Quantcast
RME Babyface vs Apogee Duet 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Babyface vs Apogee Duet 2
Old 26th April 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
RME Babyface vs Apogee Duet 2

I just ordered pro tools 9 and am now ready to upgrade my interface. I only need two inputs in my home studio as I do not have room for a drum room or multiple musicians. I have been researching interfaces for the last couple months, and have been drawn to these two (babyface, duet2). I have not been able to find any information anywhere that says whether or not you can bypass the pres on either model. I know people use the line imput with thier outboard pre's on the duet. Does anyone know if the phantom power is bypassable through the software through either model? I only meed to imputs but I do need to record both sorces at the same time on occasion, and like to use my outboard pres. The price point is very sililar for these two, and both seem to get love here. I will be using the interface with pro tools, and logic on a mac in my home studio and budget is around $700. Any imput on the two, or suggestions for others please chime in.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry to do this to you but you should seriously consider doing a search and adding to an existing thread.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...t-2-535-a.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...-babyrace.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...onverters.html
Old 26th April 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks chris for staying true to form. Lol. I have read everyone of those threads some twice. Still have no idea whether you can bypass the pre amps on either model and use the xlr inputs and not have to use the line in. Also was hoping that someone might have some first hand experience as the duet2 was not shipping or available during some of those discussions, and maybe some one had recieved an early release to test. Thanks again for the imput.

Old 26th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
why those two if you don't want pre's?

not quite in the same class, but still good: why not an echo audiofire 2?
(if you really only need 2 inputs but don't want pre's)

hell, for the price you could get an audiofire 12.

many other options as well....
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk ➑️
Thanks chris for staying true to form. Lol. I have read everyone of those threads some twice. Still have no idea whether you can bypass the pre amps on either model and use the xlr inputs and not have to use the line in. Also was hoping that someone might have some first hand experience as the duet2 was not shipping or available during some of those discussions, and maybe some one had recieved an early release to test. Thanks again for the imput.

You can bypass the mic pre amps on Duet 2. In Maestro 2 you have 4 input choices: Mic, Instrument, +4, and -10. If you choose +4 or -10 you are bypassing Duet's mic pre amp.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Old 26th April 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Clawson, thank you so much for that info!!!!! Finally got a clear answer!! This is pushing the duet 2 ahead of the babyface for me.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
TBH phunk, you're asking a question that cannot really be answered properly at this time. The Duet 2 has not been released yet, so the user feedback that you are presumably looking for can only be speculation at best.

Clawson WORKS for Apogee so of course he's going to big up the Duet 2 (which Im sure will be a great product....I generally like Apogee stuff, if not their high price tags! )

As far as I'm aware I THINK you can bypass the Babyfaces preamps, but I dont own one so I can't confirm.
TBH, unless you have some seriously good external preamps, I often find that the preamps that units such as these come with sound great on their own. Do you really need to bypass the preamps?
Old 27th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
For about the same price as the Babyface, you can get RME's ADI2!
Old 27th April 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Drumdrum, I was hoping to have some versatility in the interface. Do you think the pres will sound as good as a gap pre73, and a ua-610 (two completely different sounds I know)? Im thinking that the onboard pres may be able to compete with the solid state in the pre73. I was also hoping that maybe someone might have some first hand knowledge as a tester, as we are closer to a release date of the duet2. But it looks like that is not going to happen. Thanks so much for your informative input!

Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear
The pres in the duet 1 are very nice but they won't give you that pre73 or la610 sound. They have supposedly upgraded the pres in the duet 2 but I would be surprised if they sounded like an outboard pre. I also highly doubt that anyone who has used a duet 2 would be able to say anything until they are shipping out to consumers. Either way Apogee makes good sounding pres. if you can't get a good sound from a duet it isn't cause of the pres.

I have a duet 1 for sale. PM me if you're interested.

Peace

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 28th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I am right in the middle of this same decision.

Now the Duet 2 has been out a few more months, has anyone got any more comments?

The only other interface in the game for me is Mbox Pro - how is that up against the Babyface and Duet 2?
Lives for gear

I have a babyface for remote work and have never used the Duet. The Babyface's pre's are very clean with no colour. According to the info I've gleaned from RME if the pre's are turned all the way down it's the same as having no pres in the signal chain.
It sounds like this to my ears. I use ME1NV's with the Babyface and it doesn't seem to affect the sound in any negative way.
Great sounding unit with great drivers. And it's blue. Go leafs go.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
so to make the mic inputs into line inputs you just turn them all the way down?

I might not use the mic inputs lots, as mainly having SE1 synth and 1176 going in at line level.
Old 29th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson ➑️
You can bypass the mic pre amps on Duet 2. In Maestro 2 you have 4 input choices: Mic, Instrument, +4, and -10. If you choose +4 or -10 you are bypassing Duet's mic pre amp.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Hi Chris,

Thanks for chiming in. I am waiting for a Duet 2 from Sweetwater. Ordered it two weeks ago but it still has not come in. Any ideas?

