Red5 RV6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Red5 RV6
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Red5 RV6

I´m in need for a cheap pair of general use mics, is RV6 familiar to you?
Matti

inhttp://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/item.cfm?threadid=3686&lang=0
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i havnt used an RV6 but the other red5 audio stuff i have used was sh!t, some people rave about it 'for the price' but personly i naver had any luck with em.
but as i said i havnt used an RV6 so take this for what its worth.

look around there are many other options including Rode, SP, Apex, etc
what are you using the mics for?
Old 12th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Any others? Folks in the UK?
This resp. curve from their manual seems decent, but I`d like to hear it or hear from
someone who has heard.
Regards
Matti
Old 26th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I bought an RV6 the other day. I've used it only once so far but first impressions are good. I know people go on about "for the money" but... er... I'm going to as well. Come on, it's just so damn cheap. I paid £49 (GBP) for it and you get a good shockmount, a simple stand mount (both good quality steel, and the shockmount really works), foam pop shield and a fairly heavy duty case to keep them in.

So you can't argue with the VFM, it's just ridiculously good value. If you really can only scrape together enough for a £50 mic, this is the one, no questions.

If you can spend a bit more, then you do have some choices. As I said, I've only used the RV6 once so far (on a vocal) and I think it's pretty good, but you do have to work on it a bit. It has a fairly flat, uninteresting sound. However, it's not harsh or brittle, and with some added top-end it brightens up nicely. I'm using a loaned Brauner VM1 most of the time, and it gives a phenomenal sound right out of the box. The RV6 doesn't do that, of course. I also use an SE Z5600 (mk1), and this too beats the RV6 because the top end is more airy. I seem to remember, having used it once, that the SP SC1 has a cleaner top-end than the RV6. I found the RV6 needed some top adding, but you have to be careful or it will get harsh quickly. Get the placement right first, don't just reach for the EQ.

However, I like it more than the ATs, and my impressions of it overall are that it's a solid, well-built, usable mic that does all you need it to, and has the added bonus of being ultra cheap and coming with some great accessories. It's like a very cheap 414 really, albeit not as hi-fi - unremarkable sound, but you know what you're going to get and I reckon it will do the job on a wide variety of sources.

And, of course, you can get two if you like it, for the cost of a few CDs. It almost doesn't make sense not to buy one!
Old 21st July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Update - used it today on snare. Great results - coupled with 414s overhead, the RV6 gave a great snap without harshness and a powerful sound. Plus I didn't worry too much about the drummer hitting it as a) it's built like a brick outhouse. b) the foam popshield supplied makes a good impact protector (IMHO it's too thick to use on vocals, would rob too much top end) and c) it's cheap. I reckon it would make a great metal snare mic.
Old 3rd August 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Tried it yesterday on vocals too (I'm not on commission, honest) and it's not bad, but fairly unremarkable. I A/Bd it with the t.bone sc400 and the sc400 is more toppy (smaller diaphragm) and hissy - in quite a nice way - but exhibits more harshess on long notes (I was recording a Brit soul vocalist). I will post mp3s at some point to illustrate this stuff.
Old 4th August 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
SC400

By the way, for anyone using a t.bone sc400 (or one of its rebadged equivalents), there is a LF roll-off switch - you need to take off the outer cover of the mic and it's on the centre of the PCB. Not as useful as a 10dB pad, but worth knowing nevertheless.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes, there is, so ...

Matti
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Well,

Just though anyone else with one probably doesn't know about it, unless they've taken it apart...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sorry, did not want to sound / write more than neutral
-how to say

Matti after some local beer ;~)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
heh
📝 Reply