Quantcast
Hit songs with an SM58 on lead vocals. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hit songs with an SM58 on lead vocals.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hit songs with an SM58 on lead vocals.

Life Can Be Master by magus888 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I just mixed this tune for a girl in Germany. It still sounds like she's holding the mic, but I used that to the song's advantage. It's a but of a sappy song for an indie film vibe to begin with.

I hear Bono uses an SM58 in the studio, who else?
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bjork
Old 21st January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sm58 a dark and not so sensitive to surrounding sounds...very workable in any studio, i heard Mic Jagger used one or a 57 (or early equalvlent) early in his career, Foo Fighters Dvid Gruel used one...used on drums everywhere...all around go to mic, not great on one thing but good on all...
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Michael Jackson sang through an sm57 while recording Billy Jean
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bono often records with a Shure beta58 (not sm58 like another poster said - Lanois and other engineers attest to that here on Gearslutz) - when tracking without headphones. They put monitors beside him and use the rejection on the hyper-cardiod beta58 to reduce the amount of monitor signal being picked up by the mic. So he can perform like he would on stage

And I thought Billie Jean was an Shure SM7 not an sm57 - check the former Q&A with Swedien* on this site aswell.

Still a beta58 is still a cheap mic
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its good to have a tool box of different mics
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction ➑️
And I thought Billie Jean was an Shure SM7 not an sm57 - check the former Q&A with Swedien* on this site aswell.

That's what I thought too. I've seen several postings for the SM57 mic on online stores saying it was used by Michael Jackson, sometimes just for Billie Jean, sometimes saying on everything. Lots of people quote those in forums as well...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is an interview in Sound on Sound or EQ mag with Rich Costey where he describes tracking Muse on their Absolution album, where one or two songs were tracked with an sm58 as a hand held whilst walking around the live room, I don't think they were the 'hits' on the album though.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Bono often records with a Shure beta58 (not sm58 like another poster said - Lanois and other engineers attest to that here on Gearslutz) - when tracking without headphones. They put monitors beside him and use the rejection on the hyper-cardiod beta58 to reduce the amount of monitor signal being picked up by the mic. So he can perform like he would on stage

just going by what bruce swedien told me in person.
Old 22nd January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Phil Anselmo/Pantera - SM58
Old 22nd January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Vocals on the Killer's Hot Fuss and Day and Age were cut with Brandon Flowers using either a beta or SM58. Sam's Town was apparently tracked using one of the Heil dynamics.

I also read somewhere that Peter Gabriel used an SM58/57 on his early solo records.
Old 23rd January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Maybe not impressive to all, but
the Sex Pistols used a 58 for lead vocals. Apparently the engineer (Bill Price) tried nicer mics like U47s, but either the vocals got lost beneath the loud, noisy music, or had to be turned up so loud that the music sounded small in comparison.
The Clash used a 58 for Joe Strummer's vox on London Calling, which is more hifi than punk sounding. The story is that Joe was getting dental work done around that time, and a 58 provided the most articulation for him in those recordings.
Old 24th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
dumb question maybe but what's the difference between the a beta and the SM58

I want to get two pretty cheap and quality mics for tracking singer/songwriters
going to use the SM57 on guitar
SM58 on voice

I know some will say use a small condenser on the guitar but hey..

these mics will be tracked through 500 series fivefishaudio preamps into tascam DM-4800 into cubase add some plug-in magic and there we go...
sounds like a good demo setup for me.. I think clients will like it
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The Shure Beta 58 is a brighter/harder sounding microphone than an SM 58.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Beta 58 is also supercardioid (more directional) and has higher output

Personally I would avoid the 57 for acoustic gtr (although there are plenty of people who use them on acoustic guitar) - although you may well get the best out of it through the 500 series pre

yes a condenser would be my choice - plenty of decent ones out there at budget prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by fataltone ➑️
dumb question maybe but what's the difference between the a beta and the SM58

I want to get two pretty cheap and quality mics for tracking singer/songwriters
going to use the SM57 on guitar
SM58 on voice

I know some will say use a small condenser on the guitar but hey..

these mics will be tracked through 500 series fivefishaudio preamps into tascam DM-4800 into cubase add some plug-in magic and there we go...
sounds like a good demo setup for me.. I think clients will like it
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Bono often records with a Shure beta58 (not sm58 like another poster said - Lanois and other engineers attest to that here on Gearslutz) -
Howie B said Bono used SM58 and Beta 58 on POP recordings!
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This is an SM58 on Richard Ashcroft from the Verve, to me its a great vocal.
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I record all my vocals with an SM58, mainly because it's my only vocal microphone. I have gotten some good results with it, especially after I upgraded my audio interface to one that can handle more gain. You'll need quite a bit of gain on it to pick up the vocals.

