Røde NT2000 - a great mic?
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Røde NT2000 - a great mic?

Maximum SPL: 147 dB
Self-Noise: 7dBA
Price: 444 euro

It looks good on paper. Is it good in practise as well? Any mic that easily beats it based on your experience?
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I know a shop here who sells it for 399

http://www.feedback.nl/?id=55&b=101741

For the price it is a good mic with nice features. I don't have this model, but another rode and i am pleased with the sound. In my opinion it is a pretty good transperant all purpose mic. Works great on vox, guitars and piano. O, and it kills on toms!
Old 8th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dont read to much into specs they wont tell you how a mic sounds, although it is nice when a mic is quiet.
but about the NT200, it uses the same capsule as the K2 and the NT2A which are both good mics aswell.
like any mics its going to be good on some sources and not good on others. its not going to be the next U87 but it will be a good mic.

look at the K2 aswell and remember it will get better when you put a better tube in it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
High End?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
High End?
yes i agree this should of been posted in 'to much gear to little time'
but then rode mics have beater out high end mics on many sources for many albums so who is to say what is high end and what isnt.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
High End?
Yeah. I'm not in a position where I ever post threads in the High End section. I post sometimes, but never start threads -- simply based on my gearlist, budget, and list of accomplishments I always feel it's more corteous to keep my posts in Low End or So Much....

but maybe that's just me. Keep in mind, if this thread lasts a moderator will move it. And you'll get more useable responses if you put your question in the right place, too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha
but maybe that's just me.
i wont start a thread in hing end and usualy reserve my comments if something is posted in high end, but its nice to drool at all that high end gear.

were not worthy, were not worthy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I haven't heard this mic so I cannot comment on it, but based on what I've read you are all wrong. High end = expensive?, then no, but High end = great quality?, then yes. According to what I've read this mic beats the Audio Technica 4050 which IS used in professional context A LOT! I don't want to argue but professionals seem to love it...!

Based on your "knowledge", I didn't get any further information about its quality. Guess you don't know...
Old 9th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK - based on my knowledge ...

I wanted a spare multi pattern mic about a year ago, and on paper the Rode NT2A looked good. I was impressed with the low noise figure, and on paper it seemed very similar to the NT2000 so I ordered one. (I have an NTK, and numerous non-Rode mics).

The NT2A that arrived was very faulty, so I asked for a replacement. My Rode dealer was very cool, and he sent me both a NT2000 and a NT2A to try. I'm glad he did, because the NT2000 is completely different from the NT2A.

The good NT2A works and is quiet. But I find it to be a very harsh sounding mic - I don't understand anyone getting excited about an NT2A, unless they had no other mic to compare against (which would frequently be the case). Nasty.

But the NT2000 is very, very different. Silky even. I actually kept both, because sometimes a nasty mic is handy, and it is cheap and very low noise.

I haven't compared it side by side with the AT stuff - I must do that sometime, because I have a lot of respect for AT stuff. But the NT2000 would be an excellent first mic for anyone (after an SM57 of course).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a stereo pair of these mics and I find them to be very versatile and an extraordinary value. Not great on everything but in reality no mic really is. As long as you approach these mics with an open mind and open ears I don't think you will be dissapointed.
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In the realm of the cheaoer mics, it's one of the better ones. We have a few they use for voice over in the post rooms here. I chucked a pair up on my hammond and they sounded ok. They did go through some very nice pres though.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Cool the better Mic is....

hi .. i see that you are one of those rode fans.. so am I ..
all I can tell you .. if you want a better mic that is all purpose ..

get the AKG C414-XLS .. its basically a flat mic that can take any task you through at it .. however you will need to tweek the sound afterwards to your liking..

the NT2000 is a bright mic .. if you can get the Rode NT1-A .. you will find that both have a common tonal character.. the RODE bright tonal signature.. which is loved by lots of people..

I have to admit .. I didn't A/B both Rode mics... I have the AKG and its Dynamite!..

however.. after all that blabla ...its a matter of taste....
Old 12th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by activexjava
hi .. i see that you are one of those rode fans.. so am I ..
all I can tell you .. if you want a better mic that is all purpose ..

get the AKG C414-XLS .. its basically a flat mic that can take any task you through at it .. however you will need to tweek the sound afterwards to your liking..

the NT2000 is a bright mic .. if you can get the Rode NT1-A .. you will find that both have a common tonal character.. the RODE bright tonal signature.. which is loved by lots of people..

I have to admit .. I didn't A/B both Rode mics... I have the AKG and its Dynamite!..

however.. after all that blabla ...its a matter of taste....
Thanks all for the replies! activexjava, you recommended the AKG C414-XLS. The C 414 B-XLS is transformerless, whereas all of its predecessors had transformer-coupled output electronics. AKG says the transformerless output gives the mic a wider dynamic range and a fuller low-end response. In addition, the C 414 B-XLS offers innovative “smart switching” once it receives phantom power. Do you know if this is the case with the C 414 B-XLS without the B in the model title?

