Quantcast
Phase - right and wrong - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Phase - right and wrong
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Phase - right and wrong

I'm working on as project at the moment where on the chorus the singer did a second vocal take. What I then did is Duplicated the track, put one left and one right to get a nice wide sound. Didn't really work, now I know I can get the effect i'm looking for with delay, reverb and EQ. SO, I tried reversing the phase on one of the backing vocals.
Is this a big no no or will I get away with it?
Old 16th June 2006
Deleted User
Throw your mix in mono. Does it still sound good? If yes, then you're fine.

Flip the polarity back and forth in stereo and mono... Do they sound any different? If yes, pick the better sounding one.

Is this only on 1 background vocal, isolated while tracking? If so, then you'll probably hear absolutly no difference.

If you're multing the vocal, panning left/right, and reversing the polarity on one side, then you'll totally lose that vocal. But it will sound kinda cool and fake surroundy while in stereo.

By the way... it's polarity, not phase. Big difference. (about 360 degrees or more...)
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…