ADAM A7 + Genelec sub? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ADAM A7 + Genelec sub?
Old 28th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ADAM A7 + Genelec sub?

Hi,

First of all, this is my first post on gearslutz, so please bear with me if I post this in the wrong forum...

I have a pair of Genelec 8030A together with Genelec 7050B sub. I have had this setup for three years and have been happy with it. But for some reason you just can't stay away from the local studio/music shop forever, so when I went there the other day to buy some cables, the sales person convinced me to have a listen to the Adam monitors, since he just had them all in the shop for one week. I was very impressed with the Adam sound, fortunately (or not...) he also had all of the Genelec 8000-series, so I could compare them back and fourth. I liked all of the Adam monitors in different ways, but the A7 is more in my price range and in the same league as the 8030 size wise. I went home and had a listen to my Genelecs at home and decided to sell them and get the Adam A7 instead. My question is: Should I sell both the 8030 and the 7050 sub and get the A7 and Adam Sub8, or do you think that the A7 and Genelec sub will work ok? I don't know much about sub's, they just sit under my table and do there job. I have been happy with the genelec sub, so it's mostly the monitors I am eager the replace.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Whats the "final" price different for you between
A7 and Adam Sub8 and A7 + Gen sub?
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztrumpet ➑️
Hi,

First of all, this is my first post on gearslutz, so please bear with me if I post this in the wrong forum...

I have a pair of Genelec 8030A together with Genelec 7050B sub. I have had this setup for three years and have been happy with it. But for some reason you just can't stay away from the local studio/music shop forever, so when I went there the other day to buy some cables, the sales person convinced me to have a listen to the Adam monitors, since he just had them all in the shop for one week. I was very impressed with the Adam sound, fortunately (or not...) he also had all of the Genelec 8000-series, so I could compare them back and fourth. I liked all of the Adam monitors in different ways, but the A7 is more in my price range and in the same league as the 8030 size wise. I went home and had a listen to my Genelecs at home and decided to sell them and get the Adam A7 instead. My question is: Should I sell both the 8030 and the 7050 sub and get the A7 and Adam Sub8, or do you think that the A7 and Genelec sub will work ok? I don't know much about sub's, they just sit under my table and do there job. I have been happy with the genelec sub, so it's mostly the monitors I am eager the replace.
The Gen sub should work fine. In terms of quality, I think the difference between it and the sub 8 would be purely subjective. Since the sub 8 is "optimized" for the A7 and A5 monitors, theoretically it would perform better. That said, unless your room is treated extremely well and you have performed all of the necessary measurements to insure that your sub is placed properly in your room and the low end is performing properly, then I can't imagine that you would discern any real difference between the two even if you doing an A/B test. FWIW, I had an A7-Sub 8 system and it was fine but I wanted larger main monitors so I upgraded to the Adam P22As, so I am familiar with the sub 8. Even in my well treated room, from my experience, I doubt I would have been able to notice much of a difference in the sub 8 and several others of similar quality.
Old 28th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Tomer1:> There is actually no big price difference. If I am able to sell the whole Genelec system 8030 + 7050 I'm hoping to be able to get the A7 + Sub 8. If I just sell the 8030 and keep the 7050 I probably have to pitch in with a small amount to be able to get the A7. My concern is If it's a better combo to keep the 7050 and use it with the A7 or if it's a good thing to go for a complete Adam system A7 + Sub 8. Any thoughts about that, maybe someone running A7 together with 7050?

drbam:> Thank's that helped a lot to get some user feedback! Well, no my room is ok, but not ideal of course in terms of acoustic treatment. You are probably right about that I probably wouldn't hear any real difference between the Sub 8 and the Gen 7050. Since I maybe even can "save" some money by selling the whole Genelec system and getting a complete Adam setup, I think that it's probably the way to go.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IMO the idea of "company matching" a sub to mains has no ground.
Both subs have sweepable cross overs allowing them to fit any speaker.

The Adam sub8 has more then twice the power of the genelec one so I would go with Adam. thumbsup
I have to say im a bit green , cant wait to build a spacious studio/control room outside of my house and get a sub to match my A7s.

Drbam has raised a good point,
A subwoofer is the ultimate tool to awaken the ghosts of room modes,
a 4-6` insulation wont help you much when faced with a 70hz dip/node , some resonant/tuned panels will have to be designed/made.
Be ready to bust your head and learn much about it or spend additional money on an acoustician.
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Tomer1: Thank you for your thoughts in the matter. I think I will go for a Adam Sub 8 then. Maybe there is something good about having it company matched anyway... For the looks, If not anything else! Twice the power can't be bad either! Thank's! thumbsup
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer1 ➑️
The Adam sub8 has more then twice the power of the genelec one so I would go with Adam. thumbsup
Be very careful when making such comparisons because:

1) It is not a given that the woofer can actually handle (make use of) the claimed amplifier power.

2) Amplifier power alone doesn't define the quality or the useful maximum SPL of a subwoofer. There are also other important variables like woofer/system sensitivity (=higher sensitivity requires less power), distortion, spurious noises, port chuffing etc. in play.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ilkka: I agree that more amplifier power on paper doesn't always mean better performance or quality. I'm a bit confused regarding subs so I'm appreciate any kind of thoughts in this matter, since I can't come to any conclusion by myself. Who favors Adam vs Genelec subs? I can compare them on paper and probably could listen to them in store, but I'm not sure that I would be able to hear any difference anyway... Do you work for Genelec Ilkka? Do you have any experience of the Adam subs? If not going with same brand matters, then the only question is, which one sounds best in the this price range?
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztrumpet ➑️
Ilkka: I agree that more amplifier power on paper doesn't always mean better performance or quality. I'm a bit confused regarding subs so I'm appreciate any kind of thoughts in this matter, since I can't come to any conclusion by myself. Who favors Adam vs Genelec subs? I can compare them on paper and probably could listen to them in store, but I'm not sure that I would be able to hear any difference anyway... Do you work for Genelec Ilkka? Do you have any experience of the Adam subs? If not going with same brand matters, then the only question is, which one sounds best in the this price range?
Yes, I work for Genelec. I have some experience with larger Adam subwoofers, but not the Sub8. Also it wouldn't be appropriate for me to express my thoughts in public whether they be good or bad.

It should be noted that usually the largest difference between similar good quality subwoofers comes mainly from speaker-sub integration i.e. how well the critical crossover region is handled. I can tell that in Genelec speakers and subwoofers this is taken care by having carefully tuned and phase-matched crossovers for both of them (lowpass and highpass), and a four-setting phase switch for distance compensation. In 7060B and larger subs all crossovers are in the sub, so you can benefit from them with any speaker. The 7050B has only built-in lowpass filters so you will need 8020/8030 speakers (with the 2. dip enabled) for a perfect match.

It is almost impossible for me or anyone else to say whether your current 7050B or Sub8 would work better with your new speakers. If you can, test both and see whether there's any difference. If not, you can safely keep your current subwoofer.
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
That is my concern, since the Genelec 7050B only has a 85 or 120Hz crossover adjustment switch (for perfect match with the 8020/8030). I'm wondering If this will match the Adam A7 in a good way, or If I should go with the Adam Sub 8 that has the adjustable crossover 50-150Hz for more precise tuning together with a none Genelec monitor? I guess that the 7060 would have been easier to integrate to different monitor brands... Right?
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=Ilkka;4836973It should be noted that usually the largest difference between similar good quality subwoofers comes mainly from speaker-sub integration i.e. how well the critical crossover region is handled.[/QUOTE]

That is a really important point.

Frank
πŸ“ Reply