell the difference in my preamps, if I had something set wrong or if something is out of phase. Nothing quite like the feeling of finally having "the search" be over if you know what I mean.
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
sweet man! im gonna check into your sounds clips tomorow when I get a minute to fire up my monitors. Glad your happy with them, and I appreciate you taking the time to upload some stuff
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slymo ➑️
Just gotta say I love these mics. I'm selling a bunch of my other mics because I finally found a sound that I really like. I know everyone's mileage may vary but I really find this design gives me a sound that is true to the source. Because of that I was able to really tell the difference in my preamps, if I had something set wrong or if something is out of phase. Nothing quite like the feeling of finally having "the search" be over if you know what I mean.

congrats! Great feeling isn't it? But I'm still not selling any of my mics.,,.,.,,
Old 27th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
congrats! Great feeling isn't it? But I'm still not selling any of my mics.,,.,.,,

Knowing what you have "laying around" I wouldn't either
Old 19th May 2014
Lives for gear

how are your feelings about the MJE v250? i was listening to ALL of the LDC samples on michael joly's website and must say that the v250 was the one that seemed a bit dull sounding. all the other LDC sounded more articulate and clear - they do sound fantastic compared to the neumann/gfell. must have been down to the 6-micron capsule and the "more vintage voicing" mod of the v250 mic.
can anyone who had the chance to test some of those LDC for real confirm this?
πŸ“ Reply