Quantcast
HS80M vs Equator D5 - which is better for bass? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HS80M vs Equator D5 - which is better for bass?
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
HS80M vs Equator D5 - which is better for bass?

ive been looking for an entry level studio monitor and an audio interface but haven't had any look due to constant changes of mind.

i've been reading that the D5's are very good for their price (although they are ending up double expensive in the UK at £350 compared to $ in the US.

I also read that the D5's are no good for bass and have a problem of a "farting" sound at low bass.

So was wondering which is the better one to get.

the HS80M's are £400 for a pair.

Any advice is appreciated.

My rooms is 6m long x 3m width x 2.5m high.

and both sides are slanted downwards, and i have my desk right in the corner next to the slanted roof.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman09 ➡️
ive been looking for an entry level studio monitor and an audio interface but haven't had any look due to constant changes of mind.

i've been reading that the D5's are very good for their price (although they are ending up double expensive in the UK at £350 compared to $ in the US.

I also read that the D5's are no good for bass and have a problem of a "farting" sound at low bass.

So was wondering which is the better one to get.

the HS80M's are £400 for a pair.

Any advice is appreciated.

My rooms is 6m long x 3m width x 2.5m high.

and both sides are slanted downwards, and i have my desk right in the corner next to the slanted roof.
I think you know which are better for bass!!
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Having not heard the D5's, the coaxial design is pretty appealing. The Yammies are going to be bass light by the very way they're made, but yes, they will have more simply due to woofer size.

Don't lose your mind over frequency response though, there are other things to consider, like your listening environment - in a great studio environment, where the room is tuned and you can sit right in the sweet spot all the time, it might make sense to get the Yammies, but seeing as how you're sitting in a corner right up against the wall, the back ports are going to ruin those frequencies that are already an issue with cheap monitors. Compounding the fact that there are ports at all with even MORE time domain issues.

The D5's a bro. It will work for sure. The Yammies are divas. Treat them right, and they'll put out.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Loving my D5s......they have ousted £500+ Focal CMS40s and a pair of Yamaha HS50s from my current setup.
I wish I'd had these as my "entry level" monitor rather than working my way through 7 or 8 other sets that I was never happy with....incl some with much bigger bass like Event 2020s

I also bought the Isoacoustics desktop stands and was pleasantly surprised how much improvement this made over my previous mopad and floor tile combo.

Bass farting certainly not an issue at the levels I monitor at......sitting just a couple feet away from them so they really don't need to be mega loud...this is I think how these work best.
The Yammies would probably work better a little further away and I'm sure would be capable of higher output so if you like pumping up the volume might be the better choice for you.

Your positioning in the room sounds like it could be problematic...do you really mean that your desk is in a corner??
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The large port on the D5 may cause "woofy" bass simple because ports can have a tendency to whistle.

Monitoring at a distance, as Stella said, can alleviate this. The ports on the HS80 are on the rear so you can be closer but, conversely, THEY should be much further from the walls. Ideally 2 feet of air should stop the wall loading the port but your milage may vary.

I've heard and liked HS80's and I own HS50's. I've never heard the D5's but the port strikes me as HUGE. Ports can be quite reactive and I'd just hope that it's not too resonant!
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Monitoring at a distance, as Stella said, can alleviate this.
That isn't what I said though.....I monitor with my D5s VERY close. The coaxial design is perfect for this.

And as you haven't even heard the D5s, maybe you should hold off on suggesting what they "may" sound like with their woofy bassed, whistling, HUGE reactive ported resonances
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The D5s are only about £25 more if you add customs and taxes. The hs80s do need space and they need to be at least 12" away from the wall plus they can be fatiguing at high volume so i wouldn't want to be sat too close when pushing the volume. I have them on stands about 5ft apart which is just the right distance and smaller 5" bookshelf speakers for nearfield mixing and monitoring (i use them with Arc) i wouldn't want to use the hs80s at close range unless it was at low volume although dipping the highs does help.

stella645 is the bass accurate on the D5s?
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➡️
That isn't what I said though.....I monitor with my D5s VERY close. The coaxial design is perfect for this.

And as you haven't even heard the D5s, maybe you should hold off on suggesting what they "may" sound like with their woofy bassed, whistling, HUGE reactive ported resonances
I never said there's whistles, but they can! Merely a suggestion to why some would complain about the bass, rather than a condemnation of their port design. Misuse of a product produces false results, nothing more.

I misread the other part, so sorry for that! But the point stands - distance helps with port issues. HS80's and 50's really don't sound the money till you give them some rear space! YMMV

As for the port looking huge? It is. But when you've a 5.5 inch driver and you wanna go down to 50hz you're not gonna pull that extra bass out of the sea!
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➡️
Loving my D5s......they have ousted £500+ Focal CMS40s and a pair of Yamaha HS50s from my current setup.
I wish I'd had these as my "entry level" monitor rather than working my way through 7 or 8 other sets that I was never happy with....incl some with much bigger bass like Event 2020s

I also bought the Isoacoustics desktop stands and was pleasantly surprised how much improvement this made over my previous mopad and floor tile combo.

Bass farting certainly not an issue at the levels I monitor at......sitting just a couple feet away from them so they really don't need to be mega loud...this is I think how these work best.
The Yammies would probably work better a little further away and I'm sure would be capable of higher output so if you like pumping up the volume might be the better choice for you.

