Which Pre for my Situation... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which Pre for my Situation...
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Which Pre for my Situation...

Hey guys,
I'm looking to get into a pre for primarily guitar and a bit of vocals here and there. It'd be nice if it worked for some vocalists, but I'm mainly looking to get a great, reliable guitar sound together with this piece, I can always pick up another pre for vox.

I've been reading around here and there and I tried to search a bit for this and didn't find anything that jumped out at me. I'm thinking Chandler, Vintech, Great River, or maybe some other suggestions you guys might have.

For style, it's mostly rock/hard rock, and mainly going to record one of my Marshalls, Splawn QuickRod, and I'll probably be picking up some other stuff for variety out of a Mesa Mark III/IV, Budda SuperDrive, haven't decided if I was going to get into the Bogner territory or not...

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sorry if this is something covered ad nausem and I missed it.
Old 22nd May 2006
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
I'd add Daking pre/EQ to the must-check list
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
I'd add Daking pre/EQ to the must-check list

Cool deal, any good reviews on guitars? I'm guessing so since the suggestion, I'm liking the price too compared to some of the others... Wanna venture any differences? If not, that's cool.
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
They're very nice on guitars IMO (many ppl will agree, maybe do a search, you'll sure find some comments). Plus you get a killer EQ with it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IMHO, get a four to six space lunchbox and an API 312C mic pre. By the time you are done, you may spend about 800 to 1000 but in my opinion, nothing sounds better than that a 312 on electric guitar. Plus with the 4 space lunchbox, you can add other pre's or swap them out with other EQs & Comps later on as you need to grow. Plus the API pre's sound so good on other stuff, there really isn't anything they don't excel at!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Get something simple and neutral like an onyx 400 or a pair of Rane MS 1b's.

Make sure to get at least two channels.

Make sure to get a few mics: 409 421 57 HM1 C3000 etc

-tINY

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
7th circle diy kit... grows with you.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio
7th circle diy kit... grows with you.
Just checking, it seems like the 7th Circle stuff is a 1272 module, not a 1073, right? Just curious, I remember using a 1272 for a previous project and I'd like to try something more along the lines of the 1073.

Thanks for the post, I do appreciate it though man, not hating, just making sure I understand what it is.
πŸ“ Reply