Quantcast
DI box and phantom power - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DI box and phantom power
Old 12th July 2011
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
DI box and phantom power

Hi folks, I've been searching around for a bit for the answer to this and wondered if anyone could help.

I bought an active DI box rather hastily and forgot to check if it could be powered with phantom through the XLR out. It takes a 9V battery and also has a 9V DC in. Without putting in a battery I plugged the DI up to my bass and took the XLR out to my motu 8pre with phantom engaged on the channel. The box worked fine even though the instructions said nothing specific about being able to power it with phantom.

What I'm wondering is, will this cause any damage to the DI box?
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Phantom Power

Active Di's are supposed to be powered with Phantom power, that is what enables them to be active. If your particular brand also comes with a battery then it is probably for when you don't have phantom power available to you...I guess when you are not using a console.

I doubt you caused anything any harm by using both at the same time but having said that...

RTFM
Old 12th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
active DI requires power either from "phantom power" OR "9V battery."

your DI's fine. no damage done.
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
thanks for the replies, although as I said in my post I didn't use a battery and I did RTFM, and it mentioned nothing about supporting +48V phantom hence my query. It was the 9V DC in which I haven't seen on other DIs which threw me.
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Love active DI boxes, have several, but face it; if the phantom power is between the cable screen and the balanced conductors, you're not going to be able to get as good a ground isolation as with a passive. No problem until you're on stage and the bassist wants to feed his own on stage amplifier, the recording console, monitors and FOH PA. With a good enough set of ground lift cables you can almost always find a solution, but it can take serious amounts of time that would otherwise be sound check. Hence the battery; and seeing that last time I bought a nine volt battery it cost me best part of $10, hence the external mains power supply, even if it doesn't give quite as much separation.

But no DI, active, passive or hybrid, should ever get upset about phantom power on its output. Quite a number of consoles it's not selectable individually, so if you've got a condensor mic on drum overheads means every channel is getting power, whether it needs it or not. So any dynamic microphone that acts up with phantom (and it happens) should be repaired. And any unbalanced source you want to run in should have a DI box, albeit primitive.
๐Ÿ“ Reply