As for the SM57, I do remember reading somewhere that Paul Simon has used it on some of his guitar tracks.
Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
Phil Anselmo/Pantera - SM58
Anselmo used a Beta 58, I'm a huge Pantera fan and I remember seeing him use one / he also auctioned one off..

Shure Mic Auction Wrap-up / House Ear Institute

You will find that most people you see using an SM58 it will acutally be a beta and it's hard to notice because they look so similar.

But the SM58 is definetly not a great vocal mic, don't get me wrong it's not bad I use them live and everytime I drop it I pick it up and crack on like nothing happend.
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yea see that Shute demo bid with them using 58s to bang in nails then plugging em in and singing! Solid.
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I remember reading that George Benson recorded "This Masquerade" on a 58. It was supposed to be a scratch track but how could they improve on what was already perfect?
JP
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years

Old 7th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Most people that say "Oh I think it was an sm58" It was probably a Beta58, the sound difference is just huge between the 2, sm58 sound is less bright and softer so IMHO is great for guitar amps and I'd go with other option for vocals. But if you really like sm58 then you should give a try to sm87, wich is very similar but condenser version and it sounds fantastic with a nice rejection.

I use a lot of shure mics, but when I sing with a Senheizer, 1st think I feel is: WoW.

of course everything can have processing, therefore, if you have nice techs they will make you sound really good with an SM58 even if the dry sound is not as clear.
Old 8th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I heard somewhere that Billy Joel's first album was tracked through a sm58. He just wasn't comfortable behind the expensive stuff, so they threw up a 58 like he was singin' in a bar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rumer recorded a few of the tracks on the Seasons of My Soul album using an SM58, according to her interview in Sound On Sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just a perspective but I think there are several more important factors in a recording becoming a hit than the microphone used to record it:

The song (especially the "hook")
The arrangment
The "band" and how well and tight they play together
The vocalist's ability to convey the "essence" of the song (whatever that means!)

Another comment: you can use a SM57 to record vocals and acoustic guitar: lots of gain, lots of eq BUT, I have found that if all your tracks are recorded using the same mic, the mix is going to be a nightmare.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

That's a classic Lanois technique that he also used on Dylan with The Band---dynamic mic, band mix blaring out of speakers on each side while tracking...
Bleed is good.

Yes, SM7 on Billie Jean, at least according to Swedien.

Oh, and Tom Petty uses a sm57 live--almost a 58, though I don't know what he tracks with. And not that anyone cares, but I personally like the beta57 for my own vocals live.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear Bono uses an SM58 in the studio, who else?
He also sings in the control room and not in the studio itself. allot of times he sitting on the couch singing into a sm58 or a wireless mic.
Old 9th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering ➑️
He also sings in the control room and not in the studio itself. allot of times he sitting on the couch singing into a sm58 or a wireless mic.
Old 9th April 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen ➑️
That's a classic Lanois technique that he also used on Dylan with The Band---dynamic mic, band mix blaring out of speakers on each side while tracking...
Bleed is good.
Not quite right on the facts here. First, Lanois has never worked with Bob Dylan AND The Band. Bob Dylan, yes....with The Band, no.

The two albums that Lanois produced for Bob were Time Out of Mind and Oh Mercy. Fact is, Bob sang into a Sony C37A on both albums.

Yes, there was tons of bleed. Live bleed from the surrounding musicians, not from some control room speakers. Both sessions featured live tracking- one big room, lots of musicians.

Now, on Love and Theft, Bob sang into an SM7. Even on that mic, the vocal tracks had tons of bleed.
πŸ“ Reply