The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!
Old 4th January 2011
MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!

So, ok... there was a thread about certain mics from China and it got crazy and shut down, but Dang it! I just used the MC-200 on another session and it sounded amazing!

Anybody else having such great success with these mics? I mean really, the MC-200 sounds really great!

MC-200 Studio Großmembran Kondensatormikrofon + Spinne bei eBay.de: Live Studio-Mikrofone (endet 01.02.11 15:22:18 MEZ)
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Dang! I looked that whole page over and could not find an English translation button. Did I miss something?

Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min ➡️
So, ok... there was a thread about certain mics from China and it got crazy and shut down, but Dang it! I just used the MC-200 on another session and it sounded amazing!

Anybody else having such great success with these mics? I mean really, the MC-200 sounds really great!

MC-200 Studio Großmembran Kondensatormikrofon + Spinne bei eBay.de: Live Studio-Mikrofone (endet 01.02.11 15:22:18 MEZ)
Coolness, thanks for pointing out another one!
Old 4th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I bought 2, other was broken ( capsule holder ) due transport but luckily I had a spare and repaired it rather than send them back and am quite happy.

Matti
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It looks great & the samples were nice, but geeze... 32 Euro to ship to US. Ouch!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont suppose you have tried the MC520 from the same vendor?
Also cheap or so it would seem.

And a big difference in UPS cost from €5.50 in Germany to €17.50 for the rest of Europe!
At only €32 post to USA looks like a bargain to me!

Old 5th January 2011 | Show parent
No I haven't yet... :/

I want too... Contact the vendor. Maybe they are the same model, but multi-pattern and different grill.
Old 26th January 2011 | Show parent
Anybody else just love this mic?? Am I going insane here? I keep thinking I miss be wrong and my ears don't hear right? Does this mic sound this good?

Just saying... I used it on vox a few times and it stomped on the competition... Why is this so? It's so cheap... it shouldn't be able to do this?!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anybody else just love this mic?? Am I going insane here? I keep thinking I miss be wrong and my ears don't hear right? Does this mic sound this good?

Just saying... I used it on vox a few times and it stomped on the competition... Why is this so? It's so cheap... it shouldn't be able to do this?!
I notice a distinct peak at 8k, and you know what that means!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks like rebrandings of the Studio Projects line...

C1 - Studio Recording Microphone

All the frequency response graphs looked peaky in the high-frequencies. I wouldn't bother myself but since you are in Germany it's a lot cheaper for shipping reasons.

An interesting question: Does the apparent rebranding of a known company's product imply intellectual property infringement? And should consumers care (i.e. buy products when they know they may be ripped from another company)?

While Behringer supposedly reverse engineers some things it seems some of these companies are straight ripping off certain products.

*I'm not accusing this company of ripping off SP's mics, just observing how similar they look*
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs ➡️
I notice a distinct peak at 8k, and you know what that means!
I was going to mention that too. I've had enough crappy K67-based peaky mics so I wouldn't even consider this mic myself, based on experience with similar ones.
I did have to de-ess a bit in the 7k range. But I checked this mic on two vocalist and it was the best suited to their voice.

It was insane because I really wanted to return it and then it proved to work well. Now it's an inexpensive mic, but it did the job... was really shocked

I'm baffled at times at what I know and what actually happens in life... The mic sounds good to me and we used it on some recordings and the rappers liked it. And that was really cool heh

Tried it on a harp once and it was too hyped. Not good for classical music at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran ➡️
Looks like rebrandings of the Studio Projects line...

C1 - Studio Recording Microphone

All the frequency response graphs looked peaky in the high-frequencies. I wouldn't bother myself but since you are in Germany it's a lot cheaper for shipping reasons.

An interesting question: Does the apparent rebranding of a known company's product imply intellectual property infringement? And should consumers care (i.e. buy products when they know they may be ripped from another company)?

While Behringer supposedly reverse engineers some things it seems some of these companies are straight ripping off certain products.

