Quantcast
Mic Placement for VO in small room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic Placement for VO in small room
Old 8th February 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Mic Placement for VO in small room

I record voice overs on a regular basis using a live room/vocal booth measuring 11(l) x 4.5(w) x 8(h) in feet.

There are two windows facing the 'control room' at either end of the dividing wall with a door between them. The rest of the room is covered in acoustic foam with a floating floor covered in carpet.

The 'control room' is in fact a room I share with a number of graphic designers where I monitor on headphones. Not ideal by any means, but the situation is changing soon.

I am trying to find ideal mic placement for a Rode NT2-A within the room. I have no problems with placement relative to the artist, but am trying to find a good room sound.

I have tried having artists record while sitting down and standing up, with varying degrees of success, but was wondering if anyone would have any advice on mic placement for a room of this size?
Old 8th February 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Try having the talent stand or sit with their back to the wall, one to two feet away, that has acoustic foam. That will help keep the reflections from bouncing back into the mic capsule. Or, you can have the talent with their back in one of the corners of the room.
Old 8th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the advice asap. Will having the talent sit with their back to the wall/corner and facing a window cause problems?

I find that I get a good sound with the 'figure 8' setting, as cardioid doesn't seem to provide enough 'warmth' but I'm hoping I'm not doing anything too crazy.

Besides the windows, the entire room is covered in acoustic foam for a dead sound. Just trying to get the best sound possible with what I have.
Old 8th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear
I take it their are no bass traps? Put the mic in the center of the room and point it at the corner with no windows. I have found this placement is ideal in a room without rockwool treatment. The corner prevents the waves from directly bouncing back like against a flat wall. I would not face the mic towards a flat wall, the sound will bounce back too quickly even with foam treatment.

later,

scott
Old 9th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
There are no bass traps. Hopefully, we can invest in them soon.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 9th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Bass traps are really easy to make if you are handy. Look up diy bass traps videos. You will save a bunch of money.

Scott
Old 10th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You won't need bass traps if all you're doing is voice over work. The regular broadband absorbers should be fine.

With a booth that small it's probably best to avoid as much room sound as possible for any conventional work. But whatever works really. If most of the room is covered in absorption as you say then you probably won't find too too much of a difference in sound by moving the mic around. Figure eight is cool if it works for you! Maybe try pointing the null at the window (or pointing the 180deg lobe at the window if you're feeling adventurous!).

Actually, I'm guessing the 'warmth' that you're hearing from the figure eight now is probably a result of the 180deg lobe picking up the window reflections.

Anyhow, you never really mentioned what you didn't like about the sound you're getting currently?
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
There was never really anything 'wrong' with the sound in the first place, just felt like asking what others would do with the room to maximise the sound.

I tried experimenting with some of the tips that you have given me and they all worked like a charm.

So, thanks for the advice!
πŸ“ Reply