Quantcast
Focusrite/Mbox 1 Mic pre hack? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite/Mbox 1 Mic pre hack?
Old 27th September 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Focusrite/Mbox 1 Mic pre hack?

So I have an old Mbox 1 that I don't need as an Audio Interface, and a friend of mine was telling me about modding it to be JUST a mic pre. Anyone know of or have any links/instructions on how to do this? I checked around online and couldn't find anything. Thanks!
Old 27th September 2011

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronospan ➑️
So I have an old Mbox 1 that I don't need as an Audio Interface, and a friend of mine was telling me about modding it to be JUST a mic pre. Anyone know of or have any links/instructions on how to do this? I checked around online and couldn't find anything. Thanks!
If you don't mod it at all, just power it via a USB source, and set the mix control to be 100% input, then that should work no?
Old 27th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7 ➑️
So you are saying you would really like to use the OG mBox mic pre by choice?
That's pretty scary.
+1.
Old 27th September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So you are saying you would really like to use the OG mBox mic pre by choice?
That's pretty scary.
Number 1, it's better than the Pres on my mixer. Number 2, if I had the money I would totally get a Vintech or UA, but my bank account begins with "0.0" and ends in "6". Number 3, what happened to being polite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey
If you don't mod it at all, just power it via a USB source, and set the mix control to be 100% input, then that should work no?
I'll give that a try, but I was hoping for something a little more involved, like converting it to wall power and messing with the switch controls.
Old 29th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

One last thing Vintech is not impressive so if you had the money it would still be a bad choice.

+1
Old 29th September 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Give the guy a break! He's obviously just trying to make the best with what he has got.

It's easy to sit there and knock people trying to use what you consider 'substandard' equipment but this is the 'low end' forum after all!

Get off your high horse, give some decent advice, or get back to making music. Easy as!
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
alright guys...Azriel, if you dont have anything to add to the OP's original question then just bow out and let him have his fun...OP, there is nothing noble or ingenuitive about hacking the pres in your old mbox...that being said, try the other suggestion of turning the input to %100 and powering it from the usb port. If that works and you want to wall power the thing then go get a usb wall adapter and viola you will have a standalone mbox pre. The usb wall adapters can be found at radioshack or even walmart.
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old thread I know. But was this ever officially resolved? Can you use the M-Box 1 as a standalone mic pre?
Old 17th June 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore ➑️
Old thread I know. But was this ever officially resolved? Can you use the M-Box 1 as a standalone mic pre?
Just got an M-Box converted to standalone mic pre today. I know it's an ancient thread, but yeah it works fine...

here's a little guide for anyone to pull this off.... you just need to cut the leg of that pin no4 from the left bottom (pin 12), and make sure it's disconnected. Then you solder in a jumper like shown in the pic, from the tiny circle below the severed leg, (via), and connect it to the right most pin on the bottom row (pin 16). and there you go.

Hope it goes well for anyone who still owns an MBox. Now you're the proud owner of 2 Focusrite Mic Pres, with 2 channel inserts, and SPDIF I/O. The unit will now be powered by a USB wall wart. I personally use my samsung charger with a regular USB cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Focusrite/Mbox 1 Mic pre hack?-mcox-made-melaka.jpg  
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Nice mod for the Mbox1.
thanks for bringing this up.

Can pleasa someone confirm that after the mod the Mbox1 will still work the same way as stock when connected to a DAW?

thanks
Old 11th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo ➑️
Nice mod for the Mbox1.
thanks for bringing this up.

Can pleasa someone confirm that after the mod the Mbox1 will still work the same way as stock when connected to a DAW?

thanks
Here's a link to the originator of the Mbox 1 preamp hack:

Apparently, once it is done, the Mbox 1 cannot be used as an interface anymore, just a pair of preamps. I don't think that this mod allows for the SPDIF function either.
Old 9th April 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
heh cool, was thinking about if the mbox runs off wall power just the other day. It doesn't! You can use a computer to power it and it works tho, which I did years ago when I needed two extra preamps and the old interface was the only option. Never was a fan of the mbox preamps but I noticed tonight that with a mic held close enough for major proximity effect (sm58, nt1000) and the preamp gain just below clipping there is a nice compressed sort of effect on spoken word. I unfortunately have no fond memories of these preamps from any past applications. Am going to try them on drum overheads for the fun of it. If that's no good then the mbox will go back in the carboard box it's been in in the cupboard for the past several years!
Old 2nd May 2017
Here for the gear

I thought you may be interested with the hack I came up with for Mbox2. Feel free to share it:
https://harpologist.wordpress.com/20...res-soldering/
πŸ“ Reply