The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar Amp Recommendations
Old 24th June 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Guitar Amp Recommendations

So I'm looking for a small affordable valve amp for home use.

I don't need anything too massive as I'll mainly be using it as a practice amp, but also recording from time to time so it would be nice to have something that could pack a punch when required.

Any ideas in this area, I'm happy to go second hand if you know of any amp models that go for a good second hand price.

Cheers.
Old 24th June 2012
col
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Oops, nvm, you wanted tube.

Tube:

Laney Lionheart 20W head or 5W combo.

Jet City JCA20H

SS:

The Yamaha THR10 seems to be getting pretty rave reviews (it's solid state digital).

Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fender greta may work. 2 watts, internal speaker sounds Ok, but the amp can drive up to a 4x12 and sound delicious.

Or just get a used Fender Champ. Hand wired, 8 watts, sounds great.
Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vox AC4 is stellar and takes pedals really well. I've done spanky cleans to metal leads with it and just keep coming back for more.

Fender Champs or the already mentioned Greta are great too
Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I picked up a reverend Goblin and a THD UniValve for that task. The Goblin comes with an instruction sheet of how to set the front panel controls to emulate many vintage and popular amp types. The UniValve is capable of sounding like anything, depending upon the tubes you buy for it. Myles Rose helped me to pick the tubes to get exactly 'my' sound. Pretty cool. For a bit less money I had a lot of luck with the Brian May Model Vox amp, after I learned to back the controls way down.... it is an over the top amp if you don't. Not tube, but that didn't seem to matter.
Old 24th June 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Nice. Lots to think about here chaps, thanks.
Old 25th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fender Pro Jr.
Old 25th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I love those Vox Lil Nightrains, they sound like an old Marshall Plexi! I wouldn't mind picking one up myself at some stage and maybe running a GT2 through it for heavier tones.
Old 25th June 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
+1 on the Vox AC4 - maybe it's just me but I hate amps with too many knobs and controls. Just gives you an input and output volume plus one tone knob. They sound really pretty, I even know a guy who uses his live so he doesn't have to truck his AC30 around.
Old 25th June 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Just picked up a Fender Excelsior amp and I have to say that it is a nice amp. It is not a small footprint- it has a 15 inch speaker and puts out around 12 watts.

Breaks up nice and it is very responsive to roll offs on your guitar volume.
Put a pedal in front of it for some grind..

about 299.00 bucks..
Old 25th June 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I am really liking my little Marshall Class 5. Sounds great. Might be a little louder than what you are after, but it is my favorite amp in that class.
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Orange Tiny Terror. Fender Princeton Reverb. An old Silvertone. An old Supro.

All are small. All are awesome.
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just get a 4x12 recto OS and a 6505 bang!
Old 26th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla ➑️
... An old Silvertone. An old Supro.

All are small. All are awesome.

I know from old amps:

They all sound cool, after being recapped, brought back to spec and then being retubed. But I sold almost all of the amps you see in these pictures after buying the Goblin and THD, they blew them all away. I'm sure that the more high end boutique amps sound even better than the low end boutique choices that I made.
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Fender Pro Jr, Blues Jr, or Champ. And pick up some NOS tubes and you'll have a killer amp.

If you have more money (though not much more) you can buy a kit, unassembled or prebuilt, of handwired replicas of the old fender blackface amps.

Alot of people sell their own builds as well, so it might pay to shop around. Handwired amps never go out of style...especially ones made to vintage fender specs.
Old 28th June 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years

This National is a 1963. It sounds mean. Class 5 is great for the money, and I have an old 50's Webster Chicago 166 that sounds fantastic too, a bit dark. All great recording amps. Messing with Vox AC4 at store...seems to be a winner as well.
Old 28th June 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Old Supro allll the way!
Old 28th June 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I use a Peavey Classic 20 and a Fender Champion 600. Get lots of cool sounds from both.
Old 28th June 2012
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Swart Atomic Space Tone. Recorded one last week. OMFG!
I am buying one.
Old 28th June 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Zappa and now I sometimes use a small Pignose.... shrug
Old 28th June 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Agreed with above poster on Supro's!
Old 28th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveofjazz ➑️
I use a Peavey Classic 20 and a Fender Champion 600. Get lots of cool sounds from both.
Do you use them simultaneously?
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

If you want tube for the tone and feel when you play, the Valvetronix Vox amps are quite good. They use a 12ax7 (and I think an output transformer) to get it to play like a full-tube-job.

If you want a tube amp for the extra heat it puts into the room, these would require adding a 250W space heater....

-tINY

Old 29th June 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Crazy amount of excellent low wattage tube amp choices now days.

Not knowing your budget makes it tougher to recommend, but on the budget end, I'd recommend the Fender Jnr series (pro or blues)

For the mid level, I'm really enjoying the mesa transatlantic. switchable wattage from 5 - 15 - 25 watts and a great all tube solution to get fender, marshall, vox and mesa type tones. A great vintage vibey amp.

another approach if you're daring - pick up a used Epiphone Valve Junior and modify it. I turned one into a Marshall Plexi 18 watt. A bit too loud for your application, but it sounds plenty meaty

here's a pic. The amp name is a play on my last name

Last edited by stevecuss; 29th June 2012 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: trying to get pic to show
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Small Blackstar are nice too
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
My personal favorite amp for around $200 used is the Bugera V22. A great little amp! Amazing cleans and usable distortion on the drive channel. Even the reverb on it (digital) ain't bad, if you don't max it out. I was also impressed with the stock speaker. Seriously, I tried it in a few different amps, and it's bested only by my vintage Jensen's. Take that, Celestion! (actually it's pretty similar, though not identical to a vintage 30)

The amp has excellent clean tones and pretty nice distortion on it's gain channel. Certainly usable, though it won't get you into metal or hard rock territory without some pedals. Lot's of nice midrange, is plenty loud enough to play with a band in a small room and records well. Tons of sparkle and chime! It also takes pedals extremely well!

Go to "the gear page dot net" and read all the reviews. Don't let the Bugera name fool you, it's got tone that many modern mass-produced amps can't touch for less than a grand (I'm looking at you Fender and Marshall). And even then, it's on a case by case basis.

It won't replace any of my vintage hand-wired beauties, but it plays nicely along with them. Kinda like a little kid brother of a Deluxe Reverb and a Vox AC15.
Old 30th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss ➑️

For the mid level, I'm really enjoying the mesa transatlantic. switchable wattage from 5 - 15 - 25 watts and a great all tube solution to get fender, marshall, vox and mesa type tones. A great vintage vibey amp.

I lost mine in a fire last October and it was on the "must replace" list. Got lucky and found a clean used one locally. Very versatile amp for the studio.
Old 1st July 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
A quick description of the kind of tones the OP likes might help. Are we talking face melting triple rec territory or SRV fender tones, or jangly vox style cleans???

Anyhoo, to my ears that jet city stuff sounds pretty good for rock sounds.

Even the 20 watt one will get super loud.

Otherwise an AC-15 is always a good choice, and is pretty pedal friendly. Marshall class 5 gets a lot of love, or a fender champ.
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OPs stated objectives are home practice and home recording.

To get any kind of tone at all out of a guitar amp, especially a tube one, in a home environment, you won't need any more than 5watts at the absolute maximum.

The 1 watt Blackstar and Blackheart offerings come to mind.
These are LOUD in a bedroom/living room environment but get good tone.

I have a H&K Statesman 15 watt and a fender tweed Wide panel deluxe 11 watt neither of which would be much use for home use.
Well not until I win the lotto and buy that chateau....
πŸ“ Reply