Quantcast
Whats the cheapest way to get a full guitar signal into a pc? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whats the cheapest way to get a full guitar signal into a pc?
Old 17th February 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Whats the cheapest way to get a full guitar signal into a pc?

I have very little money and dont know whats worth owning and whats just a waste of cash.

Can a di box be plugged into a usb? If so, how well would that work? Or do i need an audio interface?

Ive been looking at the lexicon alpha because many places have it for just $60 but i dont know if its the best or cheapest option.

Ive also looked at the stealth plug but it seems like it would just be this big tumor flopping around off the bottom of my guitar with two wires coming out of it, one to my pc and another to my speakers which would be quite silly and impractical.

Is 16 bit enough for guitar? Or does it sound noticeably different from an actual amp?

Ive been using a 1/8'' adapter on my guitar cord to plug it into the back of my pc soundcard but it sounds like crap.

So what are my options? Many thanks in advance.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Buy a 2nd hand EMU 0404 PCI.It will cost you about 50$ and you'll have a very decent interface.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Lexicon Alpha will get your signal into the computer, but if you start getting a little deeper into recording and multi-tracking, the Alpha starts bumping into problems with bandwidth in a hurry. There's better solutions out there. If you need the interface to be USB format, make sure it's USB 2.0 (the Alpha is not).
Old 18th February 2012
Deleted 09ad95d
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF ➡️
The Lexicon Alpha will get your signal into the computer, but if you start getting a little deeper into recording and multi-tracking, the Alpha starts bumping into problems with bandwidth in a hurry. There's better solutions out there. If you need the interface to be USB format, make sure it's USB 2.0 (the Alpha is not).
+1.

The Lex Alpha was my first interface. A big step up from a 1/8" adapter, but that's it. Not terrible sounding but in no way sounded good. Sounded dull, and the headphone amp was terrible.

For the price, a Focusrite Saffire is great for a beginning enthusiast, just read lots of end user reviews to get a feel for driver issues, etc.
Old 18th February 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I heard tonnes of examples of all kinds of FX pedals and interfaces over the last year.

one example I heard that I was surprised by was the POD Studio UX2.

in a good way.
Old 21st February 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
all good advice
Old 21st February 2012
I'be been using a behringer DI box into a 12-channel alesis firewire, then into my MAC and Ableton for years. I get a great sound! For just guitar though using a m-audio or edirol usb interface will be perfect.

If you run into ableton or logic etc and have guitar rig you can get a great sound. Check this, my newest tune:

soundcloud.com/skinshape/with-you

That guitar sound was made by straight into the DAW! No amps... only DI box!
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
check your boxes

My Digitech RP355 multi-effect box will connect directly to the pc via usb -- no DI needed. You can get one of those for about $130, and have a very useable effects box as well. It sounds OK out of the box, and is very tweakable.

I'm sure lots of the other boxes out there these days will do that as well. You may already have something that will work.
📝 Reply