The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
usb HISS disturbing my new zed10
Old 4th August 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
usb HISS disturbing my new zed10

hi all arround,

thats my first post + i allready feel at home.
read many hours profound + wise statements (some where not as wise as they were ment to be..), much knowledge infiltrated my weak brain..

i bought a zed10 yesterday, enjoying its different aproach + sound to my mackies, yamahas, soundcrafts, BUT: the usb return back from my lap is unbearable HISSY.
i tried everything (except opening the unit).
i am using ableton (at full vol) for that on a eeepc with xp installed. the recording seems ok for that 16bit, but the signal returning to the zed via usb is just A JOKE!!
here is a a statement which i found here on the side which refers to my situation, just in an oposite way: i have the probs on xp!

Quote:
I had XP on my laptop till the hard drive crashed, so I tried upgrading to 7 and found out when I got around to using the board again, I was getting almost 30 decibels of machine noise with the usb plugged in and no mic plugged in. I was getting the same symptoms of the noise changing when I tweaked the gain knobs too. I tried it on my XP desktop right afterwards and virtually no noise at 48000 khz (yet there was still some noise evident).

Try recording at 44100 khz at 16 bit because that is the only setting I've seen where there is absolutely no background noise without a mic plugged in. I haven't had a chance to try the win7 usb driver at 44100 because I long since uninstalled it and put XP on my laptop. Same computer, different OS, no noise now.

It would be stellar if A&H would make their own 3rd party driver for their own mixer because the variation between windows makes a big difference apparently.
i allready contacted a+h + would like to read some statements, although there seem not many zed-experienced arround here..?

thnx - ed
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
This may sound stupid, but check your sound levels in the XP Sounds ctrl panel and make sure the volume level is all the way up at 100%.

Also, make sure you don't have all the other possible monitoring buttons activated because this can contribute unnecessary noise from from open channels you're not actually monitoring.
Old 5th August 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
yes turbo, you are right, this all could be a reason for added hiss.
on the other side: this mixer seems so quiet, i have no problems with noise coming out of its circuit, the noise i am talking about is nearly louder than the signal..
i changed the plug from one socket to another + it made a little difference to the quiter side. so maybe the power connection is the way to go, connecting a power surge protector may be a solution.
otherwise this mixer IS FANTASTIC! i am allready thinking to change to a zed14, just to get more of it (but its huuuughe).

thnx -ed
Old 5th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I used to have the same headache on an old monitor amp. As soon as I plugged in my interface to the computer, I'd get an annoying hum. In fact, I even returned the amp and had them ship me a new one, all to no avail.

Solution: the amp manufacturer told me to try installing a ground lift on the amp. Instant success.

Give it a shot on the mixer. I bet it fixes you right up.

If you're worried about the lack of grounding, you'll have to use power from a different circuit than your computer uses. Or you can use a good power conditioner.
Old 6th August 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
problem resolved

shame on me! i forgot the internal sound mixer in xp..level was low there..
i am bad on pc, always worked on mac. BUT: my 0404 emu had no probs with the low volume out of xp...?
so the zed works fine now.
I LOVE IT!!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorc ➑️
shame on me! i forgot the internal sound mixer in xp..level was low there..
i am bad on pc, always worked on mac. BUT: my 0404 emu had no probs with the low volume out of xp...?
so the zed works fine now.
I LOVE IT!!
I had a feeling that might be it, right on. It's easy to forget about the windows ctrl panel when setting up the usb conxn on the ZED. Glad that worked out for you.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
2 tips...

use the asio4all drivers for your laptop with the ZED when using USB
way lower latency

also use a Ebtech Hum-X on your laptop to stop the noise, hum, interferance

it's $70 but WORTH EVERY PENNY, believe me

Buy Ebtech Hum X Hum Exterminator | Noise Gate & Suppressor | Musician's Friend
πŸ“ Reply