Your positioning in the room sounds like it could be problematic...do you really mean that your desk is in a corner??
yeah. it's a loft room, and i've put my desk in the corner as there's less head height on the other sides. Basically in the room, the roof is slanting downwards towards me, so i'm very close to it!

do you think the d5's smaller size is better suited to my room?
what sort of distance should you set speakers from you when setting up?

i don't want mega loud speakers. i just need something good and accurate to mix on. ive been using audio technica headphones to mix on for about 2 years, and the stuff im making is not overly bass heavy, its just retro synthesizer music, eg faltermeyer,jan hammer style.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
so for my room size, would i be better off with a smaller monitor?

im kind of stuck in choosing the equator d5 or something like hs80m
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Equator is a better mixing monitor.
Old 6th February 2013
Reviews Editor

Bumping with a twist.

I'm considering having the D5s PLUS the HS80 which I already have. As I'm moving to a smaller room I'm affraid that the HS80 are not going to sound very nice when pushed loud, even with the nice treatment I'm putting in this room.

So my question is: do you guys think they can be complementary and work nicely together?

Cheers
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Couple of ways to improve the hs80s, do the limiter bypass and plug the ports. They do need space and good decoupling to sound optimal though.

Sent from my U20i
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine ➡️
Couple of ways to improve the hs80s, do the limiter bypass and plug the ports. They do need space and good decoupling to sound optimal though.

Sent from my U20i
Agreed 100%
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Reviews Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine ➡️

Sent from my U20i
I think by "plug the port" you mean block the rear port?

The limiter bypass would require some knowledge in electronics which is beyond my expertise...
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c ➡️
I think by "plug the port" you mean block the rear port?

The limiter bypass would require some knowledge in electronics which is beyond my expertise...
Yeah, I find the low end a bit uncontrolled and doing both has cleared up the midrange and tightened up the low end, a good improvement although my room isn't great. Instructions for the bypass have been posted, just search for hs80 limiter bypass it's not that hard. Fwiw i'm upgrading to some focals and they are a big step up from the hs80s, more detailed and revealing and I think it's the similar with the D5s but they are more clinical, anyway you can try them? The yams are good monitors but a more honest pair of nearfields would be a good setup; keep the hs80s for reference maybe. You'll have an easier time integrating smaller nearfields anyway and I don't think you can go wrong with the D5's for the price, they rub shoulders with monitors costing double according to reviews! Note I have no direct experience and would not recommend buying monitors without audition or option to return them. HTH.

Sent from my U20i
Old 11th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Check out the Prodipe Pro 6 or 8 on Thomann, they make some superb budget nearfields. They've just brought out some new co-axials (Equator have definitely brought them back into fashion) but I don't know anyone who's tried them, it'd be a big gamble.

The Behringer B3031A may work well for you - the midrange isn't quite as forward as the HS80m but they've got a nice smooth top end and solid bass extension.
The Samson Rubicon 6A are well worth a look too.
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I owned HS80Ms since they came out and sold them a two months ago. They translated really well for me in a fairly well treated room, however I mastered a few tracks for a friend on them and neither of us could tell the bass was totally distorted. They don't show up that stuff (it didn't present on his Alesis M1 MkIIs either). Going to the NS10Ms even with very little bass it was immediately apparent.

With that said, I would buy the HS80Ms again for a basic monitor, just because they translated so well for me. Just check for distortion in good quality cans.

Also, yes, the HS80Ms do indeed compress/limit the sound quite a lot especially at higher levels. There's a mod where you can cut one jumper to bypass it (or replace it with a switch) ... I'm not 100% sure whether the mod disables the limiter (potentially good) or disables the amp damping (potentially bad)... It's supposed to disable the limiter, sure, but I have questions about disabling something designed by an experienced company like Yamaha.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hs80 has a louder lows compare to the d5. But is better? No can u mix the lows better? No. Is it all about the lows? Hell no. The upper midrange and the highs on hs80 are total crap.
Farting lows in d5... If that happens, that means u r doing something wrong in your mix with the lows. Probably not enough lowcut, or too much on the lower mid?? I mix bass heavy stuff.. 808 or even heavier kicks with long tails in lows... I never have problems with the lows in d5 and i mix at no low volume
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal ➡️
Farting lows in d5... If that happens, that means u r doing something wrong in your mix with the lows. Probably not enough lowcut, or too much on the lower mid?? I mix bass heavy stuff.. 808 or even heavier kicks with long tails in lows... I never have problems with the lows in d5 and i mix at no low volume
I'd say that makes you luckier than I and some others...like has been mentioned elsewhere, variations in character seem not uncommon in the D5. I cut all my kicks and bass @ 40hz, and still get frapulence. More from one unit than the other, I might add. Commercial releases elicit the same result so its not my mix settings
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Biscuit ➡️
The Samson Rubicon 6A are well worth a look too.
The Rubicon line is excellent, but they are not more produced (don´t know why Samson did it?)

Ciro
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal ➡️
Hs80 has a louder lows compare to the d5. But is better? No can u mix the lows better? No. Is it all about the lows? Hell no. The upper midrange and the highs on hs80 are total crap.
I don't know the D5s but i agree on the HS80s
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
HS80s are great with a sub and Arc strapped across the master buss! But that would be a lot more than a pair of D5s.
📝 Reply