Several of my concerns with the Duet 2 besides bypassing the pres which you already answered (thanks), is latency. What are the specs on that?

I`m also trying to figure out a way to incorporate my two Avalon 737s. My ideal configuration would be to run all analog through the 737s first then directly into the Duet 2, then straight out to the Mackie 824s. Can the Duet 2 act as a volume controller for the 824s?

Avalon 737s ---> Duet 2 ---> Mackie HR824s

Thanks,
EB
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well... babyface sounds f'ing lame, and apogee makes converters that can stand with the best. get apogee dacs or better or you might as well use the stereo input on your mac.
Old 30th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by revstate ➑️
well... babyface sounds f'ing lame, and apogee makes converters that can stand with the best. get apogee dacs or better or you might as well use the stereo input on your mac.
lol umm.... no...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by revstate ➑️

you already won the stupidest post award and i'm a newbie on this site...congrats!!!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
what we looking at latency wise btw these two?

are they faster than an mbox pro?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I know you guys are discussing Babyface v Duet2.

But.
I regularly switch between a Duet 1 and a RME Fireface 800 and have not got any latency problems with any of them.....and I am quite picky.

My point here is that I assume an update of the Duet (and a 6 year old Fireface card) should be able to cut it even better....
Old 31st August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
a mate of mine came over today with his new Duet 2 and we did a little test to see how good the pres are.

Put it up against a Dacs Clarity (a Β£1400 dual pre).

Dacs won it for us, but only just. Was astounded at the quality of the Apogee pres. A little hyped on the high end and lacked the full body of the Dacs, but the Dacs is world class and with a little EQ after, we got close to matching the sound.

At low buffer settings the latency is fine to record with.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I own a FF400 and the pres are transparent in my opinion. The Babyface can be extended, so if for a weekend you can rent another unit to add more inputs.

on the DAC side, I think that both companies are doing great. I find the Babyface more flexible, and extendable.
Old 2nd September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
apogee converters = coloured

RME converters = accurate
Old 3rd September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerjex ➑️
lol umm.... no...
about what? the fact that the name baby face is lame? or the fact that apogee and rme are in two different leagues. rme is at the top of the crap converters, but they are still crap. apogee is at the middle of high end converters, not as good as lavery, but better than a lot of others. if you multi-tracked in the 32 to 64 stereo channel range you would notice the difference. but... this is the low end theory forum, so have at that latest m-audio or rme, and have fun.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
c'mon peeps, let's not get too aggro please

from my experience and a few other mates that work on a pro level, both Apogee and RME knock out good units. Maybe not Prism or Lavry standard, but plenty good enough to make great music.

But I'm still interested in users thoughts on the quality differences btw these two. Are the convertors night and day? How do the pre's compare?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANTARAVE ➑️
apogee converters = coloured

RME converters = accurate
Prove it.
Old 6th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can the either of the units handle a compressor???? without an additional pre.

and if not.

why would they not making it possible! that would allow us to color the signal and grab the warmth of our chosen comp!!!

the ensemble is to much for me! and i like the built it pres!!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
On the duet 2 you can go in as line input for sure and pretty sure on RME is the same. So, yes, you could compress on the way in.

I'm planning on doing critical mono tracking via a 6176 pre/comp, rather than use the built in pre.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCreation ➑️
can the either of the units handle a compressor???? without an additional pre.

and if not.

why would they not making it possible! that would allow us to color the signal and grab the warmth of our chosen comp!!!

the ensemble is to much for me! and i like the built it pres!!
Hey Chaos! Heres the Duet 2 Users Guide.

You can bypass the pres in the Duet 2 by going into Maestro. I am really curious to try out the pre on the Duet 2. I have not recorded with it yet, literally just set it up a few days ago. Have time later this week to record so I will be putting down group vocals. Just to compare, I will record 16 tracks with the Duet 2 pres and 16 with the Avalon 737.

If I can figure out how to share the files here on GS, I will do so.
Old 8th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley ➑️
Hi Chris,

Thanks for chiming in. I am waiting for a Duet 2 from Sweetwater. Ordered it two weeks ago but it still has not come in. Any ideas?

Several of my concerns with the Duet 2 besides bypassing the pres which you already answered (thanks), is latency. What are the specs on that?

I`m also trying to figure out a way to incorporate my two Avalon 737s. My ideal configuration would be to run all analog through the 737s first then directly into the Duet 2, then straight out to the Mackie 824s. Can the Duet 2 act as a volume controller for the 824s?

Avalon 737s ---> Duet 2 ---> Mackie HR824s

Thanks,
EB
Going a tad OT, But Since something similar has been said in this post,Is there ANY way to incorporate a 1176 with my Duet 1 and Mackie HR824s? Thanks in Advance
Old 15th September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Fidelity ➑️
Going a tad OT, But Since something similar has been said in this post,Is there ANY way to incorporate a 1176 with my Duet 1 and Mackie HR824s? Thanks in Advance
Dunno if there is a way to insert an 1176 after the duet pres? I would doubt it.

Btw - how does the Avid Mbox Pro compare to these units?
πŸ“ Reply