Quantcast
Another What would you? Vintech 1ch. or api a2d 2ch. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another What would you? Vintech 1ch. or api a2d 2ch.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Another What would you? Vintech 1ch. or api a2d 2ch.

I have a 002 I am currently using a vintech x73i......into a distressor on my front end. I am considering selling the vintech and getting an api a2d with the converter, to better my converter and have to channels of a great pre........ I really like the vintech, I think api is alright for a clean (no color) kinda sound, but I was thinking of using plugins instead of the eq on the vintech..... Any opinions...... I only ask because some of you really have great opinions.

Last edited by Harsh; 22nd May 2006 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If the choice is:

hardware EQ and 002 conversion

vs

plugin EQ and API conversion

I'd probably choose the API even though I haven't heard it. It's gotta be a little better at least.

If the choice was one good preamp/eq

vs

two good preamps and plugin EQ

I'd go for the two good preamps.

It all starts with the source.

BTW, API isn't what I'd consider a 'no color' preamp. FWIW
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
API because of a few reasons....

API holds its value
API is not a clone
API is NOT clean sounding
API has converters
API has 2 channels

Vintech has eq but do you really need to eq to tape?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
very good, I am thinking along the same lines..... I have a history of making quick rash "expensive" decisions so I always ask first now....... I will rent one and check it out tomorrow..... The eq on the vintech is amazing, is there any plug ins that can emulate close to what the analog "nevish" eq can do.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
pultec eq is good... but there are so many plugs now they are all good!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I really want a plug eq that has that smooth neve color to it..... I like what the pre does to guitars and vox, it's a smoothing effect.... I don't really know what I'm hearing with api, it seems punchy I guess but maybe that's just what I hear others saying..... so if I could come in clean and add that "britt" sound w/ a plug in I would be totally sold on the api>>> BTW anyone have any opinions on the quality of the converters...... big improvement over the 002.....? Also theres no clock with the api, will this really matter that much anyhow?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think I heard it has a clock and no matter what the converters are a hugh step up! Like I said the Pultec eq is pretty amazing to me, UAD has never plugs as do others... you can always get a speck eq or something. I had a x73i and opened it up and was very dissapointed, not impressed anymore... for eq's get a Chamelon Labs pre. Sounds as good if not better than the vintech and adds 3 band eq.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsh
I really want a plug eq that has that smooth neve color to it..... I like what the pre does to guitars and vox, it's a smoothing effect.... I don't really know what I'm hearing with api, it seems punchy I guess but maybe that's just what I hear others saying..... so if I could come in clean and add that "britt" sound w/ a plug in I would be totally sold on the api>>> BTW anyone have any opinions on the quality of the converters...... big improvement over the 002.....? Also theres no clock with the api, will this really matter that much anyhow?
Get the API and the URS N Series EQ...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've heard of this, does it have that neve sound? If I can I'm going to download the demo, and check it out.
πŸ“ Reply