Quantcast
CLA Chaining Multiple FX to a single AUX? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CLA Chaining Multiple FX to a single AUX?
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I love talking about SSL mods, gear chains and working methods, but most of what CLA does would have been commonplace 10 years ago! These days it seems like if you use an SSL to it's full potential with some hardware it's black magic...lol

I was telling somebody the other day how I thought the CLA plugins were funny. They are dumbed down, but reflect "old school" techniques (sub harmonic synths, Sans Amp ect..)

And...I fully agree "especially these days" having an impressive room psychologically makes the client question your work less and feel great about spending $$$$$$
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
there is no sans amp in CLA plugins, he uses the real v1 sans amp though.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was talking about the idea of using "something like" a Sans Amp.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➑️
GRAMMY-Winning Engineer Chris Lord-Alge Mixes the CLA Song Competition Winner - YouTube
3:50

"i use that to generate the extra octave and ive been using that for a while"

i could recreate that effect with RenEQ HC around 100 - Renaissance Bass freq around 50-60 gain around -5/6 with an intensity around 5 - and a L1 limiter adjusted to taste.

yes we've been to the moon, watch the videos, as i recommend you to do in this case and hear it from the man himself
Dude, it's a Waves promo video, of course he is going to hype their plugins. I have seen all the CLA vids, I think he's great. Sure he's using some plugs on the way in. All these jack wagons saying his outboard is for show, get real...
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i'm amazed, i am amazed
Pastor Obviedo
Maybe the guys who attended to his "Mix with the masters" seminar in France could spread the beans

Everything else is pure speculation
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
the guys that attended the 1-day seminar were prety frustrated with ive read
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
No, I mean the one week seminar. I'm sure you should learn something after watching Chris Lord doing his thing on 14 different songs during a whole week!

PO.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I went to the one day thing. There were quite a few frustrating things about that day indeed. I watched him mix. It was very minimal. I can tell you this. He did not do anything out of the ordinary. He just had great source tracks.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I may be wrong, but I think a lot of the real hard work is done at the time of session comping down to 48 tracks on the 3348. I know his assistants do this in a preset manner to his instructions. Whether he's actually there for that process or not I don't know. By the time it arrives at the SSL it's already been dumbed down to his "specs" watching it, I feel it's more like mixing by preset, in an analog way.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Chiconcuac
Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadkd ➑️
I may be wrong, but I think a lot of the real hard work is done at the time of session comping down to 48 tracks on the 3348. I know his assistants do this in a preset manner to his instructions. Whether he's actually there for that process or not I don't know. By the time it arrives at the SSL it's already been dumbed down to his "specs" watching it, I feel it's more like mixing by preset, in an analog way.
agree,, his assistants "Pre mix" everything before he starts. So its only a matter of balance. part of the secret relies in his assistants, although I'm sure he trained them.

Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I personally know one of his assistants and I do not believe this to be the case.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Pastor Obviedo
I'm wondering why moderators moved this great thread to the "Low end Theory".

Talking about SSL configurations and mods is not high end enough?

Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have no idea why they'd do that. Pretty wack. No one has been talking low end. Maybe we need to talk about what want to buy.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I started this thread, with the CLA example, to see if people had some creative ways of getting multiple EFX common to specific instruments (i.e. drums/perc, voc) to send from sources than an AUX per effect. Seemed like CLA (surely along with lots of guys on ssl's) was doing just that.

Not sure why this ended up in low end theory? Perhaps due to the conversation having digressed to seminars and signature plugs?

I hope there are more thoughts such as buss assignment, parallel multiing, small fader sends, etc. regarding how to quickly send to several EFX without using up the Aux so quickly.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I mean I don't think there's any tricks your missing. Reverbs on the sends and he had the vocal delays sent from the small fader to the busses.
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I figured it out! Looking at the pictures Brian posted it became obvious. Hit me up if youd like to know what i think.

Rick
Old 12th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
im stillhaving trouble grabbing the concept of this

ok his second bucket of the ssl are 8 stereo channels dedicated to reverb returns.

Chris Lord Alge at Mix LA 195 ssl console | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

A ?
B EMT (EMT 246)
C 251 (EMT 251)
D SONY (SONY DRE 2000)
E BRIC (BRICASTI M7)
F MARSH (MARSHALL AR-300, 15ips) -- vocals
G H3K (EVENTIDE H3000, 423 VOC DOUBLER BC) -- vocals
H REV-5 (YAMAHA REV-5, SETTING 5) -- vocals

his 14 reverbs that are currectly racked are:

1 AMS RMX-16
2 BRICASTI M7
3 EMT 245
4 EMT 246
5 EMT 251
6 EMT 252
7 LEXICON 224
8 LEXICON M300
9 LEXICON 480L
10 QUANTEC QRS
11 SONY DRE 2000
12 SONY MU-R201
13 URSA MAJOR SPACE STATION SST-282
14 YAMAHA REV5

his delays are:
1 LEXICON PCM 42 (2x)
2 LINE 6 ECHO PRO (2x)
3 MARSHALL AR-300 (2x)

since i dont have an ssl its hard for me to understand where those reverb and delay returns return on the board, since his ssl has with the exception of bucket 2 (stereo returns), other duties
Hi guys,

Sorry to resurrect this really old thread - A link was posted to an image on Flickr which showed the effects returns section of CLA's console. The image no longer appears to be on flickr so i'm wondering does anyone have it available to share?

Many thanks,
Mark.
πŸ“ Reply