Quantcast
Subwoofer matches monitors? What? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Subwoofer matches monitors? What?
Old 8th May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Subwoofer matches monitors? What?

When I was buying my monitors (Emes Kobalt speakers), the guy at the shop told me that the subwoofer the company makes "matches the speakers really well". Pardon my ignorance, but is it really that important? I'm willing to shell out for the sub once I can afford it, but I'm just wondering how true the statement is. Why wouldn't I hypothetically want to use another company's sub with my monitors?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
THE speaker will probably work better with the sub that they have because its made to work with the satellites that you have the crossover in the sub is probably set for where the sattelites cut off in the low or they are combined at a certain frequency that is the most accurate.
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It should all be adjustable anyways. If the sub doesn't have an adjustable crossover point and volume control, then I don't see why you'd want to get it anyway. You will be perfectly served (in a project setting where the room isn't really designed to match the speakers/vice/versa) with a sub that is of a different make than your nearfields.

Can't say that I know anything about their subwoofer, though. --or their speakers at all for that matter.
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This sounds like a typical salesman line. There's no reason to "match" your sub to your speakers. Any decent sub will have a variable crossover, if it doesn't, it's probably junk anyway. Look around at most studios that have subs, usually they're a totally different brand than the speakers.
Barefoot Sound

🎧 15 years
Is a tweeter "matched" to a woofer in a 2-way system? Of course it is. That's why nobody would dream of buying some random woofer and tweeter, integrating them with a generic variable crossover, and then calling it a recording monitor. So why do people think nothing of doing this with subs and satellites? Do they miraculously transform into skilled audio designers below 100Hz?

Personally I think a single sub positioned relatively far from the monitors is a big compromise. Nonetheless, you're probably better off choosing a sub that was designed to integrate with your monitors. Otherwise you're completely shooting in the dark.

Thomas

Last edited by barefoot; 10th May 2006 at 03:32 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot
Is a tweeter "matched" to a woofer in a 2-way system? Of course it is. That's why nobody would dream of buying some random woofer and tweeter, integrating them with a generic variable crossover, and then calling it a recording monitor. So why do people think nothing of doing this with subs and satellites? Do they miraculously transform into skilled audio designers below 100Hz?

Personally I think a single sub positioned relatively far from the monitors is a big compromise. Nonetheless, you're probably better off choosing a sub that was designed to integrate with your monitors. Otherwise you're completely shooting in the dark.

Thomas
Feel free to take what I said and throw it out the window... He's waaay more qualified than me.
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
how are the kobalts anyway? I've been thinking of getting a pair but can't try them out where I live. I would love to hear what you think.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…