*I'm not accusing this company of ripping off SP's mics, just observing how similar they look*
Well, Idk if they are rips of them or not. I don't think so because I've used a C1 at my buddies studio and looked inside it. And that mic was made by 797 audio. Saw the big 797 on the PCB. This one had the logo of the same company that makes Kel products. The company is called Shengke. Here is a link.
http://www.shengke.com.cn/

There was a thread about these mics that got shoot down. I mean it was 60, € and it has already paid for it self so it was a good investment

Woohoo!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well that's good, if it's not a direct rebranding. It just looks very similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran ➡️
Well that's good, if it's not a direct rebranding. It just looks very similar.
How so? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.
Attached Thumbnails
MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!-205103d1290531626-isk-roxdon-microphones-anyone-mc200_back.jpg   MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!-204343d1290107239-isk-roxdon-microphones-anyone-mc-200.jpg   MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!-c1mic-xlarge.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BTW - the "backwards RU" mark is not a manufacturer's logo as has been stated here. It is an Underwriters Laboratory mark that certifies specific components used in the device have been UL approved.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How so? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.
I'm saying I'm glad it's not a rip off.
Old 3rd May 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Mister Min, just found your thread here - and yes - I have tested the MC-200, and was similar amazed - they sound quite good. I tried the other MC Mics also - they were good too - the MC-520 is transformerless an a bit clearer - means more hyped - so I specially liked the MC-200 - it's a bit more "normal" - unhyped - and has a certain nice warm tone - compared. Of course this is a different thing than my other Mics here that make a totally different job - but this is the cheapest one I ever used - and at far not the cheapest sounding! I use them as Room-Mics or when Percussion needs to be subtle - or on female Voices, that have to stand out in a rock mix... I have some other nice gear, that sounds really amazing - and you would not have believed it by reading the brands before trying ;-)

Enjoy your MC's - be carefull with the heights and don't use them for clear, crisp mids, but for al lot of sources that may sound simply "nice" :-)
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Recording tools MC-520

interesting... just sent a s241 schematic to a mic guru in Germany, and he said the MC-520 by Recording Tools is a great mic, he has 2 of them and they were some serious quality & sound as the TLM-103. we plan on trying the Recording Tools line out in the studio next year... and doing some comparisons for ourselfs, the price seems insane for the looks of these... but your ear tells the truth. we will post some findings on the slutz L8r. Doyen

Last edited by AudioHipster; 29th December 2011 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: hillbilly grammer fix
Old 30th December 2011 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioHipster ➡️
interesting... just sent a s241 schematic to a mic guru in Germany, and he said the MC-520 by Recording Tools is a great mic, he has 2 of them and they were some serious quality & sound as the TLM-103. we plan on trying the Recording Tools line out in the studio next year... and doing some comparisons for ourselfs, the price seems insane for the looks of these... but your ear tells the truth. we will post some findings on the slutz L8r. Doyen
As an owner of one of these mics and a lover of the TLM-103... they are not that similar in anyway. The TLM has a different character all together, one that I prefer. The recording tools mic has a bit of a hyped sound, but one I liked and used quite often.

Not a bad choice at all, but not the same as the 103.
Old 16th March 2012
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Man dit know you could fix hillbilly grammar... Man we received these mic's ... and they are light as hell... except the ribbon... and haven't delved into the 700 or 900 yet or 200 but the 520 and ribbon has freaking made us take another look at at how in the dick dong chick can they make a freekin mic this cheep and sound so freakin good. man it is beyond me. This seems to be a German Co affiliated with Oktava, and collaborated with the Asian to make amazing microphones... David Royer MOjave yea i am thinking he knows his shit... amazing Microphones he makes, i am sure of it. but others that promise middle of the road price and state of the art sound... but middle of the road surpasses the Guru's who proved them-self... or if not t comes with in 700 to 10 to a Lawson? Don't think so go for the Lawson, Heil Sound they just seems to be priced right... i need to score a few of these for the studio, so back to... Recording Tools... so 100 USD can get you a Recording Tools Mic? man the 700, 900 have some low floor noise... and the otters are right up there with the parts assembled pak... what we have recorded so far has been? Why and the hell use another mic, awesome freakin transparent sound, and the passive ribbon is mind-blowing. but why so inexpensive... Freak... make you think twice... why spend 700 for a 16db (A Weighted) floor noise when you can get a 13db (A Weighted) for 140 and retain your tone like nary before... can't wait to try these on a drum session.
Old 16th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Man dit know you could fix hillbilly grammar... Man we received these mic's ... and they are light as hell... except the ribbon... and haven't delved into the 700 or 900 yet or 200 but the 520 and ribbon has freaking made us take another look at at how in the dick dong chick can they make a freekin mic this cheep and sound so freakin good. man it is beyond me. This seems to be a German Co affiliated with Oktava, and collaborated with the Asian to make amazing microphones... David Royer MOjave yea i am thinking he knows his shit... amazing Microphones he makes, i am sure of it. but others that promise middle of the road price and state of the art sound... but middle of the road surpasses the Guru's who proved them-self... or if not t comes with in 700 to 10 to a Lawson? Don't think so go for the Lawson, Heil Sound they just seems to be priced right... i need to score a few of these for the studio, so back to... Recording Tools... so 100 USD can get you a Recording Tools Mic? man the 700, 900 have some low floor noise... and the otters are right up there with the parts assembled pak... what we have recorded so far has been? Why and the hell use another mic, awesome freakin transparent sound, and the passive ribbon is mind-blowing. but why so inexpensive... Freak... make you think twice... why spend 700 for a 16db (A Weighted) floor noise when you can get a 13db (A Weighted) for 140 and retain your tone like nary before... can't wait to try these on a drum session.

