Quantcast
MXL V69 Mod and Revelations - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MXL V69 Mod and Revelations
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
MXL V69 Mod and Revelations

Here is a link to a recent V69 Mod I've been working on. I started out quite organized and while it doesn't completely turn into a train wreck, Im not yet 100% satisfied with the end result, so I guess somewhat of a work in progress.

Its far enough along to be useful however. Input on errors I may have made or suggestions always welcomed.

This is my new more permanent site for this kind of stuff, I have also moved the Apex 460 to C12 page to this site and the old one will redirect soon.

V69 Mod | Mark-O-Matic

Enjoy,

Mark
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Update 1

Update - replaced an electrolytic coupling cap with a film cap. I didn't think I could fit one in but the value MXL was using was very much oversized.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Update 2

Update 2- swapped the FET and replaced the output CAP with film.

Lots of hits on the site - but all I can hear are crickets in this thread. So either not as many people as I thought are actually using/interested in a V69, or maybe some folks might be upset that those expensive tubes in theirs are maybe doing less than they had perceived. Just remember if you like the mic it doesn't matter what me or anyone else says.

In any case it was a nice exercise for me, and hopefully will be useful to some. It was WAY more work than I had anticipated to get it where i was starting to be pleased with the results though. I'll have to come up with something else for the other stock one I have left.
Old 28th October 2012
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hi dear
Your mic is Mogami Edition?

I was waiting for this mod a long time.

Regard,
Old 30th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PereGrinoz ➑️
Hi dear
Your mic is Mogami Edition?

I was waiting for this mod a long time.

Regard,
Yes. Both V69s I have are Mogami.

Also, Ive got a drum tracking session in a couple of weeks im hoping to compare the final V69 mod against the modded Apex again as a room mic.
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Mark,

Nice job on the mod!!

I always change out all of the small red/brown capacitors on these mics. The quality is suspect and I have seen a high failure rate in these components.

Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Nothing, nice work so far!

I'm wondering have you measured the input impedance of the FET stage? Tube stages are meant to undergo a degree of loading. Try building a fet gainstage with an input impedance of around 100k or maybe as low as 10k and see if you get any differences. Their stage looks a little overcomplicated for 20dB of gain.
Old 2nd November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingTheory ➑️
Yes. Both V69s I have are Mogami.

Also, Ive got a drum tracking session in a couple of weeks im hoping to compare the final V69 mod against the modded Apex again as a room mic.
so, I think i have other version of V69ME, my version has a large PCB
check out the pics.

I dunnu where to start the mod.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
MXL V69 Mod and Revelations-sdc13733-1024x768-.jpg   MXL V69 Mod and Revelations-sdc13732-1024x768-.jpg   MXL V69 Mod and Revelations-sdc13729-1024x768-.jpg   MXL V69 Mod and Revelations-sdc13730-1024x768-.jpg   MXL V69 Mod and Revelations-sdc13731.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
QQ

@JimJ Thanks for the comment and quite frankly the validation. That mic ended up being a lot more work than I thought when I set out. it is growing on me though and has a somewhat unique sound-field compared to my other mics.. I havent used it ( in production ) much yet, but I think its a keeper.

@Jazz I haven't doen a lot more analysis yet. I did get my hands on some J305's I want to compare at some point to the J309
s I used and that would require more circuit analysis due to the differences between those. . The overal mod if you go from beginning to end gets a bit complicated and I was trying to keep it simple for the average modder. I totally agree - the setup is overly complicated for the gain and I've considered just scrapping the circuit and building my own. I may actually do that someday.
Old 2nd November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PereGrinoz ➑️
so, I think i have other version of V69ME, my version has a large PCB
check out the pics.

I dunnu where to start the mod.

Regards.
Pere,

My second V69 is untouched .. if you want to pay for shipping I'll swap you mics. You have the older version, I wouldn't mind checking that out. PM me if your interested.
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingTheory ➑️
Here is a link to a recent V69 Mod I've been working on. I started out quite organized and while it doesn't completely turn into a train wreck, Im not yet 100% satisfied with the end result, so I guess somewhat of a work in progress.

Its far enough along to be useful however. Input on errors I may have made or suggestions always welcomed.

This is my new more permanent site for this kind of stuff, I have also moved the Apex 460 to C12 page to this site and the old one will redirect soon.

V69 Mod | Mark-O-Matic

Enjoy,

Mark
Checked out your site...Nice work Mark!

I started doing mod on my V69ME, I changed the head basket for a different flavor and will start into the electronic side soon....
Attached Thumbnails
MXL V69 Mod and Revelations-v69.jpg  
Old 31st December 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the insight and awesome write up, Mark. I was just searching the net for this very type of data. Really I was just looking for schematics, but this is super insightful. I have 2 MXL v69s. I've always liked them as stock. One has developed an issue that I suspect is simply a dying cap. So I figured, once I have that issue is resolved, it would be fun to tinker with mods.

I've tried using these as a spaced overhead pair on drums but found that they lacked the in the high end. I may have disliked other aspects of them as well for overs but it's been years since I've even tried them for overs. I think one simple mod that might be worth doing would be removing that cap across the output on the PSU. Better yet make it switchable!

Anyhow... first I need to repair mine.
Old 13th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
" @Jazz I haven't doen a lot more analysis yet. I did get my hands on some J305's I want to compare at some point to the J309
s I used and that would require more circuit analysis due to the differences between those. . The overal mod if you go from beginning to end gets a bit complicated and I was trying to keep it simple for the average modder. I totally agree - the setup is overly complicated for the gain and I've considered just scrapping the circuit and building my own. I may actually do that someday. "

Did you try the j305 mod in the meantime? I got 2 of them and all the other parts for your mod and was wondering what needs to be changed in the circuit to get it to work.
I should add, that I am new to modding and diy and only have a rudimentary understanding of electronics.

thank you for your great documentation of the mod so far!

regards, Kvothe
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvothe ➑️
"

Did you try the j305 mod in the meantime? I got 2 of them and all the other parts for your mod and was wondering what needs to be changed in the circuit to get it to work.
I should add, that I am new to modding and diy and only have a rudimentary understanding of electronics.

thank you for your great documentation of the mod so far!

regards, Kvothe
I have not had the time to look at the J305 comparison yet. Im working on something new, actually its now two things, and it has kind of snowballed a bit, but Im hoping to make some new posts on it sometime in March. Once that is out of the way I can get back to some of the smaller projects on my list.

in the meantime I am hoping to put up a few new clips on the V69 page before the new stuff goes up. I recently acquired an 8-ch RME converter and I am suddenly hearing things from my gear I've never heard before. There are a lot of threads on "should I upgrade my mics first or my pre's first" and I think the majority go with mics first - but having been a participant on both sides of that method over and over again, I am now suddenly thinking that if I had only upgraded my converters first - how would that have affected all those other decisions I made along the way, and the money spent.
πŸ“ Reply