The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FMR RNP - High end ?
Old 13th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
I'm not sure if the RNP belongs in the High End Forum; after all it does have a -3dB down point at 300,000 Hz, but that's a forced roll-off up there. I don't know of too many high end pre-amps out there that are good enough to pass that kind of signal.

it needs its own category.

I know "recording ain't rocket science", but FYI, Mark McQuilken IS a former rocket scientist. He comes from a "Zero Tolerance" industry background.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The RNP has an outstanding build quality. If anyone totally disagrees I seriously doubt they've ever looked inside of one!
member no 666

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound125 ➑️
High end gear doesn't usually revolve around wall warts. Or perhaps I should say that 99.9% doesn't with the exception of designs like the Portico.
Its either "a rule" or its not "a rule" -- you said it can't be "high end" because it uses a wall-wart, I showed you something that is considered "high end" that uses a wall-wart which invalidates your entire argument.

While there is a plethora of "not high end" crap that also uses wall-warts, the fact of the matter is that "wall-wart" vs. "no wall-wart" is not part of the criteria. Things like "frequency response" - "headroom" - "linear phase response" are part of the basis for "high end" vs. "not high end" determinations, but wall-warts are not.

End of story.

Quote:
Even if the RNP had a fixed or detachable AC cord, I still wouldn't consider it high end on the preamp scale. I guess my expectations of high end are somewhat higher than the RNP?
I guess you really have no idea of what you're talking about, have never been involved in product design, and look at "GS myths" and "price tags" to make your product determinations. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact it seems to be some kind of standard practice these days... but I would caution you to lose the bigotry and gain some actual knowledge before inserting your foot in your mouth... but hey, whadda I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella ➑️
Quote:
Another classic example -- was there a part of "It's all personal taste anyway, as you well know! " you didn't quite understand?

Sorry to interrupt with a modicum of rational [experienced] thought... you may now carry on with your regularly scheduled pogrom.

Peace.
Yes, is true it might all come down to personal taste but saying that the RNP is better (superior) to the daking one is a bit funny...The build quality of the RNP doesn't come near Daking
I would never say that the RNP is better [or worse] than a Daking -- they're two entirely different sounds and tonal textures. Better or worse would have to be a decision that a USER would have to make while working on a project and having both tools available in order for that user to make a qualitative decision as to which unit would better suit the aesthetic of the project.

There are times when I have picked the RNP over a Thermionic Culture or a Great River and vice versa... it is all "application" and "aesthetic" specific.

As for "build quality"... the RNP is actually better built than the Daking... much lower failure rate, more rugged chassis. That's not a slight on the Daking, just a correction of your erroneous statement.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would never say that the RNP is better [or worse] than a Daking -- they're two entirely different sounds and tonal textures. Better or worse would have to be a decision that a USER would have to make while working on a project and having both tools available in order for that user to make a qualitative decision as to which unit would better suit the aesthetic of the project.

There are times when I have picked the RNP over a Thermionic Culture or a Great River and vice versa... it is all "application" and "aesthetic" specific.

As for "build quality"... the RNP is actually better built than the Daking... much lower failure rate, more rugged chassis. That's not a slight on the Daking, just a correction of your erroneous statement.[/QUOTE]
Really??? wonder why mines crapped out on me a few months ago.....must have had a bad one heh....still have the daking though ....and i do prefer the sound quality over the RNP...(PERSONAL TASTE)
Old 14th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As for "build quality"... the RNP is actually better built than the Daking... much lower failure rate, more rugged chassis. That's not a slight on the Daking, just a correction of your erroneous statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella ➑️
Really??? wonder why mines crapped out on me a few months ago.....must have had a bad one heh....still have the daking though ....and i do prefer the sound quality over the RNP...(PERSONAL TASTE)
We have done crazy things in the field with our RNP and it has performed 100% - it's the battery-operated front-end feeding a 1-bit field recorder.

Swweeet!

Did you contact Mark about your ill RNP? What was the outcome?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange ➑️

Did you contact Mark about your ill RNP? What was the outcome?
The other half of FMR Audio is Beth McQuilken - my experience is both Mark and Beth are incredibly customer service oriented - From their website fmraudio.com:

"Please call us, rather than emailing us for:

* Product troubleshooting or technical questions, and/or,

* Critical and/or time-sensitive communications.

Email may be good for some things, but it's too tedious, time-consuming and inefficient if you want a well-reasoned and explained answer to your question(s)! We answer the phone when we're here (9a - 6p, CST/CDT USA). Call us!
"

Mark took the time to address some questions over the phone with me when I was considering ordering an RNP - we had a great chat for about 25 mins that ended with a bunch of answered questions and me ordering a really nice preamp.

Just my experience though.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher ➑️
Its either "a rule" or its not "a rule" -- you said it can't be "high end" because it uses a wall-wart, I showed you something that is considered "high end" that uses a wall-wart which invalidates your entire argument.
So what, you cite the Neve Portico. It still doesn't refute the fact that 99.9% of high end pres don't use wall warts. I've worked in some nice rooms and I don't recall seeing too many boxes with wall warts. The other part of my argument is about the RNC being a good sounding preamp, but that's all.

