suggestion for 2 or 4 channel mic pre on battery power - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
suggestion for 2 or 4 channel mic pre on battery power
Old 30th May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
suggestion for 2 or 4 channel mic pre on battery power

Hi,

I am looking for four channels of mic pres to round out my 16-channel portable setup. I only need analog preamps with line out, no digital gear. My goal is to be able to run the whole system, computer, cards, and audio, from battery power. Right now I have:

Powerbook G4 1.67
MOTU Traveler
RME Octamic-D

I would like to have 2 or 4 more pres that sound, if not excellent, then at least unique. Any suggestions people?
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FWIW,

The Neve (RND) 5012 can run on 12v, and it's a pretty fair sounding pre: not really cheap, but different sounding than garden variety bland ones....

There aren't alot of choices for battery op mic pre's - voltage is too low to have the spendy units which require more voltage than batteries can provide.

The other thing to consider is build quality - if they're going to be exposed to the rigours of the road/outdoors, I'd think about Sound Devices pre's, or similar: they are tough, and made for abuse.

PS: they don't have much character, but they sound pretty good.

regards,
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Look at bus powered audio interfaces with mic-pres and line outs (or at least an external clock input).

Or, you can get a sealed lead-acid battery and an inverter.....

-tINY

Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Check "Sound Devices" , they should be good , many prof. location recordists for film/TV use theirs. I`ve been on location many times with film gear and always got better results than with medium quality music stuff. ( OK -I`m a former film sound recordist or production sound mixer for you in the States )
Matti
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just sold 4 Benchmark MP-3 preamps. I kept the other four. I'm not sure if they're still available but you can run them with two 9v batteries or any bipolar power supply. They're compact and sound great but you'll need to do a little soldering.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
have you looked at the Apogee Mini-Me?

Cooper Sound location mixers have nice, neutral pre's, but I agree the Neve Portico is a killer preamp that will run on 12V!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
How portable should your rig be? If you are recording to a laptop for example
you bound to sit down and have some extra power sourche for all your
eqptm. not forgetting you`ll have to power you mic`s with plenty of phantom current. It`s usual for location film recordists to have a cart with heavy duty
batteries and converters for gear that don`t run 12v. although most
of theirs will. Highend mixer could be a Sonosax SX.
Portico x 4 sounds so sweet.
Anyways you should consider purhcasing some kind of heavyish battery system to have enough current for all your stuff for them to perform optimally.
Matti
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a SQN 4S Series III 4X2 location mixer that has pres that rival GMLs.... Similar to the Sonosax mixers but even a bit better. The bad news is they go for about $5 grand new. I've seen them for $2500 to $3000 used though.....
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
battery / inverter

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. How about a battery pack and inverter? Now we are beyond the pale concerning my know-how.

I would like this to be portable enough to carry over some distance (we are talking remote here) but all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers
πŸ“ Reply