Roland SRV 2000 & Golden Age Project Comp 54 for drums - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland SRV 2000 & Golden Age Project Comp 54 for drums
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Roland SRV 2000 & Golden Age Project Comp 54 for drums

Hi !

Does somebody have one of this two? I want to buy them for mixing drums. I've read that the SRV 2000 can be quite good for the drums but i cannot find any sound examples [drums not guitars] of this reverb on the internet. The comp sounds nice but maybe is there another good compresor for this price?
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Ok i've bought the comp. It's a nice piece of gear. But i still don't have any info about the SRV 2000. Anybody?
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
SRV2000 on drums would not be my favourite. I have impulse responses from the unit and it sounds great on guitars and synths (mono input btw), but I tried them on drums and no it doesn't do it for me.

In that price range, (around 200 dollar), try to get a Yamaha REV7/5 or Yamaha SPX unit. If you can find a nice Lexicon unit, then go with that
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I owned an SRV 2000 back in the day. I recall liking it quite a bit. Ok by now it`s a classic piece of gear and there may be many better units but in it`s time it did the duty on drums quite well.

Cdlt
Old 26th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by santibanks โžก๏ธ
SRV2000 on drums would not be my favourite. I have impulse responses from the unit and it sounds great on guitars and synths (mono input btw), but I tried them on drums and no it doesn't do it for me.

In that price range, (around 200 dollar), try to get a Yamaha REV7/5 or Yamaha SPX unit. If you can find a nice Lexicon unit, then go with that
Just got one, so far I'm loving it on drums.
Judging a reverb based on an impulse is like judging a place based on photographs. I've used reverbs that I absolutely love and the impulse of the same reverb has been ok, I recognise it. But it does not blend with the signal in the same way.
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Maybe it depends on style of music, but for EDM and especially for drums and percussion I prefer my SRV-2000 many times over my Lexicon 300.

It is my "go to reverb" for open and closed hi-hats, claps and percussion. Sometimes on hard electronic basses as well.

The secret of the SRV-2000 is it's hidden density parameter. It should be set to a higher amount. It's not easy to find in the common menue structure of the SRV-2000.

I use it usually with short ambience effects around 0.4 - 0.6 sec. with a predelay around 12-13 ms and I choose room algos with "room simulation" on.
The bass frequencies I reduce by its own eq parameters.

With such settings it sounds very smooth and not grainy (note: the grainy sound of some SRV-2000s comes from too low density values)....a little bit close to Eventide's 2016 and of course R-880.
You don't hear its reverb, but you feel it and although it is not true stereo it produces a strong 3D effect. Depending from the effect send you could place different drums and percussion sounds and other rhythmic tracks very easy in the mix and even if you set it to more "wet" you will not hear too much reverb - the instrument just walks behind the speakers.

Ok - the same I could do with my Lexicon 300 ambiences, but with the SRV-2000 it sounds much better and more subtile.

Forget the most impulses - many are taken from SRV-2000s with wrong density settings - heh I heard Xtreme Samples has nice ones - but I'm not sure.

For vocals and other melodic instruments I prefer more the Lex and Eventide sound....but for drums and percussion..I love the SRV-2000!!!!
the newer SRV-330 is also nice, but is not so smooth like the SRV-2000. The latest SRV-3030 is not really an alternative to 2000 and 330.

A nice alternative, if someone wants a high-end SRV-2000, is the R-880, that contains two processors of SRV-2000 which can be used together for true stereo effects.

Sudad G
๐Ÿ“ Reply