Quote:
While there is a plethora of "not high end" crap that also uses wall-warts, the fact of the matter is that "wall-wart" vs. "no wall-wart" is not part of the criteria. Things like "frequency response" - "headroom" - "linear phase response" are part of the basis for "high end" vs. "not high end" determinations, but wall-warts are not.
The wall-wart is a criteria and most REs don't like them, myself being one of them. I got rid of my Grace 101s precisely for that reason, since I didn't like using them in live recording applications. You can cite all the specs you want but the RNP is not an incredible sounding preamp. Good sounding for the money, yes, but hardly what I consider the high end of pres or the creme de la creme. You can hype it all you want and invest in FMR stocks for all I care, but that's where the buck stops. If it was in the league of APIs, Neve or GRs, I would still be using a RNP. It isn't and thus, I don't consider it high end. My opinion.

Quote:
End of story.
Maybe your story.

Quote:
I guess you really have no idea of what you're talking about, have never been involved in product design, and look at "GS myths" and "price tags" to make your product determinations.
Actually, I don't have to have a background in product design to know that the RNP is just a good sounding pre and not much more. Moreover, your notion that only those with a such background would be qualified to make a determination is a fallacious argument, at best.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with that, in fact it seems to be some kind of standard practice these days... but I would caution you to lose the bigotry and gain some actual knowledge before inserting your foot in your mouth... but hey, whadda I know...
For starters, I didn't just fall off the turnup truck and have been involved in production and recording for a long time. I don't spend a great deal of time on message boards nor do I work in sales. I know what I like and it isn't the RNP. For example: you like the Gefell M300. I like the Beyer M930 (a significantly better mic, btw). You like the Brick. I don't and think it's a noisy box. These are all personal choices. You don't happen to agree with my personal choices, fine. But spare me the ****ing lecture on knowledge, Carol Castenada, okay?

Have a good one.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Awesome customer service?

FMR?

I can't even receive a response about new knobs for one of my pieces... I've contacted them several time to no avail. Pretty disappointed by that.
Old 18th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumimusic ➑️
Awesome customer service?

FMR?

I can't even receive a response about new knobs for one of my pieces... I've contacted them several time to no avail. Pretty disappointed by that.
How did you contact them, by e-mail? Just call them on the phone; that's the best way.
Old 19th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
When my well-used RNP finally had an issue, several years old, they repaired it for free, and treated me very well, spoke with both on the phone, super-nice people, IME. I also rate the sound of this pre-amp highly, and use it alongside Millennia, UA, Avalon, etc.
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have four channels of RNP in my rack, along with two channels of Neve Portico, two channels of API 512c, a Chandler Germanium, two channels of Great River 500-series, two channels of Groove Tubes SuPRE, a Focusrite ISA-428, etc. IMO the RNPs more than hold their own, and when you consider the price it's a no-brainer.

Honestly, if I was doing it all over again I think I would have been better off with 16 or 24 channels of RNP and putting the extra money into room improvements and microphones. The RNP is solid, dependable and sounds like what I put into it. What else does it take to be "high end"? The price tag? You could double the price on these and they'd be worth every penny.

If that's not high end, I guess I just don't understand the term.
Old 20th April 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I love the RNP. Incredible price for two solid channels. As for customer service, they're easily the best at it. I've spoken with the owner twice now, both on USED purchases and he couldn't have been more helpful . . . Really good folks at FMR . . . I'm surprised anyone would complain about their customer service . . .
Old 26th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just bought the PBC 6A after month of research here on gearlsutz and the www.
My thick button does not make that click noise which the bypass button does when engaging. Also I can not make out any difference when the thick button is engaged. Is the thick function that subtle and transparent to in comprisement to the normal function. Could it be that my pbc is damaged? is there suppose to be a click noise when engaging?
Old 26th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's always been an obvious (if sometimes subtle) difference with thick for me.

Contact support - they are very good - and so is the PBC - good luck
Old 17th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio ➑️
Could not disagree more...
GEAR is either on the high end scale or not..
FMR is NOT...
NO way...
You obviously never seen the FMR compressor sitting in many major studios in the world. Since this post is now 10 years old... lol I guess you know that by now lol.
Old 17th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefboii ➑️
You obviously never seen the FMR compressor sitting in many major studios in the world. Since this post is now 10 years old... lol I guess you know that by now lol.
yeah... 10 years, five pages and 153 posts to determine that FMR gear can be used in the production of high quality recordings. That's GS!
Old 3rd July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
FWIW, Marc Aubort, one the top, top Classical engineers used a Mackie 1202's pres with his vintage tube Schoeps' for a major label recording of the complete Haydn string quartets (and apparently several other jobs). I bumped into him on one those sessions, and when he saw the quizzical look on my face, he said simply - "they sound great".

His backup for the SADie system was a consumer portable DAT.

No gear snob, he!
πŸ“ Reply