how did you order the mic? i cant understand the website at all! i wanna get one sooo bad those would be killer for my mic locker! if you can inbox me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...the company that manufactures these mics (for Recording Tools) is iSK/Shengke/TongXin as I pointed out in a previous thread:
https://gearspace.com/board/low-end-...es-anyone.html
http://www.nbmic.com/products.asp?id=124

...for those in the US and Canada, iSK has a new North American distributor, offering the iSK branded versions of these mics:
iSK Products

...another company in the US selling mics from this same manufacturer is:
http://kaminstruments.com/studio-mics.htm

...and it now appears AudioHipster (who has been a source for Superlux products) is now offering the Recording Tools version of these mics:
http://www.audiohipster.com/AudioHip...ing_Tools.html
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
What?

(just kidding... )
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➡️
...the company that manufactures these mics (for Recording Tools) is iSK/Shengke/TongXin as I pointed out in a previous thread:
https://gearspace.com/board/low-end-...es-anyone.html
Products-Ningbo Tongxin Electronic Factory

...for those in the US and Canada, iSK has a new North American distributor, offering the iSK branded versions of these mics:
iSK Products

...another company in the US selling mics from this same manufacturer is:
Studio Mics

...and it now appears AudioHipster (who has been a source for Superlux products) is now offering the Recording Tools version of these mics:
Recording Tools
checking the ISK website is interesting. COMPLETELY uninformative though.

anyone know any specs, response, capsule design type (67, 11, 47, etc) of sexy looking mics like these?
Tube Microphones

and their "LDC" page is even less informative than the tube page. Eleven LDC mics all with similar descriptions more or less, no plots, no capsule descriptions other than sometimes the approximate size, and prices. If you believe them then every mic they make is ideal for me LoL.

Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphones

EDIT: I FOUND INFO: (and by the way, if this was posted already I'm really sorry! I didn't see this type of info but I bet it was in KV's post already if I bothered to read it thoroughly...)

http://www.shengke.com.cn/product.as...denser%20Mics#

DIRECT FROM THE MANUFACTURER. frequency response plots and so on. VERY NICE! leave it to the actual people who MAKE the mics to have the technical understanding to supply real specs. I hope the specs and response charts aren't made-up though LoL

For chinese mics the prices don't seem THAT cheap - on a par with CAD or MXL and so on. If they're similar mics to those then I'll stick with the brand names imho. But if they're BETTER, or if at least one or two of them are real steals, then which modesl are the good ones?