I think I might buy the Rode NT2000. The price is really attractive and it seems to be useful for some things. The fact that it is on the brighter side I think will suite my needs just fine plus some of you seem to like it pretty much. I want a mic that is not very harsh and this mic should not be very harsh. Besides, this mic is so cheap that I can afford to replace it in the future if I don't find it useful enough. On the other hand, if it sounds great I might buy several...!
Old 24th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm ➡️
Thanks all for the replies! activexjava, you recommended the AKG C414-XLS. The C 414 B-XLS is transformerless, whereas all of its predecessors had transformer-coupled output electronics. AKG says the transformerless output gives the mic a wider dynamic range and a fuller low-end response. In addition, the C 414 B-XLS offers innovative “smart switching” once it receives phantom power. Do you know if this is the case with the C 414 B-XLS without the B in the model title?

I think I might buy the Rode NT2000. The price is really attractive and it seems to be useful for some things. The fact that it is on the brighter side I think will suite my needs just fine plus some of you seem to like it pretty much. I want a mic that is not very harsh and this mic should not be very harsh. Besides, this mic is so cheap that I can afford to replace it in the future if I don't find it useful enough. On the other hand, if it sounds great I might buy several...!
Hi,
excuse my reviving an old thread, but am interested in these mics.

What was your verdict, - did you end up buying several or did you sell it on?

cheers,
steve
Old 29th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hywyn ➡️
Hi,
excuse my reviving an old thread, but am interested in these mics.

What was your verdict, - did you end up buying several or did you sell it on?

cheers,
steve
Well I can tell you what I think ...

I tried both the Rode NT2000, NT2A and the K2 today ... forget the K2, I found it very thin and brittle in the mids and top register, brash might be the word. The NT2000 and the NT2A were both quite close in my view but I gave the win to the NT2000 which I found superb on my voice from the belting I gave them all.

The NT2000 had a nice smooth character to it, there was a little colour there but only enough to flatter rather than detract ... overall I think a superb vocal mic for the money and better than most at that price point. I have tried the Neumann TLM102 and 103 and I think the Rode NT2000 is on par with the TLM 103 for sure.

A great mic which I plan on buying having tried it today ...

TR.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've owned an NT2000 for about 5-6 years and really like it

1 thing i've found is that the variable pattern selector really changes the eq curve of the mic, this can come in really handy especially when recording vocals.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikirocker ➡️
Well I can tell you what I think ...

I tried both the Rode NT2000, NT2A and the K2 today ... forget the K2, I found it very thin and brittle in the mids and top register, brash might be the word. The NT2000 and the NT2A were both quite close in my view but I gave the win to the NT2000 which I found superb on my voice from the belting I gave them all.

The NT2000 had a nice smooth character to it, there was a little colour there but only enough to flatter rather than detract ... overall I think a superb vocal mic for the money and better than most at that price point. I have tried the Neumann TLM102 and 103 and I think the Rode NT2000 is on par with the TLM 103 for sure.

A great mic which I plan on buying having tried it today ...

TR.
Thanks very much for the feedback,..I have bought a matched pair, second-hand but in really good, hardly used state. Haven't used them in anger yet but they sound sweet.
Cheers,
Steve
Old 18th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
YouTube - Undercover Martyn - Two Door Cinema Club Cover

These guys used a rode nt2000 and a sm57 to do everything. Both gone through a edirol ua25ex... pretty simple set up but it sounds effective
Old 7th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
High End?
Yes, NT2000 is a high end mic.
Attached Thumbnails
Røde NT2000 - a great mic?-case-closed.jpg  
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This forum is for gear that is "High End". Not for mics that have too much "High End". How did this thread end up in this forum with a low budget LDC? Just curious.
Old 8th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppingpoong ➡️
YouTube - Undercover Martyn - Two Door Cinema Club Cover

These guys used a rode nt2000 and a sm57 to do everything. Both gone through a edirol ua25ex... pretty simple set up but it sounds effective
Not sure I would be holding that up as a great sounding example. .....
Old 17th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx ➡️
This forum is for gear that is "High End". Not for mics that have too much "High End". How did this thread end up in this forum with a low budget LDC? Just curious.
NT2000 have variable lpf, so hi end can be eliminated. It's also one of the quietest mics. Shouldn't a mic be considered high-end if it gets the job done practically, elegantly and quietly. For some it will always be the price tag.
Old 18th October 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
RODE never mastered the LDC

NT1A is "great" for what it is, everything else they make in LDC sucks (to me)

Primo shotgun mics.........their studio mics however STINK
Old 18th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlotinusVeritas ➡️
Primo shotgun mics.........their studio mics however STINK
I work in broadcast tv and use Schoeps shotgun mics. I do see a lot of mic rigs on OB location and RODE Studio mics pop up all the time. I'll tell Sound Supervisor his mistake. GS saves the day again
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hywyn ➡️
I work in broadcast tv and use Schoeps shotgun mics.

proving WHAT exactly?

99% of everyone else is using Sennheiser and Rode.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlotinusVeritas ➡️
proving WHAT exactly?

99% of everyone else is using Sennheiser and Rode.
Proving I couldn't possibly comment on your assertion about Rode shotgun mics. Yes, I see a lot of them about, - self shooters mainly. I also use Sennheiser shotguns for their RF design and immunity to dampness.
📝 Reply