The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JBL 4401 Monitors
Old 20th February 2010
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
JBL 4401 Monitors

Hello everyone. I need some help on properly powering a set of JBL 4401's that I just got. I've been mixing with headphones for years (with pretty good results I must say), however now with no monitor experience I have no idea what to plug these things into without blowing them up. There's no ohm or watt info anywhere to be seen. Any advice would be awesome!
Thanks
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
They're 8 ohms. Don't worry about wattage, just assume that as long as your amp can deliver at least 50-60 watts, you'll be fine so long as you aren't monitoring at high volumes (which you should never do really)...

Basically, the beefiest quality amp you can lay your hands on...
Old 21st February 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks AlexK. I posted a similar question (about 4408s) earlier and never received a response, so, this helps. ChristopherK, let me know what you end up choosing as I'm in about the same situation as you and have never used monitors. I'm assuming the 4401s and 4408s are pretty similar.
Old 22nd February 2010
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the info Alex, I have a few possibilities. I have a Shure Model 700 Power Console that I use to record directly into my computer, http://www.shure.co.jp/stellent/grou..._700_guide.pdf , all my mixing is then done with adobe audition and headphones. The Shure is incredibly warm and I think I might be able to power my JBL's through it, but would my soundcard out have to go back through the Shure or could my JBL's be powered from my computer? To make things more interesting my friend has offered to give me a Samson S1000 Power Amp http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/r...000_manual.pdf that could possibly power my monitors as well, I suppose I have a few different chain possibilities but I'm starting to lose my mind over what to do!
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hi, as a long time JBL 4401 user, I can say that they are great nearfield monitors. My pair lived on various consoles during the 1980s (I bought them when they came out around 1984) and will now be in the living room in our new condo. Here are a couple of thoughts about how to get the best use out of them:

#1 , isolate them from whatever structure you place them on. Auralex Mo-Pads or ProPads are cost effective and will decouple them from your console or cabinetry for a much more clear low end.

#2 , use a decent power amp of 60W/channel or more. Clipping a small amp is more likely to damage them than the same volume with a big amp. Now that so many monitors are self powered, you can find lots of good quality amps for sale cheap, so shop around.

#3 , The best monitors are well voiced through the mid band, and these are quite good. Most real mix decisions are in the middle area. Try making mix decisions at moderate volume levels, comparable to a full speaking voice level, and your decisions will be better.

#4 , if the foam plastic surround on the woofers has gone dry, you can order rebuild kits from Ebay (search "JBL 4401"). You may want an experienced speaker rebuilder to do the work.

#5 , make some great recordings!
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

Hi guys

I know it's an old post but it seems appropriate to ask here.
I also have a pair of jbl 4401, found in the street in Paris 10 years ago.
I believe the tweeter are originals but the woofer were changed by previous owners.
Ive been using them with various second hand Amp I had, and maybe 5 years ago I bought a Marantz Pm5004.

I'm happy with the sound, in terms of balance and resolution, if it make any sense, but it lack a bit of bass (obviously) and maybe sharpness or agressivity.
well I'm listening mostly acoustic music, or smooth things, but sometimes I go for hip hop or contemporary electronic music and that's where I feel I may lack of agressivity or responsiveness or quickness.
Anyhow I barely push the power beyond half twice a year, and going further do not really seems to increase dB, but fusyness.

But anyway that not my core question.
I'm considering changing my Amp for a smaller thing, and a multiroom system, and I seriously consider using Amp hat for raspberry pi.
I think they are all class d amps, there is the
hifiberry Amp2 which can output 2*30w
Hifiberry beocreate which can output 2*60
Allo volt and just boom can both output 2*50w
Subtronics x5000 which can output 2*35

The question is, would these be any good for my speakers?
does it make any sense to swap my Marantz for such small amps?

Alternatively, fda Amp seems to be cheap and fashionable. Would it be a good idea to get one, and which model?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
cheers
J.
๐Ÿ“ Reply