I love the look of all 3 tube mics but at those prices I'm not going to gamble on any one of them based on their vague descriptions. They could be no better than an apex 460 in sound quality and design despite having different bodies. OR they could be competitive with mics from Lauten and so on (which would be nice - super affordable chinese mics with a tip of the hat to the U47 sound in their design would be a REALLY NICE CHANGE).

ok, I'm off the coffee now, sorry for the chatter! hahaha :-D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley ➡️
checking the ISK website is interesting. COMPLETELY uninformative though.

anyone know any specs, response, capsule design type (67, 11, 47, etc) of sexy looking mics like these?
Tube Microphones
...Don, the manufacturer's catalogs are intentionally vague, as these products are only offered as base OEM models, which any brand line may tweak both cosmetically and electronically for their particular needs...companies like AKG Perception, Cascade, KEL, KAM and many others work from these base models...stock capsule is a 34mm 3-micron K67-type capsule, but good quality K47 and C12 capsules are also available (these same capsules are sold individually by microphoneparts.com)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley ➡️
For chinese mics the prices don't seem THAT cheap - on a par with CAD or MXL and so on. If they're similar mics to those then I'll stick with the brand names imho. But if they're BETTER, or if at least one or two of them are real steals, then which modesl are the good ones?

I love the look of all 3 tube mics but at those prices I'm not going to gamble on any one of them based on their vague descriptions. They could be no better than an apex 460 in sound quality and design despite having different bodies. OR they could be competitive with mics from Lauten and so on (which would be nice - super affordable chinese mics with a tip of the hat to the U47 sound in their design would be a REALLY NICE CHANGE).
...these are higher quality mics than the Apex, CAD (Chinese) variety, incorporating WIMA caps and better grade dual-bobbin transformers (see pic bottom left)...I have had one of these mics for some time now, and I've posted numerous times as to the quality and performance of my mic (same as the TM-4000)...interestingly, this particular model is voiced more towards the U47, with a darker tonality, and was marketed by the retailer I purchased it from as such (see left/center pic below):
EM T5000 Tube Microphone High Quality NEW | eBay

...I would rate these tube mics as very good quality...the iSK brand has a very good rep in Europe and Australia...the build quality is similar to Studio Projects (T3), sE (Z5600) or M-Audio (Sputnik)...the circuit configurations are clean simple plate-follower, not the cathode-follower style offered by the OEM Apex 460/Nady 1050 variations...Ben Sneesby used these tube mics as the base/donor mics for his original Beesneez tube mics (see pic right/center below)...they do not have proprietary-designed circuits as you would find in Advanced Audio, Stellar or Lauten tube mics...I shot out my T5000 against a Bill Bradley restored Neumann CMV-563 with a M7 capsule, and much to the studio pro engineer/owner's surprise, the Chinese mic performed respectfully enough for him to comment on the similarity in tone...the success of KEL's (proprietary-designed) mics is a testimony to the quality of this manufacturer's products...
Attached Thumbnails
MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!-t5000.jpg   MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!-shootout.jpg   MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!-beesneezjade.jpg   MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!-t5000case.jpg  
Old 1st May 2012
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
MC-200 Recording Tools Mic Mp3

Hey sorry for the drunken hillbilly post above, i think i humor myself most... and if someone someone replies to me on this post i may not see it... please forgive & send me a note... i don't get notified... anywho here is a drum sample Yonrico did for us... we had MC-520 as overheads and MRP-01 Recording Tools Ribbon mic's Blumlein under OH's picking up toms and MC-200 in front of drums as stereo room microphones, here is the MC-200 as stereo pair. these were thru the Greg Langley Channels on the Amek desk. here is the MC-200 as room mic's dry you can see the half of one 200 in the pic: Cheers ( Doyen (I would like to post the final result (all mic's & inputs used on mix) maybe on a Recording Tools MC-520 post.)
Attached Thumbnails
MC-200 Mic by a factory in China that I refuse to mention!-sam_1968.jpg  
Attached Files

MC-200 drum room2.mp3 (4.64 MB, 3204 views)

Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any care to post clips on vocals or guitar?
Old 2nd May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➡️
...Ben Sneesby used these tube mics as the base/donor mics for his original Beesneez tube mics (see pic right/center below)
Hi there, these are OEM body's that we did use but they were not donor mics, we bought them as skeletons and started from scratch but only for the first 100 mics.

this was a very long time ago, our current line up of bodies that we have been making now for years are all made in house. Even though these OEM bodies are quite useable, they fail to offer amazing results due to their base density deficiencies.

cheers
Old 2nd May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mics ➡️
Hi there, these are OEM body's that we did use but they were not donor mics, we bought them as skeletons and started from scratch but only for the first 100 mics.
...understood...here's your own post showing the implementation of another Shengke/TongXin tube mic as a shell for your own design:

https://gearspace.com/board/3731703-post7.html
📝 Reply