setup update - help needed - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
setup update - help needed
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
setup update - help needed

Hello everyone!

I've been reading the forums for the past 2 weeks and finally decided to ask members for the advice

I have the following setup:
Gigabyte GA-EX58A-UD3R
Intel i7 920 @ 3.4Ghz
CM Hyper212 Plus
12 GB DDR3
1 TB HDD
Gigabyte 8600GT DualDVI (dual view)
CM Elite 430 + CM 650W

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
KRK RPG8 G2
Sennheiser HD25 - using them just for referencing

Kurzweil PC3K8
Korg Kronos 61
Behringer BCF x 2
Behringer BCR
Akai MPD32

I use my PC just for the music arranging, composing and just basic mixing while i'm in demo phase. For professional mixing and mastering i turn to the full time pros

Considering i'm using my keyboards as midi controllers (and for live - but that is not the part of this discussion), i have bunch of vst instruments and effect which i use exclusively (i don't like using hardware more then i have to) so upgrading hard disc and ram is always an option.

I use Akai midi for drum controling (i don't like playing drums on keys) - is there a point in getting Akai MPC 5000? What would i get, except drum sounds and screen?

Probably, the first two things to change are Behringers for Mackie Controllers and monitors for better ones (any recommendations? my room is treated but i doubt those KRKs will do the job in case i want to learn more about mixing and mastering in the near future)

I'd like to hear your opinions - so far i wasn't serious about making music a career but after this live gig tour i've got, i'm looking for suggestions about upgrading my home studio.

Thanks,
JagorJagas
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It really comes down to budget and needs. A lot of guys just like to spend money on gear, when their rig works just fine. I look for holes in my system, areas that are not performing up to my expectations or which leave me unable to do something that I need to do, and that is where I spend my money. i got an Alesis drum kit, because I did not find other methods of entering drum tracks to satisfy my needs, but with modern drum software like AD or Superior, the parts are mostly all there, composing drum tracks can be a drag and drop affair. I've just bought the d8bridge software package to convert my old D8B mixer into a 48 track controller.... but again, many happy users work with the Behringer controllers with no problems. Great monitors are a joy, but if you are going to pro rooms for the final work, maybe what you've got will work just fine. If you hit a ram ceiling, buy more ram. If you hit a disc size ceiling, add aa disc... but why buy anything until you know that you need it? Don't be in a hurry to spend your money. That way, you'll have it for when you really do need something.
📝 Reply