Noob question about Mytek AD/DA - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noob question about Mytek AD/DA
Old 13th June 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Noob question about Mytek AD/DA

Hello I'm a noob.

What's the best way to connect a Mytek Stereo96 ADC and DAC to my laptop? Seems that all the firewire cards come with preamps, converters, etc... Is there something like a Lynx AES16 but firewire? Thanks.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrupert
Hello I'm a noob.

What's the best way to connect a Mytek Stereo96 ADC and DAC to my laptop? Seems that all the firewire cards come with preamps, converters, etc... Is there something like a Lynx AES16 but firewire? Thanks.
Any kind of Firewire audio interface that has an S/PDIF or an AES digital input and output. MOTU has several. So do serveral other companies.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello I'm a noob.

Do you already have the converters? Also, which laptop do you have? Thanks.
Old 13th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
the best way to get a low latency and stable solution is to get a card bus system from RME

you need PCM/CIA slot in your laptop

narco
jdg
Lives for gear

24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
rme digiface with the cardbus
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
cheap firewire dongle

If you're on a machine that won't take cardbus (like an iBook), you could buy a cheap firewire interface, like the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile, and use the spdif ins/outs for the Mytek converters.

Then, you have two in/out of excellent conversion running over firewire.

The unit currently streets for around $150. I used to have one, and the drivers/software is solid.

- Jim
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus
Do you already have the converters? Also, which laptop do you have? Thanks.
I don't have the converters yet, still trying to decide on what to get. I have an Acer Aspire laptop and only need two channels. WindowsXP.

Digiface w/cardbus is as much as the Mytek AD converters themselves. To me (noob) that doesn't seem like the best use of my $$$. Especially when a firewire card for the Rosetta is only $350

I was also considering the Apogee Mini-me/DAC cause it at least has USB and the mic pres would be a bonus. I read somewhere there were plans to release a firewire verison but I guess with the Ensemble coming out it doesn't make much sense anymore. I'd jump on the Ensemble but everything I have is Windows.

The M-Audio Firewire Audiophile is priced right at least. M-Audio stuff makes me a little nervous though.

Thanks everyone.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello I'm a noob.

Another option:

If you have new powerbook which has 24/96 optical DIO you can plug the new Mytek Stereo96adc and dac (which now also have optical) staight into computer, no card required for stereo up to 96k operation.

Michal www.mytekdigital.com
Old 14th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Digiface w/cardbus is as much as the Mytek AD converters themselves. To me (noob) that doesn't seem like the best use of my $$$. Especially when a firewire card for the Rosetta is only $350.

the digiface cardbus systems can be found quite cheaply, about $300(or less) used here quite often. In my experience firewire has too many issues, needing to reset it, getting it to recognize devices, high latency etc..

If you get the multiface instead of the digiface you'll have a heap more good qulaity analog i/o's too.

there are some cardbus options listed here http://www.audiomidi.com/master.cfm?cid=325 but RME would be the best

you do realise how much the myteks cost don't you? if you are going for that quality personally I would try to do the whole thing properly.

narco
Old 14th June 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for everyones help.

I'll keep a eye out for a used digiface/multiface.
πŸ“ Reply