Hardware stereo compressor for under 700$
Old 20th May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hardware stereo compressor for under 700$

Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can find a Drawmer 241 on E-bay for around 250-300 on most occassions. They are one of those comps that finds there way onto low end and high end set ups. The 241 can be used as two separate mono comps, or with the push of a button it can be used as stereo (the left side becomes the master). As a bonus, each channel has a noise gate as well. They are very usuable, sound great and are pretty transparent.
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm curious why plugs aren't (or wouldn't) do the job. Are you looking for the sound a particular piece would give or just want some 'hands on?
For something clean, versatile, inexpensive -and knobs- RNC's $200.
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKido
I looked at the price of the best software compressors out there, URS Waves etc... they are very expensive, I really would rather buy a hardware one that won't loose too much value over time.

In 1998 i bought the Waves NP bundle for 500$. In 2001 they were charging me 300$ to be able to continue to use them without their ugly beige dongle on os x with my new G4. This was the first in a long series of money-losing software investments.

Let s say I would have bought 2 RNC's instead in 1998, well I'd still be using them and that money would have been well invested in my book... From my point of view, it seems that everything is always a bit more complicated when dealing with software companies. It s enough trouble having to deal with all the Apple and OS X upgrades...

I also happen to think that good hardware sounds better. My Lexicon LXP-15 (which isn't even the best old Lexicon), is 15 years old and sounds better than any reverb plugins I've ever tried/bought. Of course I wish that this wouldn't be the case and that everything could stay inthebox, i've tried it, but in my experience and the way I like things, I am more satisfied when I let audio go through outboard/hardware processing...I still use plugins, but a lot less...and my stuff now sounds a lot better.

Heya man

you speak the truth!

hardware rocks. no doubt.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are some great freeware software plugins - especially if you can run PC VST effects. It's almost worth buying a PC if you don't have one - because Reaper is an excellent freeware DAW that can host all the freeware plugins.

Vanilla comp can probably outperform most cheap hardware compressors. And the Voxengo and Kjaerhus stuff are awesome for reasonable prices and simple registration keys.

If you mix in the box, it's hard to justify the extra noise of two stages of conversion (which had better be good) and the noisefloor of a hardware compressor.

I know that many software compressors don't compare favorably with hardware, so the noise is worth it. But the software is getting better all the time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'll second the Drawmer.. they're one of the most common units I see in live rigs.. I won't know why more studio guys don't use them!.. amazing sound for the price
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SPL Dynamaxx... an easy to use and nice sounding box IMO. It's more on the transparent side and works also fine on the stereobus. There is a cool feature, a decompress mode which works really cool on overcompressed sampels. The box goes for around €620,-- here, I'm not sure how much to pay in your area though.

Andreas
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKido
...i'd rather buy a high end unit eventually.
I have a very similar set-up to yours (Metric Halo 2882 & Logic) and was recently seeking a 'vibe' compressor, just like you! Looking at your existing kit and your requirements, my advice would be to go for broke and try to see about ways of getting hold of a Drawmer 1968ME; it is a lot more than your budget but it's a serious high-end piece of kit that's still within reach for 'project' guys like us. Best of all the sound sits neatly between clean and coloured, so if like me you can only afford one really good compressor and plan to run loads of stuff through it out via the 2882 the Drawmer really fits the bill. I waited a long time before I could afford it but I'm glad I did - the sound of this hardware is just gorgeous, no plug-in I've tried even comes close. (Try a search of this Forum for "Drawmer 1968" for more qualified opinion.)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
aKido, are you considering used compressors, or just new? Obviously, if you are willing to buy used there are a ton of choices.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have 2 RNCs, 2 RNLAs, 2 VLAs, and 6 Drawmer 241s on my "low end" compressor side. They are all great! Are you looking for a generic comp, an all-around comp, or something specific?
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
save up for a purple.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Drawmer DL241 or an RNC or two of them . Great bang for the buck. Peavey VC/L-2 is nice if you can find one.
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Peavey VC/L-2 thumbsup Might be in your price range if you get lucky. I think the prices have come down a bit on the Peavey AMR gear in the last year or two.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Urei BL-40

You could pick up a Urei BL-40 for around $700 or a Urei 7110 for about half of that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think you are going to need flexibility, so I think the VLA or Drawmer will suit your needs better. As opposed to the RNC/RNLA, you will need to tweak more (attack and release times, especially!) but that's the whole point when you NEED character. I think the RNC/RNLA are superior when used in Super-nice mode, but thats pretty invisible and is fine for keys but not really what you want for percussion or acoustic gtr. You can upgrade the VLA tubes and crank it for more valve so that gives you the ability to dial more color in... I think you might prefer it over all others.

Best,
Jim
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
don t make the mistake in buying into "filler" gear or 2nd best alternatives. if you want something decent wait and save up money and invest your current budget on top of that and get something good and versatile. e.g. the drawmer 1968 and a pair of good eqs (speck atcs).
cheap and filler gear tends to be more expensive (because you buy the better stuff sooner or late and have the filler gear collecting dust without any turn over), time consuming (tying to make things sound better, where you should have actually used something better). on the long run, when you are serious about sound, don t buy filler gear and do not believe the marketing hype of the budget consumer companies.

i have been through this for years, and in total the loss i made with cheap gear (loosing value too) certainly amounts double the total of all of my current gear. this freaks me out. and i did not start talking about the amount of time i spent fixing mediocre sounds tracked and processed with bad gear . the only good thing is the learning curve and the appriciation that i have for good gear.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
rnc comp

I have one, and I think it works pretty great for the price. The let down is the inability to use it as two mono comps. I also use Waves and Logic plugs, and I find more uses for the compressor in Logic than the Rcompressor in Waves. Granted, they are two different sounding/acting things entirely, and I often compress virtual instruments with plug ins over outboard gear. I get way more done, and in a timely fashion if there is no recall. I guess I'm saying that if you need to access vibe, Logic plugins will beat up on a RNC in a hurry. I would see an outboard compressor used accross a 2 buss in your set-up. Get a clock, and a convertor, and you will rock it nasty my friend.
πŸ“ Reply