Quantcast
Which one to buy- AT4050 or Rode NT2000? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which one to buy- AT4050 or Rode NT2000?
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Which one to buy- AT4050 or Rode NT2000?

I've heard good things about both and have kind of been leaning toward the AT4050 but wanted to get some feedback first. It's going to be used as a multi-purpose (everything-as-possible) mic. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 4050 is by far the most versatile mic I've ever owned. It's damn near impossible to make it sound bad on anything.

I've used it for acoustic guitars, electric guitars, vocals, mic'ing bass cabinets, drums, EVERYTHING.

I love AT mics, and this one almost makes mic'ing an instrument a no-brainer.

I won't lie to you and say it's the BEST mic for any job, but it is very neutral and sounds VERY good everywhere.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i can only comment abour Rode, but i have among others an NT1-A, their cheapest mic, and it still blows me away how well it can capture voice. I havent really used it on much else, but it is very sweet. I honestly thing you cannot go wrong with Rode..
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvintage
I've heard good things about both and have kind of been leaning toward the AT4050 but wanted to get some feedback first. It's going to be used as a multi-purpose (everything-as-possible) mic. Any help is greatly appreciated.
the AT has my vote any day!
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
AT - generally speaking.....

best bang for buck - in my experience
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I prefer the 4047 to the 4050. Maybe you can check 'em both out. Usually the 4047 is less expensive, although it doesn't have multiple patterns.

Compared to the NT2000 it might seem at first like the A-T isn't as punchy, but in reality, I think it's not as hyped.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AT4050...go for it
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
in my opinion, the at4050 is one of the most neutral sounding multi pattern LD for the best price you can imagine IMHO. I think it is worth what it costs.
Personally, I like it's sound over the U87...

leif
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
people will be very divided on this, the only way you can relay know is to try them both your self.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
hi, I own the at4050 and i love it. I've worked with several Rode mics in the past and i've never liked them... always way too harsh sounding. The At4050 isn't a mic that'll sound like WOW when you hear it on it's own. But inside a mix it usually sounds best compared to other mics.

Go for the AT4050!!!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
people will be very divided on this, the only way you can relay know is to try them both your self.

very divided ??? 7 votes for the AT4050 and 1 vote for a rode nt-1a (not an nt2000)
so far.... none the less good advice from aussie_techie...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShotStudio
very divided ??? 7 votes for the AT4050 and 1 vote for a rode nt-1a (not an nt2000)
so far.... none the less good advice from aussie_techie...

make that 8 for the AT4050
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Rode K2

This mic shouldnt be judged on the previous Rode mics. The new HF1 Capsules are much smoother.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
4050. You'll never regret it.
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
As above!

4050 all the way.

This mic will go down in history as one of the greatest.

Rode mics seem to have every feature you can imagine, except the one I need with them. A 9.5k -6db roll-off LP filter.
heh

D
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Rode

I have an NT-2A and I am mightily impressed! Much more detailed and bigger sound than an AT4047, for example. Assuming that the NT2000 is a notch better, I'd recommend the Rode.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Buy a 2nd AT-4050 and you have serious magic (Stereo Magic that is).

AT-4050 gets my vote as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing
Rode K2

This mic shouldnt be judged on the previous Rode mics. The new HF1 Capsules are much smoother.
the NT2A NT2000 and K2 all use the HF1 capsule although they do have different electronics.

i would go for a K2 aswell or possibly an NT2000, while i havnt used a 4050 i have not been impressed with the AE5400. the 4050 and the 5400 are ment to be close as the yuse the same capsule but i dont know how close they realy are. all i can say is im not impressed, however i have been impressed with most rode mics.

you just have to try for your self and decide what YOU like.
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
K2 if you've got the money. the variable polar pattern is pretty cool. i think it's an excellent mic...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
4050. I did a whole record with that mic! Great for anything....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ya I hink the 4050 is a great mic aswell ! I use it as my goto vocal mic and it just make rock vocals sit nicely in a mix.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Avoid the RODENT. There are many better choices, including almost every A-T condensor.

I'll admit I don't like the A-T4033 much, but the rest of the 40 Series kills the corresponding RODEs
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitztone
Avoid the RODENT. There are many better choices, including almost every A-T condensor.

I'll admit I don't like the A-T4033 much, but the rest of the 40 Series kills the corresponding RODEs

You forgot to add the 'IMO' bit.

I think the AT mics are getting a bit over rated here lately. They may equal the performance of the newer Rodes or sometimes be a better choice for a particular source, but IMO i dont think any AT mic would kill the Rodes.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
It's true, I left out the 'IMO'.

Since the originator of the thread asked for opinions, I figured we all knew that the responses were purely subjective. I don't claim to be an authority, that's for sure.

But I did say I don't like the A-T 4033, so I hope it's clear that I'm not blindly cheerleading for Audio-Technica.

I do believe (IMO!) that an A-T of similar price point and functionality is a better mic than the closest corresponding RODE. That's not the same as "any A-T is superior to all RODEs". Maybe I could've expressed that more clearly in my last post, it's certainly what I meant.
πŸ“ Reply